Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Delftship tutorial  (Read 120022 times)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Delftship tutorial
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »

Craggsy

What part of the superstructure are you having trouble with? You should be able to do it using the tutorial I did.

I think you will have to develop all the deck clutter from basic shapes - cubes and cylinders - and work them into the objects you want.

Its possible the pro version may have more of these functions, but I cant be sure as I have never used it, I am a cheapskate really!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Craggsy

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2010, 05:11:35 pm »

Hi

I hadnt seen your tutorial, so I will follow that closely, and get back to you, a Dive ship has loads of structures like Tautwires and transponder beacon winches and dive bell launching equipment on the sides as well as cranes and lifeboats etc etc, but at least now I can get to grips with the main accommodation block.  Hopefully when I rejoin my ship in June I can send you some drawings or post them on the forum or something maybe then you can see what I mean.  The model will be too complicated for me so I am going to draw some plans up using Delft ship for an MTB or something like a PT boat and try and make that to start with.  Your tutorials are brilliant and I am slowly getting the hang of the software, so much easier than AutoCad.  Thanks for all the help!!

Craggsy

jasper52

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2010, 09:16:04 pm »

Thanks to all contributors to this tutorial, helped me a lot to find my way around in freeship.

Am trying to get acquainted with the basics of how to model a hull in FS, managed more or less al the steps as described in this tutorial (so far) but still couldn't figure out how to create a cambered (main)deck.
Extruding the deckline at side to a deckline at center is clear but creates a "flat" deck (transverse) with the sheer at centerline being the same as the sheer at side.
I'm aiming at a cambered deck, arc shaped with a segment height (at centerline) equal to 2% of the beam (at midship section) of the hull.

Anybody here who know's the trick?

Jasper

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2010, 09:56:10 am »

Jasper,

I dont think there is an easy way around this in the free version, the Pro version MAY do it for you, I dont know.

I have achieved what you are looking for by manually moving each point to the desired position and fairing the resultant curve. You can lessen the work needed by temporarily removing some stations and control points, set the position of the remaining points  to give you rough curves and then add more stations/control points as required until you get what you are looking for.

Hope this helps

Ian

ironman

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2010, 03:16:25 pm »

I have tried to get on the delftship website about 10 or 11 times of entering my info and everytime being stopped supposedly because of the
spam Check.   Everytime I put numbers in the box and press register, it does not let me.  Any help would be appreciated.   Ray

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:08 pm »

Ray,

I have just logged in with no problem, maybe its the security setting on your browser?

Ian

ironman

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2010, 10:34:46 pm »

I am having trouble getting registered on the Delftship website.  I tried about 12 times but can not get  the Spam Check right.  I putr in all my info and put the answer in for Spam Check and it keeps going back for me to start over.  All I want to do is get the free copy of Delftship.  I just want the free copy so I can try it out.  Help, help. please.  ironman

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2010, 08:25:51 am »

ironman

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2010, 01:49:33 pm »

Thanks Ian.  Got it now.  Now to read.  ironman (Ray)

jasper52

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2010, 08:44:50 pm »

@Ian,
Thx for your reply, looks as if there is no easy way to get the result I want.

Have found a way, more or less as you say, by manipulating points.
To illustrate wat I've done sofar (it's not a worked out model, I'm just trying to find out how to do surface modelling with this software), a few screenshots are attached to show the method I used to get my cambered deck.

Background info, my starting point is the bodyplan together with the table of offsets of a multi-chine launch of appr. 9.00 (L) x 3.00 (B) m.
The camber in the maindeck, at full B, is set at 60 mm with a circular arc as profile; segment heights at buttocks 0.5 and 1.0 m can easily be calculated to get the decheight at these points.

What I did:
step 1) imported (as surface) the offsets of 3 frames, see pic 1,
step 2) created a deck by extruding the deck at side edge and entered the co-ordinates of the 3 points at the inside deckedge as given in my offsets for deck at centerline, see pic 2,
step 3) splitted the 3 transverse decklines (twice each) to get additonal control points and entered the (calculated) co-ordinates of the points at the buttocks,, see pic 3.

result: see pic 4, looks like a nicely cambered deck.

A long way to get there, an easier way might be by adding control points ("in space") with the co-ordinates for the deck and then creating a new face.

Jasper

Proflooney

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2010, 08:28:52 pm »

Hi guys Im new to the forums here. I have delftship but am haveing a ton of problems. I did the tutorials and stuff and thats sorta ok for me for little rowboats but I have 2 warships I have been working on and I cant figure out how to finish them off also one of them really got screwy looking. I am trying to learn this as I need to do a hull for a 1/72 yamoto and a 1/72 USS Missouri so that when I get to Arizona in a couple weeks I can CNC the hulls out while im there with access to the equipment. can someone help mentor me on what I am doing wrong? I saved them as 3.6 version as its easier to swap with most anyone. I am willing to make the hulls available for anyone that wants once I get them finished.

Joe

Proflooney

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2010, 08:31:58 am »

I posted my yamoto if someone could look at. i'm not sure how to add more stations though or get the proper shapes for the stations. I think I got the outline covered but don't know if I can do the hard corners the way it is currently but now would be a good time to crease the outline edges to get the shape im needing then get to the hard stuff like shaping the hull

my files at http://www.proflooney.net/yamoto.zip

I saved it as version 3.6 so that its compatible with most ppls

Joe

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2010, 09:07:52 pm »

Joe,

Nice work.

To add stations, on the 'view toolbar' toolbar, click on the item that looks like a hull with a pair of scissors under it, you will get a window open called intersections. open the left most icon and you will get a list of stations. To add, either click on +1 and specify the distance, or, click +n and fill in as required.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Proflooney

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2010, 09:38:37 pm »

I will try it. but my question is I dont know where to go next on this hull. I mean I got some corners that need to be a sharp bend and not sure hoe to make them sharp. and for shation shape to I have to take the lines that I used on the station view and add more of the nodes to adjust the shape more. lol im just so confused right now as I can always get to this point and then get lost as to where to go next. then in the rear buy the deck theres a weird notch cut out of the hull im not sure where to go with that ie how to do it

Joe

Proflooney

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:09 am »

Ok guys I am learning more and more but have 1 question thats kinda hard for me to explain. I am going to set up my own grid bullock and station lines at the scale of my drawing and use the ones in the program that I create rather than on my drawings so I can clean things up on my screen and so that way the program will produce a nice set of scale drawings for me.

my question is do I need to still give the proper dimensions at the setup screen or can I just leave it at the default if I am going to manyally input all that stuff later?

joe

Proflooney

« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2010, 09:52:37 pm »

guys I have started a tutorial from a newbies point of view and covering stuff thats not covered here, to make it so other total newbies like me can understand. I was wondering should I add it onto this thread or start a different one?

Joe

fatcat123

« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2011, 11:44:41 pm »

I'd like to see further tutorials on this program or freeship as i wish to use the plate development option. It is locked with free version of delftship but does work with freeship.

Dan

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2011, 09:25:32 am »

Joe,

Apologies for not answering your question sooner, but regarding dimensions, as long as you input dimensions that are 'sensible' at the start, as you develop the hull, you can scale in all directions as you need to get the sizes you really want.

I have found that working at dimensions close to full size, then when you are happy with the results, then scale to the size you want gives the best results as it reduces any little limps and bumps in the profiles.

Regarding to noobies tutorial, maybe a new thread would be the way to go, then people can work with the one most relevent to them without being fazed by the more advanced stuff.

Dan, I havnt worked with plate development, but I will have a look when I can grab some free time.

Ian

fatcat123

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2011, 10:21:07 am »

I was playing on freeship last night on the latest version only released a few days ago.

I'm currently building a whitby coble from scratch and have measured up the real boat in every place i possibly can. The boat has 21 ribs and obviously a transom. I have measured the distance between each rib and the beam at each rib in order to get an overhead profile of sorts.

Now aswell as other measurements, is there a way to basically input my measurements so that i can get the correct overhead proflie straight away? I have also measured things like the depth of the hull at certain points. Assuming this could be done and i had the perfect coble on my screen, is there a way then to create like a internal profle to be used for things like the ribs and the actual jig used to lay the planks onto as its clinker built. I would also need an overlap on the planks for that reason.

Dan {:-{

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2011, 11:04:14 am »

Dan,

I think you may have to input the points individually, I cant think of any other way - doesnt mean there isnt another way, I just dont know it!

Regarding clinker build, if you follow the tutorial from post 51, and then when you have the planks shaped up and ready, you could scale in the appropriate direction - not f/a to give you the overlap you need whilst preserving the required curves. Alternately, you could select all the points on a curve you want to move to create an overlap, then move them all by the same amount in the direction you want.

I havent actually done this, so it might be a good idea to make a smaller hull first to prove the process?

When you have the hull completed, if you then create a linesplan you will get a set of half profiles at each station you have created along the hull. You then need to make a copy of each profile and use it as a template to make your building profiles.

These can also be used to create any ribs you may need to be a permanent fixing in the hull.

Hope this helps.

Ian

fatcat123

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2011, 11:08:16 am »

Hi Ian,

Thanks.  :-))

Aslong as it can be done then i shall try. I havn't found a way to enter the beam measurements etc but will have a good read over the thread again and see what i can come up with. Theres a distinct lack of tutorials on this program on the net  :((

Dan

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2011, 11:19:15 am »

If you look at post no 17, you will see the hull profiles as a linesplan. this is the starting point for cutting out a set of building profiles.

Ian

fatcat123

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2011, 09:59:10 pm »

Howdy,

Been messing around on freeship on and off for the last week in an attempt to model a 33ft Whitby Coble for a new build im going to do. Its not perfect but the shapes there and it just needs a little evening out.

its been very difficult to say the least in getting to this stage even though I have the full size boat which I measured up. The model even has the prop tunnel.

Opinions please!

Dan

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2011, 05:08:45 pm »

nice work, not sure about the colour scheme though ;)

fatcat123

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »

Thats just for clarity,

Without your tutorial, i wouldnt have been able to get to that stage so thanks!  :-))

Dan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.