Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delftship tutorial  (Read 120045 times)

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Delftship tutorial - printing frames
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2013, 10:53:56 am »

I have often wondered if I could get frames drawn in DS. Well, I have found its possible, a little fiddly, but possible.
You need to draw each frame as an individual layer and then open it in bodyplan view with the control net off….

Hi Ian,

I also have been mulling over how to produce actual building frames, that can be directly printed out and glued onto the ply wood for cutting, from my lines plans I have created in DELFTship (DS).
Preferably I also would like to do that from DS in situ rather than exporting the stuff (e.g. File->Export->DXF 2D Polylines->checkbox crossed "create individual files"),
and then having to import it again in another CAD program to further modify the frames therein individually (e.g. reduce planking shell thickness, construct inner frame contour with cut outs and recesses for keel, stringers etc.)

My problem with this approach is that I first and foremost lack such a back end CAD software (that should run on Linux and should be free to use).
I have given DraftSight a try but haven't been able to import to it any DXF files exported from DS.
So it's been pretty useless. Also I am not versed in the usage of a CAD program.

I already have created quite a few lines plans with DS which I believe are usable for building a model hull from them.
E.g. let me take this hull of a ferry that I have created recently to show you where I cannot follow you.

So would you mind to elaborate a little further on how actually to take a layer of an individual body section.
Sorry, but your statements above are a little too terse to me.

I try to attach a screen shot that I refer to, and which I hope will appear below.

The sections that I usually have DS displayed once my hull model is reasonably fair are those that I call Simpson Stations as I follow the frame spacing convention from traditional manual lofting practice where these distances were required for numerical integration of areas by Simpson Rule.
So it's usually Lpp/20, and at the hull endings Lpp/40.

I use the DS Intersections menu to arrive at those stations.
I never constructed or faired them individually, and I even wouldn't know how to do that with DS's internal hull model where one only manipulates the grid nodes of the defining polygon/polyeder.

I prefer using the same Simpson Stations as actual building frames in my model construction because I got used to it when lines plans where obtained as paper copies from the shipyards.

In the screen shot below I have selected via Intersections menu Simpson Station 17, i.e. with an Lpp = 148 m of the original vessel, 125.8*20/148.
I activated the pink hatched curvature display (which can be scaled a little by hitting F9 (smaller) or F10 (larger)) so that one can see the selected station.

Now, how would I have to create a new layer of this particular station then?
Could you please explain to me?
As far as I know, layers can only be defined for selected (i.e. yellow) points and edges of the control grid.
But my control grid points don't coincide with the 2D polyline points required to define the selected station 17 spline.

Regards
Ralph

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
Re: Delftship tutorial
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2013, 11:03:17 am »

My method is by no means the best way or the only way, however I basically imported the linesplan into turbocad and copied the 'station' and did a mirror copy and then modifying this within cad to make notches in it for framing etc.

You can then go into 3d space and since you already know the spacing of the 'stations' then its fairly straight forward to position the frames to be able to loft the sections and create the hull. if it has curves and twists then Rhino will have to be used to unroll (flatten) the loft.

Take a look at this thread - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39886.0

I must add that for my design, i used freeship which was delftship before it changed its name. It allows as a free version, the plates to be developed and exported directly as a 2d.dxf for use with cnc work.

I havn't really messed with the delftship stuff and as far as i know, you cannot develop plates on the free version.

Dan

RV jetcat

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2013, 11:27:43 am »

Hi All,
Im wading through freeship programme and trying to get a catamaran hull design started using the data supplied.
Can any one walk me through the process,  if this is at all possible with this programme.

Many thanks
SPJ

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2016, 06:41:01 am »

Man I been using Solidworks forever and been trying to mess with delftship on a design I got and having absolutely no luck. just getting into shipsand found nice drawings for a mission boat but cant seem to get it going anyone still use this program?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.