Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: passports  (Read 10690 times)

regiment

passports
« on: August 22, 2009, 02:51:53 pm »

watching airport on itv last night did i hear right that to travel in the uk  by a plane  a passport is required

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: passports
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:00:22 pm »

no it's a photo ID required such as a
Passport, Driving License and similar ID :-))

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 05:52:45 pm »

But not a military ID on certain airlines  <*< <*< <*<
Don't Assume Check

regiment

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 06:19:28 pm »

so my bus pass is ok as it has a photo

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »

so my bus pass is ok as it has a photo

I am not too sure
I think it ha to be a proper official ID
but don't quote me on that

But not a military ID on certain airlines  <*< <*< <*<

tell me about it  >>:-( >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 06:37:57 pm »

You need to check with the individual airline, I think that at least one requires a passport.

They all have different rules for cabin baggage too.

Usually you can find the information on the airline website. It's not worth taking chances if it means there is a possibility of you being turned away or having to check some of your handluggage into the hold at an exorbitant rate.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:06:15 pm »

All of which proves to me that travelling by air (within what used to be known as the United Kingdom) is just not worth the hassle.
Drive to Scotland or Wales and you don't really even notice a sign saying you have arrived. Use video conferencing. Or the telephone. But if airlines keep on making life difficult then more people will refuse to use them. Then watch their profits plummet. I forgot to mention "Railways"....but why bother. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Wasyl

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 07:07:58 pm »

The acceptable forms of I.D.for all internal flights
The only accepted forms of photo ID for the UK are:

Valid passport
Valid driving licence with photo
Valid national ID with photo
Valid International Student Card
Valid Bus Pass with photo
Valid Work ID with photo
Valid Northern Ireland Electoral Card. (With Photo.)
Valid NATO/ U.N. Military I.D.
Valid Disability Card with Photo

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 07:16:59 pm »

Drive to Scotland or Wales and you don't really even notice a sign saying you have arrived.

When was,the last time you drove to Scotland Bryan?? In case you,ve not noticed Bryan,
There is a big sign approx 1 mile north of Berwick upon Tweed,that Welcomes you to Scotland in about 4 different languages,there,s a view point, The Saltire is flying, there,s a burger bar, and the same goes for on the other side,except,Its Welcome to England,h St George,s cross flying,

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 07:17:56 pm »

Quite right Bryan, over the last decade or so the airlines and airports have conspired to make life as unpleasant as they possibly can for their so called "customers". As a white male on the wrong side of 60 I I do not feel more secure for having to remove both my belt and my shoes when going through "security", and I've no doubt the elderly lady in front of me last time we flew felt much the same. Once you get into the machine you are squeezed into a space which makes the average bus feel palatial by comparison and not allowed to move for hours. I always take the ferry wherever possible, far more civilised, but unfortunately in most cases if if you want to go abroad you have to curse and bear it. Flying used to be fun once, they had whirly things on the fromt of the engines in those days....

Colin

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 07:28:34 pm »

Shouldn't that be a haggis bar, Wasyl?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 08:04:26 pm »

" Valid driving licence with photo " does that mean my old pink drivers licence should be changed?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andygh

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »

Quite right Bryan, over the last decade or so the airlines and airports have conspired to make life as unpleasant as they possibly can for their so called "customers". As a white male on the wrong side of 60 I I do not feel more secure for having to remove both my belt and my shoes when going through "security", and I've no doubt the elderly lady in front of me last time we flew felt much the same. Once you get into the machine you are squeezed into a space which makes the average bus feel palatial by comparison and not allowed to move for hours. I always take the ferry wherever possible, far more civilised, but unfortunately in most cases if if you want to go abroad you have to curse and bear it. Flying used to be fun once, they had whirly things on the fromt of the engines in those days....

If you want cheap flights that's what you get, if you want more room you have to pay, simple as that. As for security rules it has nothing to do with the airlines, these are government orders. I work airside at the airport and I still have to remove my belt/ no liquids over 100ml etc. It's the law

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 08:31:11 pm »

Silly law then! Although that doesn't mean we don't have to go along with the Airports/Airlines implementation of it. It's much easier to make everyone conform, including little old ladies, rather than to take a targeted approach as El Al does with probably greater effectiveness. Present security is heavily influenced by political correctness rather than effective security solutions.

As far as cheap flights are concerned, I'd gladly pay a bit more but the opportunity isn't usually there on short haul unless you pay three times as much for Business Class - and you don't even have that option on charters. It's a safety issue too, with people crammed in the way they are the chances of getting out in an emergency are considerably diminished. It doesn't have to be that way, people in companies and government have made it that way because they always go for the easy option rather than the "best" one.

People in authority are not necessarily cleverer or know better than you or I, frequently the opposite is the case, they just happen to have endeded up in a job where they have power over other people which is not at all always wisely exercised. I'm not advocating breaking the law but the old saying that "the law is an ass" is all too frequently true and we should remember that.

Colin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 08:35:58 pm »

" Valid driving licence with photo " does that mean my old pink drivers licence should be changed?

Not unless you want - and it will cost you £20 %%

Barrie

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 08:36:57 pm »

But after passport control you can buy liquids at the shops and take them onboard !!

We went to Ireland last year , I had to hand over my see through bottle of water purchased frm the airport on the outward journey after I was allowed to drink most of it infront of the security lady, My Son was allowed , no questions asked to take through a Purple plastic fruit shoot bottle , the lady said that was fine  !!! %%

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 08:37:22 pm »

Fallen foul of the Forum software agian. For "xxxx" read " a bit like a donkey".

Colin

Bee

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 08:42:36 pm »

A few weeks ago after landing in USA I kept my waer bottle provided on the plane. Atlanta x-rays people coming OFF planes and wouldn't let me take the water OUT of the airport.

andygh

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 08:50:33 pm »

Silly law then!

The belt thing was brought in because someone was caught with a concealed knife tucked behind theit belt buckle, how do you detect that without removing the belt?

Although that doesn't mean we don't have to go along with the Airports/Airlines implementation of it.

You do if you want to travel I'm afraid and it is the airport security that implements it, it has nothing to do with the airline, the checkin staff may warn you about it but that's the end of their responsibillity

It's much easier to make everyone conform, including little old ladies, rather than to take a targeted approach as El Al does with probably greater effectiveness

El Al are exceptional, I would say around 75% or more of bags that are taken on board their flights have been opened (they have a special cutter for ripping open locked bags), that's after they have been x-rayed twice hardly a targetted approach. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff El Al get up to security wise but that's enough said about that.

Present security is heavily influenced by political correctness rather than effective security solutions.

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it, mine differs

I'd gladly pay a bit more but the opportunity isn't usually there on short haul unless you pay three times as much for Business Class

Exactly my point, you get what you pay for. How much did short haul flights cost 20 years ago?

with people crammed in the way they are the chances of getting out in an emergency are considerably diminished

Possibly but I'm not sure where you got that information from?

andygh

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 08:53:37 pm »

But after passport control you can buy liquids at the shops and take them onboard !!

These liquids have already been security screened

We went to Ireland last year , I had to hand over my see through bottle of water purchased frm the airport on the outward journey after I was allowed to drink most of it infront of the security lady, My Son was allowed , no questions asked to take through a Purple plastic fruit shoot bottle , the lady said that was fine  !!!

Strictly she shouldn't have done that, the law on childrens/babies drinks ie. milk is slightly different.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 09:09:59 pm »

Ultimately it's all about risk management.

The current security measures are mainly aimed at detecting Muslim extremists and rightly so. Little old ladies and elderly male Brits are not going to rate highly on the risk scale but they still get an equal share of attention. I'd rather the effort was biased towards higher risk targets such as young men travelling alone. Unfortunate for them perhaps but that's life.

I usually set off the arch detector at Gatwick despite being without my belt, it's probably due to my hearing aids but the resulting wanding and patting down is pretty cursory.

I'm not altogether convinced that the risk of somebody concealing a knife in their belt justifies everybody having to remove theirs for checking - are ladies obliged to remove their foundation garments? A terrorist wanting to smuggle a blade on board could get hold of a carbon fibre one, but it would be unlikely to get him through a locked cockpit door.

When I board my homeward flight from holidays the security arrangements are frequently very different from those in the UK, I have never had to remove my belt or shoes so if I were a terrorist I'd have a better opportunity on the inbound flight maybe?

So no, I don't have much faith in airport security.

Colin

andygh

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 09:25:00 pm »

The current security measures are mainly aimed at detecting Muslim extremists and rightly so. Little old ladies and elderly male Brits are not going to rate highly on the risk scale but they still get an equal share of attention. I'd rather the effort was biased towards higher risk targets such as young men travelling alone. Unfortunate for them perhaps but that's life.

True, but if the so called Muslim extremists are aware of this how do you stop a "little old lady" who's been brought onside, I guess what I'm saying is, how do you seperate the honest from the dishonest

I usually set off the arch detector at Gatwick despite being without my belt, it's probably due to my hearing aids but the resulting wanding and patting down is pretty cursory.

Most likely, the detector arch also goes off randomly, around 1 in 20 I think. The sensitivity can also be adjusted according to DFT instructions

I'm not altogether convinced that the risk of somebody concealing a knife in their belt justifies everybody having to remove theirs for checking - are ladies obliged to remove their foundation garments? A terrorist wanting to smuggle a blade on board could get hold of a carbon fibre one, but it would be unlikely to get him through a locked cockpit door.

Yes, I agree with all that, where should the line be drawn?

When I board my homeward flight from holidays the security arrangements are frequently very different from those in the UK, I have never had to remove my belt or shoes so if I were a terrorist I'd have a better opportunity on the inbound flight maybe?

True, although all Euro countries are supposed to apply the same rules, as ever we are the only ones who do

So no, I don't have much faith in airport security.

Me neither, there are too many loopholes. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t disagree with you, I’m just explaining that the rules aren’t just there to annoy us, they are doing the best they economically can I guess

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 09:37:43 pm »

Andy, don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you. The points you make are entirely justified and I'm just having a bit of a frustrated rant! As you say, the current arrangements are probably the most economic for a given situation - you can't have trained detectives screening every passenger, it's just a shame that things have turned out this way.

I frequently travel by ferry and it's clear that the security screening is targeted by the way that cars are selected for examination. Two guys in the frond are a good bet for being stopped. Man, wife and two kids in the back - hardly ever!

Just out of interest, I was on the first Virgin flight out of Las Vegas after 9/11 and the Americans were struggling to put in security screening on a rather ad hoc basis. As we approached the scanner in a huge queue a guy about four places in front suddenly  bent down to his suitcase, opened it and brandished what looked like a firearm. It was actually a joke gun which fired a string of plastic sausages! You can imagine the effect on the other passengers - unbelievable!  %) The security staff took it away from him, wrapped it up in brown paper, stamped it and gave it back. We were quite glad to get home!

Colin

andygh

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 09:44:18 pm »

Andy, don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you.

No, I realise that. It's not just the passengers who get pee'd off with it either, most of the airport workers are more so (apart from one or two little Hitlers)

garston1

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 09:49:07 pm »

My Mother-in-Law gets stopped everywhere she go's, mind you she is the dead spit of Karl marlden
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.