Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plug and play?  (Read 4403 times)

hama

Plug and play?
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:26:45 pm »

Hello!
I have a couple of M-tronics speedcontrolers and so far I'm very pleased with them. In fact, I was planning to perhaps get a few more and now I have some questions. I see that they have a new controller with "plug and play". No calibration needed, so why do anyone need the calibration function? Is it if you want to move the neutral position for instance? I also saw that they have a controller called "Mirror" with the same range in both directions, doesn't all speedcontrolers have that? I will soon need to put two controllers in a two prop boat so offcourse I want them to have the same speed. Hope somebody can help me out here, and sorry if these are stupid questions. I have also checked out the Action range and I understand that they have happy customers so perhaps I'll try them next time.

Thanks in advance!

Hama

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Plug and play?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:02:54 pm »

I have three "plug and play" speedcontrollers and they are excellent.

However in my two prop Sentinel I have ACTion Electronics equipment as on their web site http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Slipway%20Sentinel.pdf and that is on a completely different level. Would definitely use it again.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

artisan100

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:16:00 am »

Hi Hama,

I'm a newbie here, so perhaps not the best person to answer your questions, but from my own experience I can tell you that controllers don't all have the same output forwards and reverse. I bought a s/h boat recently with some electronics missing, and when I wired it up and put it in the water it seemed OK but maybe slower than expected. A wiser head on the poolside commented that it sounded happier in reverse than forwards, so we swapped the wires around and lo! we suddenly had a much faster boat. The controller was a Sea Hunter (from Ripmax) and it seems as though it's programmed to have reverse as 50% of forward speed.

HTH

Geoff

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:42:15 pm »

It's very rare that you need a boat to go as fast astern as forwards, ( no jokes about the Italian navy please ) so some
controllers have reduced speed astern (eg, Ripmax Sea Rover, only 50% astern), they say to stop the stern from being
over whelmed but  think it saves on Power Transistors....!

The "calibration function" maybe like a 'reset' so different controllers can be used at a later date. I've also used it to
limit the "throw" of the transmitter stick so that I get full throttle at say 80% of stick movement.

You'll be very lucky to get two motors starting and spinning at the same speed throughout  the throttle range, motors,
couplings alignment, shaft friction, props, all create variables and will effect the final prop revolutions but as 'Sir Dicky of D'
says the Action combined mixer and dual speed controller unit - P94  goes a long way to reduce the effect.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hama

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:21:33 pm »

Hello again and thanks for your replies!
I must admit that I haven't checked if my ESCīs have different range in one direction but should it be so it seems easy to fix then. The "Mirror" ESC seems like a good choice for bowthrusters. I'll have to give it a thought before I decide, thanks again.
Hama.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:15:35 pm »

The "Mirror" ESC seems like a good choice for bowthrusters. I'll have to give it a thought before I decide, thanks again.
Hama.

So is this..................... and we sponsor this Forum, too.

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P79.pdf

FLJ

787Eng

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:33:54 am »

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:30:37 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 12:30:59 pm »

Or this.
With this one it aready bulit  :}

Point of information:
So are all of the others mentioned so far. Both Electronize and ACTion offer units in both kit and built form, but only about 1 in 300 of ours are sold as kits so we don't generally advertise them.
FLJ

787Eng

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 03:24:19 pm »

Do people still use these ?  {:-{

Yes they do!
Just replaced my one and only ACTion speed controll (P80 Came with the boat) with an Electronize and now have way better slow speed control of the motor.

Mark

samuel15g

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 12:31:10 pm »

Purchased a Plug and Play Mtronics 15Amp speed controller from Model World at the Warrington Show.
On installing it in the new Otto Lauffer the reverse mode wouldn't work, though the appropriate LED was showing.
Tried to ring Model World but couldn't get through ( an excellent company like that maybe needs more phone lines!)
Decided to ring Mtronics direct and spoke with their "Technical Dept" as I assumed I'd disabled reverse mode somehow, apparantly thats not possible with Plug and Play.
Although I'd removed the factory fitted battery and motor connectors they recommended that I return it for full replacement.

Excellent service and product.

Regards
Terry H

jimtrellis

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 12:53:19 pm »

On installing it in the new Otto Lauffer the reverse mode wouldn't work

Excellent service and product.

Sorry, but I don't understand how a product which didn't work can be described as "excellent". In my world anything which fails to operate properly when connected and operated according to the manual is "faulty", irrespective of the subsequent service.

ajb68

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:48:30 pm »

Sorry, but I don't understand how a product which didn't work can be described as "excellent". In my world anything which fails to operate properly when connected and operated according to the manual is "faulty", irrespective of the subsequent service.

Wouldnt it be fair to say that possibly all companies who produce items such as this are liable to have the odd one that doesnt perform correctly ?

Surely there approach to the problem and solution offered  was excellent ! i dont think you can say that a product may not be good just because 1 has been found to be faulty
                                                         Regards Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.