Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer tug topdecks  (Read 5762 times)

Dreadstar

Springer tug topdecks
« on: August 25, 2009, 04:45:04 pm »

I just wondered if this would work. Build a upper hull and deck,that drops over the main hull,to the depth of the front and rear face plates? Would I still have to worry about water ingress,or  would it be a bit safer,than a flush deck? Please forgive the rough sketches.

andyn

Re: Springer tug topdecks
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:47:48 pm »

Looks good, but I think the deck will then try to float off...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:06:07 pm »

Great idea Dreadstar!

Yes, I think you would still get water ingress but that should easily be cured by a soft gasket of some sort and some securing screws / bolts / catches to compress it slightly.

(You're not that bad with a pencil either!)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadstar

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:17:40 pm »

If I ran a bead of silicon sealer around the outside of the hull at around the midpoint of the overhang,that might just do the trick. There wouldn't be much of a clearance between the inner and outer hulls anyway.  Then,as you had recommended to someone else about this,line the inside of the outer hull with clingfilm,and push it down into position on the wet silicon,and Bob's your auntie. ok2

Dreadstar

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 06:28:02 pm »

I think that I'm going to have to nickname my Springer "The Tank",because the sides are cut from 3/4" planking,and the side and bottom spacers are cut from 3/4"x1 1/4"timber.The top deck will be 6mm ply,and the bottom will be 3mm ply. This things going to weigh a ton,good job that she's only going to be used as a rescue tug,(albeit not a serious decked out one). :embarrassed:

andyn

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:38:24 pm »

That'll be one hell of a fighting springer, it'll be unmovable provided it's got some storng motive power in it :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 04:18:49 pm »

I'm tempted to call it,"Attilla the Sprung".

Bill Harris

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:21:56 am »

I just wondered if this would work. Build a upper hull and deck,that drops over the main hull...
My Springer is in-the-works, but I'm trying the same idea.   One hull, with several "superstructures" that fit over it.  Access to the interior is a 4"x6" opening with a 1" high coaming which has a gasketed cover.  Designed to be waterproof, we'll see how it works out.

The hull has 8-32 threaded brass inserts, two in the "bow transom" and two in the transom tat can be used to attach the topdeck.  Alternatively, yuo could put strips of Velcro front and rear and velcro the topdeck down.

I've got a "standard tug wheelhouse" planned, and am also working on a couple of hollow fiberglas shells made by the "lost foam" technique.  They completely cover the top and sides of the Springer.

I'll post pics in a few days.

--Bill

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 02:10:05 am »

Here's my solution to sealing the superstructure to the hull shoebox opening.  It's a "D" section foam weatherstrip.  The clearance between SS and hull is such that the weatherstrip is crushed about half its thickness.  It keeps ALL H2O out, and provides enough friction to keep the superstructure firmly in place.  Might work on your design, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.