Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital caliper Battery?!?!  (Read 37787 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Digital caliper Battery?!?!
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 10:29:22 am »

I had a similar problem with mine. The problem was caused by the foam box lining pressing the 'On' button when I closed the case, or stored the case on its edge (caliper leaning on its side against the foam). Now the foam has flattened a little (I could have helped this with a knife) and I store the case flat on the shelf, the problem has gone.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 12:15:40 pm »

No that doesn't work Bill, even though the auto shut off works, the battery is still flat after 3/4 days, so it may be a short someplace?
But what I didn't make clear is that you can use any thickness battery as long as diameter is correct - just leave off the battery cover, which I had been doing because of the constant need to remove the battery.

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 09:34:59 pm »

Same problem good point on the foam pressing the button. Will leave battery out from now on. Thanks

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2018, 10:48:27 pm »

I have a digital G Clamp.....alas a hunk of iron fell on the face & smashed the display  <*<

On further inspection it was not the display as such but a piece of glass covering the actual electronic pad

The on/off button does not work  >>:-(......but the display just blinks......2 seconds with mm......2 seconds with the dimension

The UOM [units of measurement] button between " & mm also works

That was about 2 years ago.......battery is still powering up the device......day in ...day out

Seems such a waste to condemn it to the bin :P

The image captured confirms the mm displayed but no digits...bit it's OK..... I know they will show up in a sec
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 12:20:37 am »

I just saved a lady of my acquaintance £480 pounds by being able to change batteries in her Honda car keys. Honda couldn't open them 'cause one had a rusty screw and one a damaged head. They wanted to charge her £240 each for new ones.Robbing  swine.I drilled the head off one and will drill it out later  The other one I got the screw out and drilled it out for a 7BA  nut and bolt. Made the nut captive with Gorilla glue. Used plastic magic as a primer as it is an odd plastic but Plastic Magic seems to stick anything plastic except polythene types. The batteries? Well one was £2 but 5 for £3:66 Panasonic CR1616 should last a bit if she keeps them in the fridge. Slightly off topic but I thought it worth a mention

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 12:28:28 am »

The foam could have been shrunk with a quick flash of a lighter flame. Magic

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:15 am »

Use mine to measure thickness of mdf etc - ( produce laser cut kits etc so thickness is critical for joints). Bought from Maplins on special for 10 quid . batteries go flat in about  3 months so always buy packs of six - unused they store for up to two years and are the cheapest type of button batteries here. Unusual in that its a 4" model not the usual 6" . Better half is always trying to swop her standard type for mine. Would never part with it , most useful tool especially as one gets older and ordinary caliper markings become too small to read............

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 05:47:57 pm »

Also, try buy better batteries, Duracell, Energizer etc, mine works MUCH better with good batteries!   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 01:58:52 pm »

I like the digital calipers due to the amount of stuff i have that the aliens came down and played with.
they miniaturised all the markings and lettering on every thing i own.
i am now wearing reading glasses and using a magnifying lens to stand half a chance of reading the digits.
now what i have found is that the wife bought me the cheapest digital caliper on the net, it was about £1.99 free post.
she got this purely as a joke.  But i compare this to my Moore and wright micrometer and the cheapo is extremely accurate !!
i have also had it compared to a very expensive mitutoyo and was accurate until it got past 5 inches then lost 0.001".
The good thing is. i can actually see the digits. its a cheapo plastic carbon fibre lookey likey if you're about 10 yards from it.
But the digital readout being big just makes life so much better.
Now i am looking at getting an upgrade to the all stainless steel ones with fractions on them too.....

i am almost down with the kids ha ha

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 02:20:59 pm »

I think the aliens came to me first.... I did as an experiment buy a set of digital callipers from a well know inter web site, £4-99 delivered...and wow, checked the accuracy and just about spot on, it reads in decimal and something called millimetres, not sure what they are and I don't suppose they will catch on {-) {-) {-) {-)
Much lees eye strain these days
Steamed up all the time

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 09:43:37 pm »

I find them millimetres are brilliant. the other day I measured something and it was 14 inches and 7mm.. so they are handy.
for the sum of £4.99 they should be spot on too.. that is a lot of wonger in proper English money £4,19.11 d   :police:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.