Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Type VII Static Dive  (Read 3056 times)

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
Revell Type VII Static Dive
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:15:04 pm »

I've had the kit for a while & have finally got round to making a start.
First some decisions need to be made.
    )
    • What type of dive system, small air pump ( blood pressure armband type) & snorkel system, or some form of piston tank ( made from a syringe)
    • Cylinder or lift off "old School compartments - latter looks fav' for more access.

To start I've put the hull together & cut it along the water line.
    I've got the motors, shafts props etc, biggest issue will be connecting the control surfaces & vent the air - there's no way I'm opening up those deck holes!

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Revell Type VII Static Dive
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:08:27 am »

Hi Turb,

I am building the SeeHund and i have the tank three quarter made, only problem is that i cant find a suitable seal for the top before the lid goes on? Any ideas, sorry for jumping on your thread....

Russ

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:17:45 am »

That looks like it's going to be awkward Russ, but a couple of ideas spring to mind:

Blue Hylomar instant gasket, the stuff used in car engines. It doesn't stick to surfaces very well but if applied each time the lid comes off, it should form a good gastight seal and is easily cleaned off and re-applied each time. This is the messy idea!

The other and possibly cleaner idea might be to firstly drill the lid and box, tap your screw holes into the box so the whole thing fits and will screw down evenly all round. Now, liberally coat the lid with paraffin wax where it is supposed to meet your box. Apply silicone bath sealant to the edge of the box, making sure the box is clean and dry, fit the lid and lightly screw it in place, observing the silicone sealant displaces any air pockets. You should be able to see this through the perspex box cover despite the wax coating. When the whole lot has gone off... and you need to give it a couple of days, heat the lid gently with a heat gun, the wax should soften and  the lid should come away leaving the silicone seal attached to the edge of the box. it will of course be a perfect seal to the lid and if you didnt fully tighten it down beforehand, you will have a bit of 'give' in the rubber to ensure a positive seal when you finally do the screws up a little more firmly.

Thats the theory but I would recommend you try the idea out on a couple of bits of perspex first just to prove the point and ensure you know how much heat you need to apply to make it work.

Good luck Russ

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:43 am »

Thanks Chris,

I will give that a try, maybe i will start another topic so as not to clog Turbulents thread as i think there will be many questions that i will need answers for...  :embarrassed:

Russ

Wasyl

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

judging by the thickness of your perspex,i agree that tapping the perspex to accepts crews would be your best bet,then you could apply self adhesive rubber draught excluder, to the box or lid,you can get it in B&Q it comes in various guises,i.e.single or double width i.e.5mm/10mm,
another way is to use the clear silicone,i.e.the one that smells of ascetic acid,but without useing the wax,smear the lid of the box with the silicone,let it cure,then screw down gently onto box when you remove it,no silicone will attach itself to the box as its already cured,
There is another way also, which i have used in the past, you will need an inside tube from a bicycle, cut the tube into strips,apply thethin rubber strips to the lid using a good quality glue, once set,drill through the rubber where the screws go,then put lid on the box,this will work every time,and the rubberwill always beattached to the lid,
Wullie

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:12:01 am »

Getting back on the original thread here Turb.. That boat of yours.. it looks quite small!
I would deem it a great favour if you could avoid getting it caught up in my props!!! ok2 {-)

das boot

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 06:36:56 pm »

"- there's no way I'm opening up those deck holes!"

Where's your sense of adventure chap....get drilling!    O0

Rich

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 08:37:17 pm »

Getting back on the original thread here Turb.. That boat of yours.. it looks quite small!
I would deem it a great favour if you could avoid getting it caught up in my props!!! ok2 {-)

Dont think it will like that weed in the pond either!

It's not to small - about 2 feet long, but everything inside will need to be micro & neat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.