Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hms daring at portsmouth this weekend  (Read 2159 times)

tim_uk

hms daring at portsmouth this weekend
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:26:53 am »

if you are around portsmouth today well worth having a look aboard hms daring - quite a queue yesterday to get on (about 1 hour) but worth the wait. You could even go in the control room but no photos allowed in there - you don't need to pay either.

good view of the carrier from the rear deck:

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: hms daring at portsmouth this weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 09:42:54 am »

Yes I went yesterday, left until later and only had to queue for 20 minutes.

Even better is the reserve model collection display in the RN Museum. Some really lovely stuff there although you do have to pay to get into the Museum. I was impressed with the model boating stands of the Portsmouth Club and Surface Warship Association - very well laid out indeed.

I'm going back today!

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:42:20 pm »

It's quite amazing just how much larger Daring appears compared with her predecessors. The flight deck can take a Chinook and the hangar can service a Merlin. The ops room is enormous and situated at upper deck level instead of being buried away in the depths of the hull. There must be 30+ consoles in it. The foredeck is completely free of gear, just a hatch up front to reach the jackstaff.

The stealth features mean that it would be pretty difficult to differentiate between a scale and a semi scale model!

Colin

farrow

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 06:08:29 pm »

For those that are intewrested Daring has been at the Army terminal at Marchwood opposite Southampton most of last week, on a re-ammonition trial. I believe it goes back some years ago when the MoD put all the ammo dumps together under a tri services management. The Army being the biggest department, quetioned the viability of the RN ammo stores and suggested then it would be cheaper to keep the Army central stores and dispose of the RN ones, then resupply the ships as required by lorry at any port. So the RN has lost its fix wing aircraft to the RAF control and now could probaly lose thier ammo supply control to the Army.
Also last week, the Ark Royal had a family day, but it was considered not cost effective to sail her for the day as usual so she stayed alongside and the Red Arrows performed a display for them.
In the basin at Portsmouth is the Southampton, Nottingham, Invinceable, both Castle boats laid up for disposal. Also RFA's a rover class, Oakleave and a supply boat plus two Lst's laid up.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 06:18:58 pm »

if you are around portsmouth today well worth having a look aboard hms daring - quite a queue yesterday to get on (about 1 hour) but worth the wait. You could even go in the control room but no photos allowed in there - you don't need to pay either

We've already paid mate, for all of it.   O0

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.