Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: working capstan  (Read 4462 times)

ajb68

working capstan
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:46:30 pm »

I am about to start building the TYPHOON on a hull from models by design , though i know fitting is a long way off i would like to ask those who know what is the best way of making a working capstan . i plan to use the tug for towing , i look forward to your comments
 regards Andy  :D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ajb68

Re: working capstan
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:09:30 pm »

Cheers martin , im particularly interested in the screwdriver chopping one ! will need plenty of advice on this build as its the first tug ive built like this so i hope you guys have plenty of patience  O0 , iv always built fishing boats as i was a fisherman and its easier to build what you know i spose but tug towing looks like fun and im keen to have a go at it ,ive got a feeling this learning curve is gonna be pretty steep  :}

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:23:58 pm »

Hi and welcome ajb68,

You are venturing into tug towing but you mention a capstan, could you possible be referring to a tow winch?
just to make your head spin that little bit faster.

R,

ajb68

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:59:29 pm »

Hi and welcome ajb68,

You are venturing into tug towing but you mention a capstan, could you possible be referring to a tow winch?
just to make your head spin that little bit faster.

R,

I saw a working capstan on a tug at the beginning of the year and the chap used to tow from this , not much knowledge of tugs but wouldnt think the real thing would do this but it seemed to work well  ok2 what do you think ? and thanks for the welcome  :-)) Andy

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 07:32:35 pm »

Hi ajb68,
I have two working capstans on my towboat. I used two large 1/32 scale capstans from Mobile Marine Models. I drilled these out and inserted a 3mm shaft. I then drilled at 90degrees and inserted a pin through the capstan and shaft. The reason for this is easy removal without taking the deck of for future maintenance. The motors i used were two MFA 250/1 geared 12v motors part No 918d.
These capstans work fine in fact if I tighten the ropes to much i either snap the 2mm rope or pull other peoples tow bollards off.
Hope this helps.
Destroyer42

ajb68

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:48:18 pm »

That sounds like the kinda thing im looking for  :-)) thanks very much for all your help  :D Andy

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 08:49:52 pm »

Hi ajb68,
I have two working capstans on my towboat. I used two large 1/32 scale capstans from Mobile Marine Models. I drilled these out and inserted a 3mm shaft. I then drilled at 90degrees and inserted a pin through the capstan and shaft. The reason for this is easy removal without taking the deck of for future maintenance. The motors i used were two MFA 250/1 geared 12v motors part No 918d.
These capstans work fine in fact if I tighten the ropes to much i either snap the 2mm rope or pull other peoples tow bollards off.
Hope this helps.
Destroyer42
  hi  destroyer 42    your a vandal  %) 'pulling peoples bollards off' {-)   how is the boat???  regards  ray

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 06:35:12 pm »

Hi Ray111,
Still vandalising the lake.
Destroyer42

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 10:17:25 pm »

i was down there  during the week its very full of water  & weed!!   regards ray

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 08:32:16 pm »

Ray111,
Down the lake today Monday wasn't to bad. The park warden said they are going to put the blue dye in this week to stop the sunlight making the weed grow and hopfully this will do the trick. Last time the did that the weed went in a couple of days.

Destroyer42

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:02:19 pm »

hi destroyer42  thats good news :-)) i was going to come down today   but got carred away with building at home  :D time just ran out    regards ray

catengineman

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 01:10:14 pm »

They have put the dye in our lake and the weed is still there but only on the bottom of the lake.

OK for the props but I anchored in the center and dragged up a bob Marley the size of a coal sack! which took ages to drag to the side so I could clear the flutes of my anchor >>:-(  wont be using the anchor again.

R,

TomTheKraut

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 11:44:35 am »

Hello all,
there's someone who has built a working capstan, not only jitter-free but with free-fall option for feeding out the chain as well  :-))
Have a look at http://en.ankerwinde.eu/ and who knows, maybe this system is the one you've been looking for.
The guy sells his system, but why not take an existing idea and modify it to one's own needs  %)
The principle becomes very clear in the product video at http://dahmen.de/article34486-93.html (check the video in the demonstrator plexiglass hull)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 21 queries.