Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on radio sytems - For IC boat  (Read 2901 times)

pheonix

Advice on radio sytems - For IC boat
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:55:55 am »

Just before Xmas I posted on MBM looking for engine suppliers for a new IC hull my wife bought me for a birthday present. Well progess is slowly being made and I am now looking around for suitable radio gear.

Now its been a few years (20+) since I last dabbled in RC and it looks like the market has made huge steps forward and I am completly lost were to even start.

I appreciate that 35MHz is just for the fly boys but looking on the Futaba home site they are offering systems in 27MHz, 75MHz and 2.4GHz. Are these usable in the UK??

The reason I am asking is that I am currently working in the US and have the opportunity to buy over here and bring it back to the UK when I next return home.

I am only looking for a two or three channel system - one standard and one high torque "1/4 scale" servo at present.

Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to buy out here, better to buy in the UK?? - if so can anyone recommend a good supplier. The set would only be for recreational use so not looking for top of the range.

Thanks in advance for your help

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice on radio sytems
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:35:42 am »

Because the IC will be both big and fast, with the potential to do damage to itself and others. I would recommend buying a quality set whatever frequency you choose.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice on radio sytems
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:36:23 am »

***topic name modified***

Flying Sparks

Re: Advice on radio sytems - For IC boat
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 07:53:31 am »

I appreciate that 35MHz is just for the fly boys but looking on the Futaba home site they are offering systems in 27MHz, 75MHz and 2.4GHz. Are these usable in the UK??

The reason I am asking is that I am currently working in the US and have the opportunity to buy over here and bring it back to the UK when I next return home.

Pheonix

It's not a difficult choice on frequency, 75MHz is not legal in the UK, 27MHz is old hat, 2.4GHz is the way to go, no frequency clashes or worrying about pegs. That is unless you want to use it in a submarine then 2.4GHs will not penetrate the water  :o in this case use 40MHz.

There is a problem importing a 2.4GHz (or any other frequency)set from the USA though, they use a different output power to the UK and rest of Europe. Also it should have a CE mark to make it legal to use in the UK. Not a problem though as you can get a 2.4GHz set over here for about £40 including receiver and extra receivers for about £10 each, the great thing is that you don't need to buy any crystals.

Phil.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:34:59 pm »

Also A failsafe unit of some sort is a must..... only a few quid but well woth it for preace of mind
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

pheonix

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:20 pm »

Gents, many thanks for you replies - as always its appreciated.

So obviously I will hold off buying anything over here and wait until I get back to the UK.

Now another possibly naive question - are the main stream systems compatable. Basically, can a buy a Futaba servo and plug it into anoher manufactures receiver?? Are the plugs/connections compatable? For the last boat I rigged I bought a "package" of radio/reciever and two servos but that was more years ago  I care to remember.

Obviously wihile I am over in the US, I have the option to buy the high torque servo from the local shop, which happens to be a Futaba dealer. When I priced them up back home they seemed to be coming in at around 60-75quid.

Essex2visuvesi  - thanks for the advice about failsafe, while certainly invest in a couple (one for my other boat as well)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 06:41:21 pm »

Servo's are interchangeable between manufacturers. For 27 and 40 Mhz systems, transmiitters and receivers are generally interchangeable as well, although its best to stick with one brand. For 2.4Ghz systems, then you HAVE to stick to one brand.

Barrie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 06:50:30 pm »

Servos interchangable. Futaba plugs have a tab on the side that can be removed.

Hitec do a cheap high torque servo HS815BB, about £30.

PMK

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 02:27:32 am »

For 2.4Ghz systems, then you HAVE to stick to one brand.

Nah.....
I've been using Spektrum digital servos with a Futaba Tx/Rx for ages.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 07:11:09 am »

Nah.....
I've been using Spektrum digital servos with a Futaba Tx/Rx for ages.

I should have specified Tx and Rx must be from the same manufacturer for 2.4Ghz O0

Barrie

PMK

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:26:26 am »

You did. It's just that I'd read it wrong.
Sorry about that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.