Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with davits  (Read 2816 times)

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
Help with davits
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:50:36 am »

Does anyone have drawings, plans or photo's of ships davits, the ones I am looking for are refered to as Lums Type (not Quadrant), these were fitted to passenger ferries during the 1940/1950 period. I am building a ferry at 1/48th scale and these would be prominently situated on the decks.
I have the plans for the ship but the davits are not too clear, any help would be appreciated.
H.Q.

Tankerman

Re: Help with davits
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:36:09 pm »

Is this what you are looking for?

Chris

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 04:37:56 pm »

Thanks Chris and the PM from John Haynes, the photo's and information has been a great help, armed with this info I can start to build the davits, good job there are only twelve.
Howard

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 06:05:54 pm »

Be very careful when you make the top curved bit. The pics don't show it, but the davit curves inwards from just above the screw, and then both narrows and bends more so that the eye in the end is vertically above the boat lifting hook. In addition, the whole thing tapers in all dimensions! Not an easy thing to make. Really, as far as making one is concerned it isn't all that much removed from the Quadrant davit. Take away the actual "quadrant " bit and put a hinge pin at the outer edge, then the principle is really just the same. So if you can find some front or back views of a quadrant davit I think you'll find that the top bits of the 2 sorts are near enough the same. When I had loads of the things to make for "Norseman" I used perspex and using a power file did the tapering bit, and sort of melted the top curve with a gas torch until it fitted my wooden template. Took ages!
I'll have a bit of a trawl for mor info. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:06:03 pm »

Just done my "quick trawl" and have come up with not as much as I expected. I think I'll have to put more of my "paper" photos on disc!
12...3 different sorts of "Lum" (or "luffing) davit.
29...A more "modern" version of the same.
30 and 01...A bit of an "oddball", but was used on coastal ferries.
Norseman....A "blow-up" of the quadrant davits. Not all that good, but it shows the davit curvature and "thinning" that was common to both types.
I hope this helps. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 07:12:13 pm »

Thanks Bryan, the type on the plans say "Taylors Lum Davits", I don't know if they are a particular style as the base support frames are a peculiar shape, this is the problem area. the plans are shipyard from Cammell Laird, the davits carried Fleming 72 person Lifeboats. The main arm is shown from several sides along with the rigging and falls, it will be fun to make as you say.
Howard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.