Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pocahontas  (Read 6834 times)

rmaddock

Pocahontas
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:19:07 pm »

Hi all!
Since I've been asking technical questions elsewhere I thought I'd say hello and post some pictures of my yacht.
It's a Marblehead built plank on frame from the "Pocahontas" plans as bought from Traplet: https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=1578
So, here are some recent pictures....I'm determined that she make it into a Lake this year as she's been on the go for about ten years now, on and off  {-)

All encouragement gratefully received.............

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Pocahontas
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:40:59 pm »

Really nice looking yacht  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

rmaddock

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:49:25 pm »

Thanks.  :}

Obviously not scale, as such, but I was after something that'd look nice in the front room.......it's too big to hide away  :embarrassed:

ronkh

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:12:52 pm »

Hi.

Never hide them away!! <*< :police:

Ron.

rmaddock

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:15:41 pm »

Hi.

Never hide them away!! <*< :police:

Ron.

Indeed not Ron.  Anything made up of 5% wood and 95% blood, sweat and tears needs to be flaunted as much as possible  8) :-))

rmaddock

Re: Pocahontas...sometime later
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:05:54 pm »

Sometime later......she's about ready to sail.  I'm not certain that I'm brave enough though.

With some nice new 2.4GHz Spektrum DX5e controls, all the sails rigged and the hatch covers/superstructure secured she's just waiting on a slightly calmer day than today is up here in the Lake District.

Don't look too closely or you'll notice all the super-glued granny knots everywhere  :embarrassed:

How do you chaps ever work up the courage to put years worth of work into the water for the first time?

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 09:12:54 pm »

Hello

Did you ever sail Pocahontas?
She looks very well.
I have the drawings of the original marblehead from Traplet, ordered in a burst of enthusiasm, but I do not the ability to plank it
I think these old marblehead designs always look good on or off the water.
I have just completed the renovation of such a yacht from the 50s, unfortunately banned from the lounge but she sits in my boat house on display.
I have sailed her a couple of times but have to make a larger rudder as she was vanes steered so only needed to keep in a straight line.
Now radio controlled
I am currently working on an old 10rater from the 60s.
Regards
Terry Thorpe
Nottingham
Sailing is always a challenge and every voyage different

rmaddock

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 06:27:47 pm »

Hi Terry!

Yes I did sail her; here's a link to the video  :embarrassed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCm6xAyAC8

I'd tell you what book I read about planking in but I'm currently on holiday in darkest France.....if I remember when I get back I'll recommend it.

Cheers!

Robert

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 10:34:34 pm »

Hi Robert
Thanks for the link
She certainly looks well on the water, and the wake shows a good hull.
I have just finished renovating a similar boat, built in the early 60s, similar to yours but the lines were not as fine.
Mr Daniels certainly designed  beautiful boats.
I have the book written by Daniels and Tucker about yacht building but I do not have the patience to build plank on frame or shadows.
I do have examples of plank on frame yachts in one metre, marblehead and 2 x 10 raters, recently sold my 6 metre, got too heavy for me
I admire the workmanship on these hulls.
Enjoy your holiday and your sailing too.
Regards
Terry
Sailing is always a challenge and every voyage different

rmaddock

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:58:59 pm »

Thanks for the kind words Terry,

I must admit that if I'd known how much work was involved in planking a hull, then I may not have started  %%

Anyway, it only took about ten years, on and off. I was very relieved the first time I test floated her in the bath that she sat perfectly level just high of the water line.  With the rigging added she seems perfect.....much more by accident than design.

I've had her out again since in a much stiffer wind and was very pleased indeed.  That big keel does a good job.  :-))

The book I worked from was "Boat Modelling" by Vic Smeed.  Quite an old book, I think , but just what one needs.  I was also doing an evening class at the time in Violin making so small, precise wood work and bending things to shape was something I was quite up on.

I don't suppose I'll ever build another but at least it can be a family heirloom......provided their ceilings are high enough  {-)

Cheers!

Robert.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.