Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: caldercraft "ameranth"  (Read 1925 times)

kennydow

caldercraft "ameranth"
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »

hey
well 1st time poster here been lurking for a few weeks getting some info. thought i would post seeing as i (think) i am nearing the end of my first boat build. after a few searches i couldn't see any posts on this kit so here goes. this build was actually started around 2years ago then i got tied up with uni and working to pay to go to uni :) , so this summer i saw the box and though why not finish her. go all the deck done now and most of the cabin and fish hatches built and installed. the kit is ok instructions take a bit of prior build experience but the pictures page helps alot. the wood and pre cut parts are excellent tho i don't have anything to compair them too. changed the paint on the hull mainly as i wasn't confident painting 3 colours on the hull. anyway here is the pics of it so far I'll try keep this up dated as i work through it. http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/kennydowuk/boats/ more pics of the build are all on here

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: caldercraft "ameranth"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:37:09 pm »

There is a recent article on the Model Boats site featuring this kit http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=5276 but nothing on Mayhem so please do keep us up to date.

Colin

Capt Podge

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:10:57 pm »

Welcome aboard matey !

I built the same model a couple of years ago and found it an interesting build.
First sailing trials and I sank her  :(( However, I managed to recover her intact, dried out the electrics and tried again the following week. She survived this time and my analysis of what went wrong the first time was quite simple - 1. I had the battery sitting too high in the hull (did this for ease of access) which made her a bit top heavy. 2. I had the sail fully rigged and the breeze put her over on her beam ends. This allowed water to enter the hull via the cut-out for the tiller rod and through the main hatch. Also, because the battery wasn't secure, it shifted and contributed to her inability to come upright.  >:-o
Simple answer - shift the battery as low down in the hull as possible and secured and lower the sail so the wind doesn't push her over.  :-))

Sorry I don't have any photo's of the build, nor any of her completed. I will endeavour to get some photo's next Sunday and post them on here if I can.

kennydow

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:36:53 pm »

thought i would give a fast update on my progress. pretty much finished her only a few door handels and the hand rails at the stern to fit but looks fine with out. no sailing picsas of yet if all goes well it will get wet tomorrow fingers crossed she survives.
as can be seen in the pics i have folded the sail on the mast rather than having it up hopefully this will stop the wind catching it and tipping her over. im amazed how good the boat looks now the masts and rigging are done. really proud of it, never thought my 1st build would come out this nice   :}

now to the photos.

more pics on the photobucket link above
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.