Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeroflyte kit bash :)  (Read 24248 times)

steamboatbob

Re: Aeroflyte kit bash :)
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 11:20:55 am »

WELL HERE IT IS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-65NayPao0

and i will say now i do say the odd expletive

and i will post the aftermath of it in a day or two <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

steamboatbob

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

Ok The anger has subsided just a little bit so here are the photos of what a concrete wall does to a balsa boat going flat out

What happend was Again there was a stick in the water that i ran over and it grabbed the rudder bending it up and to the right at the breakaway point so it is not really damaged then the boat started to turn right suddenly and i was trying to turn but to no avail i should have just taken my finger off the throttle but  I did not think of that at the time. %)   and it ran straight into the edge of the lake which happens to be made of concrete

this is the aftrmath

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 02:51:55 pm »

that's very sad because it looked really nice when I saw it, but because of the way it is designed and built  you should be able to fix it with a bit of sheet balsa..
nice to see the pictures of your lake again it was a nice day out

Peter

steamboatbob

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 01:33:11 pm »

well things are travelling along nicely as i managed to get my hands on another kit and made some templates into 2mm and .8mm ply and have started to make it Harder, Faster, Stronger

the templates are all cut out and i am building it again as it is a great desgn

Sunshine

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 03:58:40 pm »

What Steamboatbob hasnt added is that he has finished the new boat, it looks great, he fitted it with a brushless motor and it goes like a "Bat out of Hell"

Sunshine

The long Build

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 07:01:54 pm »

Great thing about balsa , easy to replace..

Those Birds did not seem the bit least bothered about the boat either..

Prophet

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 07:09:52 pm »

Nice range of them here too for the uk guys
http://www.centuryuk.com/Products/Balsa+Wood+Kits

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 07:13:18 pm »

I reckon we'll have to have an eezebilt 50+ one of those - if someone wants to design one....

steamboatbob

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 06:00:39 am »

here it is atm with a few more things to be done

i grabbed the brushless motor and esc out of my joysway cat as that thing is just too unstable and wacked it in, also I got a lighter aluminium rudder with a new strut system comming soon so they are both red

This new upgrade is made from 0.8mm and 2mm ply all the internal bracing is made from 2mm and skinned with a 0.8mm ply coated with epoxy and painted black i will try to make a video of it this weekend so you can see what it does  :}

oh yeah forgot to say with a 11.1V Battery it weighs only 650 grams  O0 and goes like the proverbial

steamboatbob

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 10:19:18 am »

and here are the vids

this one i only had it on 7.4V and running alongside a brushless  Kyosho jetstream 800 it was easy to handle and went quite well IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptj1UognfDM&feature=related

and here it is on Steroids ( 11.1V)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyKmeJ_As30&feature=related

Enjoy
 :-)

I think i might build a bigger version of this at 650mm and put in a bigger engine %)

knoby

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 11:30:21 am »

I m really impressd with that Bob, even on 11. 4 volts it seems really stable. i doubt the original designer ever envisaged their little boat going that fast. it seems a really good way of getting maximum MPH for ur bucks.   :-))

Prophet

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 01:32:52 pm »

Dude that rocks im so gonna buy one after seeing that!!!

steamboatbob

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 06:36:25 am »

Plans are now in place to upscale this little beastie into a mid size monster

luckily I kept all the templates i used to create the second one i have put them on the scanner and scaled them up 189% to make the hull 700mm long and with plans to get a 540 can 3000-3500 Kv brushless motor i do believe that will handle it nicely and i have a 150 amp etti esc and a 14v lipo i could use so costs wont be so high but will need a new drive system i will be keeping it to a inboard setup but will put the motor as far back as possible and use the battery as a ballast.

i will be using 2mm and .8 mm ply again but i might do a veneer skin over this but im unsure yet as to what i will do, im sure things will fall into place as I go along.

Will keep you guys posted as to the progress

Cheers

BOB

steamboatbob

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:15 am »

sense and senility

Sense = knowing when your boat is at its maximum speed capability

Senility = when you walk into a model shop or browse flea bay, see something and you say to yourself " WOW i Gotta get me one of them and tweak my boat that little bit more " O0

as you can guess i have purchased a few items during the week and here is the end result

replaced my x430 prop with an alloy x436/3  :embarrassed:
totally reconfigured the watercooling system pickup to make it flow through my system a lot better  O0
and put in a new lighter rudder

but i believe that i will have to add a little weight into the front of the boat, I have some lead sheeting i will put in to keep it from flipping over and as luck would have it i will be taking it for a spin on Saturday and to my fortune the weather forcast is fine with little to no wind  :}

and here she is in all of her new glory  :-))

Wakusei

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »

oi Bob,

I followed your topic at another forum and by googling for pacific balsa and aeroflyte i came to this one.
I also modified the kit and want to show you mine and for others to show what can be done using this kit.
I finalized the building stage and tomorrow is its first maiden.
By using a selfmade hardtop this little red dictator weighs with 2s 2200 25c lipo, a whopping 635 gr.

modified tunnel by adding a step

the inside
more building pics here

Hardware:
Turnigy 450 H2218 Brushless outrunner 3200KV
Etti coupler 3.17>1,2mm
Etti 1.2mm BB Wire Drive with Strut
HK noname rudder, modified bracket
Hobbyking SS Series 40-50A ESC, modified watercooling
TURNIGY 3A UBEC w/ Noise Reduction
Conrad mini servo
Graupner 2299.30 carbon 3blade hydro prop
available lipo's for testing: 2s 2200mAh zippy oem 25C, 3s 2200mAh Turnigy 25C, 2 and 3s 1800mAh Flightmax/Turnigy 40C

hopefully i'll be able to post a video tomorrow

Ronald

steamboatbob

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »

i would highly recommend an x430 prop as it has worked the best for me and i have thrown quite a few on and it still comes out on top :)

and watch out as it packs a lot of air underneath and Will do a flip on you if the weight is not balanced well

but very nice build and you photobucket album is brilliant

after i get my new boat up and running i will be donating my dictator to a young nephew who is a little impatient to get a quick boat

BoB

(WoW have I started something here  %)  )

steamboatbob

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 01:34:34 pm »

went down to my lake today for a little fun also had my father with me who had a high speed camera,  which takes awesome photos and here are the results

this one shows the dictator in a very slight headwind just showing you guys how much air she packs underneath her

same again at full throttle, different angle

Hook Turn at full throttle

Heading Downwind

Wakusei

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 06:39:44 pm »

nice pics Bob

I would like to show you my little red dictator in action pics, but none were taken. The first maiden went good but needed some fine tuning.
So decided to make a video with the second run. Made the adjustments en removed some water. Taped the canopy and went for a second run.
I made 2 straight lines and thought it was time to handover the control to my nephew so i can make the video myself.
But then it stopped, no throttle no steering. I suspect the ESC or receiver did get wet inside.
Guess we have to wait for a video.

Other than that, in the short run, this micro kat ran fine with similar wind conditions.

Ronald

Damien

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 01:52:51 am »

My son built one of these Aeroflyte mini cats around 25yrs ago when he was around 7yo he still has it, never fitted running gear as he was so proud of winning first prize in junior sect at local agricultural show he just kept it on display. They were good sellers in the mid 70's when they first came out and could be fitted with either 3v inboard or 3v outboard, as suggested I doubt they were designed to go fast as back then there was no such thing as fast electric Decaperm & Hectoperm were the motors available for boats slot car motors were occasionally experimented with in very small boats/ships.
Well done Bob
Where is your lake? I sailed alone in Mandurah in the mid 80's when we lived in Hamel just south of Waroona.

Damien.

steamboatbob

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 03:54:38 am »

im out in the swan valley mate and have a choice of 3 lakes that i go to in ellenbrook

Drkomen86

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 12:08:31 pm »

do you still have the plans and if so is there any chance that you could scan them in and send me a copy?

steamboatbob

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 12:25:17 pm »

unfortunately no i dont have the plans anymore but an easy and cheap way is to buy the pacific balsa kit and use the balsa peices as templates for the ply

and you will also have a range of 4 hulls to choose from

srry i cant help you with that

BoB

steamboatbob

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 04:02:03 am »

well i thaught an update was kinda necessary as i have ordered a new motor for my little baby and done some internal changes to make a little difference in weight distribution

i have mooved the motor as far forward as practical so the batteries can be a lot mor midship, taken out the heavy motor mount and put in a very light one have dropped 100 grams in just doing that

sprayed the cowling and given it a new look

and here she is all ready for testing this arvo ill try to get a video or 2 if is not too choppy

rathikrishna

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2010, 12:58:17 pm »

Friend..will you add a video...?

steamboatbob

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »

i will as soon as i can mate every time i go out i dont get a good run but will try again this weekend. it is really starting to get windy in my neck of the woods and this little sucker doesn't like much chop
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.