Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gun  (Read 3360 times)

regiment

gun
« on: September 03, 2009, 03:48:33 pm »

my mate has just put an advert in our local paper PART OF IT READ  three gun turrets worked by remote was told not to use the words GUN oh dear what next   %%

Wasyl

Re: gun
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:10:42 pm »

He,should phone them up and thank them,cause you better believe,If Mr Plod had seen the ad,his front door would have been opened in a rather violent manner,
In our local paper and in the Daily,s there is n article today, about an old couple who had to flee from their Bulgarian holiday home,after they were attacked by robbers,they drove overland from Bulgaria to Scotland,they had with them 3 x gas operated air pistols which they,d bought in the mis-guided belief that these guns would protect them,On arrival in Dundee they went to the Police Headquarters, and handed the guns in,Next day,the Police arrived at their daughters house,where they were staying,broke down the door, searched the house,then arrested the ol couple and held them in a cell for three hours,

Your mate was lucky,

Wullie

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:58:53 pm »

Dear Wullie,

Whilst the present state of World affairs continues as it does, it is very understandable that such missunderstandings result. However, whilst saying this, there is an element of general sensibility that must/should prevail. Whilst those that you mention openly handed in what they had - though they should indeed have been wiser if they had dumped same before entry into GB. It was a touch unreasonable for the Police to have reacted as it's alleged they did, however, it is understandable all the same. Pity... just a sign of the times that's all...

Regards, Bernard

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:01:42 pm »

Well screwfix have 48 items with "gun" in the title..........

Screwfix.....you're nicked

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:13:44 pm »

Dear Funtime,

How right you are, I handn't thought about that one... nail guns... can be got anywhere and lethal in certain circs..

However...

Regards, Bernard

Wasyl

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:52:29 pm »

A sign of the times indeed,yet,when i was a teenager,15 to be exact,I purchased my 1st shotgun,the legal age was 14,I can remember that day very well,how excited i was,I had saved up for nigh on a year,to get the amount i needed,£14.10shillings,
£14 was for the gun and the 10 shillings was for the licence that you got from the Post Office,
I went to my local gunshop and handed over my money and licence, for the gunsmith to see,then I had my gun,which was a BSA Snipe single barrel,
A year later i traded it in and bought a Luigi Franchi,5 shot semi automatic,yes those were the days,
now during this period 1965/6,gun crime was very rare,drive by shootings unheard of,gang slaying likewise,
But,in 1967 the law changed There was an amnesty,
then gun licence,s were obtainable from the Police,then gun crimes slowly started to increase,
aye,a sign of the time,s when,now, even having a water pistol or a spud gun could get you killed,yet in 1957 a must have toy for Christmas ,was a Round black thing,about the size of a football, with the word Bomb written in white on it,and a piece of string sticking out of it,
can you imagine what would happen now if some child was running around shouting "I,ve got a Bomb, I,ve got a Bomb"

Wullie

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:09:20 pm »

Dear Wullie,

Whilst the present state of World affairs continues as it does, it is very understandable that such missunderstandings result.

Not a lot wrong with the present state of the world - well, no more than usual.

What we have is a world with a lot of people who used to earn their living in the military/security field, and who were looking at losing their jobs when the Cold War ended ten years ago. Aren't they lucky that western foreign policies (driven by this same military/industrial complex) suddenly became much more interested in destabilising Middle Eastern politics than in living in harmony? Now Security Service has work for the next 50 years... One might almost think our appalling military policies were INTENDED to provide work for these people.. me, I couldn't possibly comment....

Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:14:14 pm »

I was in a hardware shop last week and a kid came in on a mission to buy a wire brush for his dad. No chance, not with all those sharp points. :police:

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:28:57 pm »

Dear D-G,

Rightly or wrongly, one wonders what is right or wrong... they know we know, we know they know we know, and they know we know why... so, we all know! %) :-))

Who indeed intends us to consider one way or another... who indeed want's us to decide? Who indeed decides what we decide should happen? At the end of the day it's not us! - As to the ME, well, it's a US 'thing' isn't it. They have so much involvement and interest in all sides that it's difficult to determine who's side they are actually on... as to oil well we all know who's side they are on, as to politics, well, it's another isn't it... but I will not be drawn further on this fraught matter apart from saying just this!

It's a brave person who sticks their neck out any further!!! O0 %) :-)

Regards, Bernard

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:30:30 pm »

It's a brave person who sticks their neck out any further!!! O0 %) :-)

Regards, Bernard

Nowadays it's a headless person who sticks their neck out any further. Or says they would like to play with some children. Or uses Torrent to download things. Or takes a photo in a public place...

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 07:12:15 am »

mmmmmmmmm...computers  & auto spell....%% last year we a string of e-mails between a BlueScope Steel colleague & myself relating to Blast Furnace cylinders & whilst we referred to them by their registered material number...we also referred to them by description

Well...any person involved with such blast furnaces will know on each cast house floor we have a 'Mud Gun' cylinder & a 'Mud Gun Slew' cylinder....

So after a few responses back & forward...the computer  :police: sent an undeliverable notification due to inappropriate content

>>:-( %% {-)...turns out that the BlueScope Steel computer auto trawling had picked up the word GUN seven times
...so hence canned the string of communications O0 

However in the grand scheme of things I must acknowledge such computers & auto spell & auto trawling is needed our troubled world.......... :-)) Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:31:48 am »

However in the grand scheme of things I must acknowledge such computers & auto spell & auto trawling is needed our troubled world.......... :-)) Derek

Yes, I don't know how I can live with myself after finding that I was addressing parcels to Scunthorpe during the 1980s....

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 05:56:15 pm »

Yes, I don't know how I can live with myself after finding that I was addressing parcels to Scunthorpe during the 1980s....
You're lucky that got past the mods.... ok2

Wasyl

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 11:28:00 am »

This political correctness/madness, sometimes is taken beyond the limits of credibility,a couple of years ago I read in the paper,that two 10 year old boys had been charged by a Policeman for driving without Insurance,They had made what we here in Scotland call a piler," a small wooden cart with big spoked pram wheels on the rear, and smaller ones on the stearable front, they were reported by a "concerned" member of the public who saw them riding the cart down a road,that was not used by cars,They were charged and had to appear before a childrens panel,and their cartie was confiscated for being unroadworthy,phew,where does it end,

Wullie

pk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 12:18:05 am »

between political correctness and health and safety we won't be able to do anything soon without a certificate saying that we are qualified to do so

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 02:04:22 am »

between political correctness and health and safety we won't be able to do anything soon without a certificate saying that we are qualified to do so

It's already happening. I kid you not. Here is an item from today's news - http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8161000/8161223.stm

It talks about finding objects in the mud of a river bank. Not only do you now need a licence to look at the ground, you need a further licence if you dig more than 7.5cm down...

"While a general permit to look for artefacts allows the aspiring treasure hunter to dig only 7.5cm into the ground, a special mudlark's licence allows the enthusiasts to venture much further underneath the surface...."

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 09:51:36 am »

Dear dg,

Whilst I would be the first to jump up and down about ridiculous legislation and rules etc., I have to say that the Rules & Regs. in this instance are justified - indeed, those interested in doing what they are doing seem untroubled by it.

In this partic. instance, and with the obvious record of many things being found, it is important to keep record of them... it is also necessary to keep a record of who is doing it. If absolutely everybody descended on this area (however large), and set to with a vengeance to look for things, what a mess it would be, and how many important things and items would go unrecorded and become lost again.

Anybody can get permission from a landowner to take a metal detector over their land, and in most cases the landowner will give permission. In this circumstance you are allowed to dig as you wish, but within the landowners permission. All sorts of items of extreme historical importance have been found this way - let alone being of great value. Such extreme cases rely on the integrity of the person doing the 'hunting', to report such finds (under the Treasure Trove and other antiquities Acts), the item then being officially valued and the value the  being divided between the Landowner and the finder. If it is deemed of lesser importance the item is handed back for the finder to do as he/she pleases. There are places I know where I am certain artifacts would be found, but if everybody went to such places armed with pick and shovel what damage would be done... such things can only be properly and professionally excavated.

I am not involved with the 'treasure hunting' hobby, but do see ground turned over in bulk on a regular basis and always keep a small corner of my eye open 'just in case'! Small things have turned up, and when they do I give them to the National Museum for the region - haven't found any gold items yet though unfortunately! I recently found some very old decorated beer bottles that had been placed in a hedge line adjacent to a country road by some reveller 'walking'(!), his way home (over 100 years ago!)... no real monetary value, but the Museum wanted them since the brewery Co. was not represented in this small part of their Ind. section.

Regards, Bernard

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 10:16:48 pm »

No problem with the idea that historic artifacts should be recorded. Not sure, however, that these licences require this. The thing that amazed me was the distinction between picking something off the ground (for which you need one licence) and picking something up from 2 1/2" below the ground, for which you need another one. Who is going to be measuring this?

And, as we know, it will just end up as another law for overbearing officials to bully us....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.