Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know what this 'experimental' design is?  (Read 4046 times)

Jumper

Anyone know what this 'experimental' design is?
« on: September 03, 2009, 05:14:31 pm »

Saw this on Ebay - quite a novel shape and not too sure about the paint job.

Anyone have any information on the actual design

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=130327459532

Jumper

Jumper

Re: Anyone know what this 'experimental' design is?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:32:29 pm »

Thought it may be best to insert an image - the auction finishes shortly

Hope I have done it right

Ho Hum

Jumper

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:33:05 pm »

Looks like a modelers rendition of the DDX/DDG Zumwalt design.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=ddx&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g6

Jumper

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:15:37 pm »

Here is another oddity - I have seen this bow shape before in a UK ship manufacturer - but cannot remember the company name.

This is called the Sea Jet - American design

The Advanced Electric Ship Demonstrator (AESD), Sea Jet, funded by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), is a 133-foot vessel located at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Carderock Division, Acoustic Research Detachment in Bayview, Idaho.

Jumper

UXB

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »

It looks to me like the hull is a Sea Wraith built to a Vosper Thornycroft concept from about 10 years ago. The super structure looks free lance ish.
A club member made a wooden plug and I made a mould we sold about 17 hulls and fittings in all. The gun on the front looks like the ones we sold. I can't see the other fittings so comment on those.
didn't see the ite m in time what did it go for ?

It might not be a hull I made but it sure looks like it.

Jumper

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:34:28 am »

Hi UXB,

Thanks for that, the model ended up going for £194.  I will be picking it up this weekend. 

Once I have it, I will take some pics and email them to you if you want.

I would be v interested in any old literature you may have on the design and functionality of your handiwork.

Yours Aye

Jumper

UXB

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:42:24 am »

Jumper
I will see what I can dig out  ( moved three times since) Marine modeling had a similar ship in a free plan late 90's. theres had a sort of water jet propulsion. in the article they used photos of mine in the article, (Just to confuse readers) if you can get hold of a copy.

I sold mine on but it sailed very well on 2x 385's and six volts that bow cuts through the water very nicely.hope you enjoy it

UXB

Jumper

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:29 pm »

UXB,

Found these on the web. 

It looks like your hull has been made into the Sea Wraith II, having said that the line drawing shows the masts as being symetrical as opposed to asymetrical on the second pic.

Hopefully will run it over the weekend and see what she is like, she looks a bit top heavy to me.  What do you think?

She is unusual and that really does appeal to me - going to have some fun with her

Jumper

UXB

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 02:47:50 pm »

Jumper
 I have found some original literature from vospers (photo copies),  both for the Wraith I and II. They sent it to us when we asked if we ould make hulls to their drawings. The wraith MK II was designed to be 20m or so longer than MK I, but only a meter or so wider. with a different stern to the colour pic  in you post.
The Vosper drawing from 1997 has the masts of the MKII off set but the opposite way to the MKI.
When we sold our hulls we sold them with pennant numbers and names, still got the list.
I will gladly copy what I have and send it on to you.

Your boat looks pretty much like our plan with a bigger bridge built on the port side of the fwd mast and with out the FWD missile magazine, aft of the gun.
I will scan in some photos of mine later and post them. The fwd superstructure of yours  looks a bit taller and a bit more chunky than the Vosper version, theirs was quite minimal.
I guess as it was a concept there is no wrong as long as it looks right.
I am a member of the Potteries club, I recall one Navy Day a visiting Modeler brought a Sea Wraith with that kind of camoflauge. I think his first name was Denzil .
Please send some pics when you get it.
UXB

Jumper

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:06:52 pm »

UXB,

Not long since got her home and not had much chance to do much of anything apart from look at her and the various pics I have found on the web.

Superstructure is very chunky and detracts from her line and fittings do not look in scale.

Running gear is a single beast of a motor, dont know the type yet, to a single screw and rudder arrangement.

Hope to get started tomorrow by removing the superstructure, decks, running gear and bring her back to bare hull.

Will take pics and send them to you.  Can I do this via PM or will I need your email addy?

Aye

Jumper

UXB

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 03:37:10 am »

What do fancy doing to her ?
I have pm'd you my email
cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.