Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Did all type V11 u-boots have wooden decks?  (Read 10548 times)

Wasyl

Did all type V11 u-boots have wooden decks?
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:42:19 pm »

Hi guys,can any of you submariners tell me,if the type V11,s were all decked in wood,or were there any that just had metal decks,the reason i ask is,i have a Robbe U47 and it has had the brass deck overlay fitted,

Wullie

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Did all type V11 u-boots have wooden decks?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:46:50 pm »

Do not know about the 11s, I will check. Later in the war they went on to wood decks, apparently
to save steel.    Nemesis

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:08:25 pm »

Sorry I thought you meant 11s. My type V11c /41-43 has a wooden deck & the reason is what I was told," to save steel", so I assume the subs after that date could have the same.
                                               Nemesis

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:41:10 pm »

Wullie,

All the references I have show a wooden deck laid over a steel frame.  The wood was then painted with a black bitumen compound so you could have anything from an even black surface to a heavily scuffed light wood colour with the remains of the black in evidence.

You should paint up the brass deck to resemble black painted wood.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Wasyl

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:24:50 pm »

Hi Richard,
it seems such a shame to paint the brass decks to look like wood,although they are painted grey at the moment,
another thing,I remember you mentioned to me that you had, got a wooden deck for your Revell,V11c,the kit i have here has the decks already,made to look like wood ""its part of the model,did your kit have this, or is mine a later edition,

Wullie

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:52 pm »

Hi Wullie,

The earlier Revel model of the type VII has the deck openings moulded into the plastic with quite noticeably rounded edges.  The wooden deck I purchased for it is laser cut so the openings are much sharper and neater as well as being right through the deck.  The overall effect is much crisper and can be painted up then scuffed away to get a very realistic appearance.

I had a look through the Anatomy of the ship a few minutes ago and it does say that wood was used for the decks for the purposes of saving on steel.

Don't forget as well that the ends of the decks were actually steel so they should be depicted in quite a different surface texture.  If you want to see just where the demarkation is have a look at my Revel Type VII, where I used the original plastic deck at either end and the wooden deck in the middle.  A bit more work involved in cutting but well worth it for the different textures.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

polycell

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 04:38:23 pm »

Yep agreed all Type VIIs had wooden (teak) upper deck.

Wasyl

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 05:48:56 pm »

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a dinnae believe it <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(b*****s

Wullie

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:15:20 pm »

Hi, about wooden decks on type V11s, there was a war on I believe, at the time so I think Teak
was a luxury of great magnitude. The wood of the forests of the areas would be common white
wood.
                                        Nemesis

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:05:27 pm »

According to Dougie Martindale in his extreemly comprehensive book "Kriegsmarine U-Boat Colours and Markings" the wood used was Fir or Pine painted with Carbolineum or sometimes wood tar, they used whatever they could get.

Carbolineum was a pre-1900 German product that was then licensed to German manufacturers after the Carbolineum company founders moved to the Milwaukee area in the early 1900s. The benefit is of course wood preservative, however it is also a black or deep brown color on the wood which of course helps with hiding the deck when shallow submerged.

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 03:04:37 pm »

Never mind,all ths, yes they all had wooden decks,There had to be at least one that maybe did,nt, {-)

Wullie

hollowhornbear

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 06:06:59 pm »

From what i'm reading, the answer would be yup yours Wullie. {-) {-) {-).

Wasyl

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 08:33:01 pm »

Do I detect a bit of LOTR in you ????????????????????/or in that Nom-de-Plume"or something similar,as for Non wooden decks yup,your right,mines is the only non wooden decked U-boot on the planet,cos after all,when we build and play with our toys,some of us enter into the world of fantasy,and our toys can be whatever we want them to be,
because lets face it,their our means of escape, %%

Wullie,

hollowhornbear

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 11:08:13 pm »

re the nom de plume, i'll let you know when you get close, as to our toys some of us never grow up. why lotr?
sorry for slipping of topic.

Wasyl

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 01:28:49 am »

your Nom-de,sounds very Lord of der ringe, {-)you know, treebeard ents elves,dwarfish overtones {-)

Wasyl ,seeing its Sunday,
getting back on topic,i just can,t get my old nut around why there is a need to buy one of those brass deck over lays like whats on my Robbe, then disguise it as Douglas Fir,  {:-{

hollowhornbear

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 03:22:01 am »

here's an idea let some bits of brass show disguise the rest, when someone says "they  don't have metal decks" just tell them "the crew are smuggling nazi gold"  {-) {-)

Wasyl

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 11:00:19 am »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Wasyl

RonP

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »

Early type V11s had steel decks (Type V11A and TypeV11B) and some of the type V11Cs but it is difficult to know exactly where the transition takes place. It was as you said to save on steel but it happened at differrent yards at different times dependent on stock levels at the time. Rossler goes into this in some detail but you will be bored brainless after a while.
Easy answer is assume wood. They where all painted sort of blackish (mixture of creosote and engine oil on timber and protective black paint on metal) so paint it a sort of messy black and let others argue.
RonP

Hagar

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 11:39:21 pm »

your Nom-de,sounds very Lord of der ringe, {-)you know, treebeard ents elves,dwarfish overtones {-)

Wasyl ,seeing its Sunday,
getting back on topic,i just can,t get my old nut around why there is a need to buy one of those brass deck over lays like whats on my Robbe, then disguise it as Douglas Fir,  {:-{

A brass etching will give a sharper 'cut' to the form than that fo a bit of plastic. Laser cut wood and photo etched brass are just a way of getting better detail. If you dont want to paint it how about dying it black.

g4yvm

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 11:55:08 am »

Early type V11s had steel decks (Type V11A and TypeV11B) and some of the type V11Cs but it is difficult to know exactly where the transition takes place. It was as you said to save on steel but it happened at differrent yards at different times dependent on stock levels at the time. Rossler goes into this in some detail but you will be bored brainless after a while.
Easy answer is assume wood. They where all painted sort of blackish (mixture of creosote and engine oil on timber and protective black paint on metal) so paint it a sort of messy black and let others argue.
RonP

I wonder if they had fully steel decks?  On the 534 in Birkenhead, when I went over her, I was told the wooden decks covered the HP air lines (4000psi) and that was certainly the case.  I'd have designed it that way in case of a blow-out -  the wooden deck would simply explode away leaving the pressure hull safe from the bang.  Just my ideas though.

D

Desi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 02:20:48 pm »

Hi,
To all U-boat modellers...
This is a great article on colours, markings and all details regarding WWII U-boats

http://www.artitec.nl/downloads/instructions/uboat/uboat_colours.pdf

g4yvm

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:33 pm »

Re your brass decks...where from?  I cant seem to locate Type vii etched decks anywhere.  Pandan have gone, model brass have no email,   aghghh!

D

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 09:34:08 pm »

Unobtanium I'm afraid. The only current model that has a photoetched deck available for it is the OTW 1/32 Type VII.

andyn

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 10:20:29 pm »

The email contact for Modelbrass I have is: jay@3rdgendecals.com

Hope this helps :-))

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 10:34:25 pm »

LAst I heard, he wasn't responding to emails. I don't know if that's changed. However a Robbe deck will not fit well on a Darnell hull.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.