Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renovating my old Bowman Yacht  (Read 6970 times)

Maggie

Renovating my old Bowman Yacht
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:33:09 pm »

Hello Boat People  :-)

I have recently been helping my old mum tidy up her house and came across my childhood yacht ..

I'd love to get it up and running .. but the glue holding the deck and base together has deteriorated (as you can see, I have no technical language!) .. and I'm not entirely sure that I have all the mast/sail bits as there are 4 little hooks .. but only two nylon rings to attach to them .. also I think the end of one of the dowels is bent ..

I suppose I need to totally separate the top and bottom and clean the up and re-glue?

Any help would be welcomed please. Is it an interesting thing, or just a boring old thing?

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Renovating my old Bowman Yacht
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:42:59 pm »

Its not at all boring. Bowman boats have become collectable. Sadly i lack the ability to guide you. One idea i
do have is you find your local Boat club. Im sure someone their will be able to guide you. There are clubs
that sail only. Possibly a look at club list on the mayhem site will help. Best wishes . John.

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:02:21 pm »

Thanks John.

I had a look around and have found a thread relating to a local club, so that was really useful!

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:43:11 pm »

ive just looked online , found a couple of photos of one up for auction which does show how the sails are rigged , which could be useful in getting yours right , the end of the boom shouldnt be attached to deck with the white ring , but should be free to move !

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:49:54 pm »

Oh that sounds good - thanks! Where will I find the photos - I had a bit of a Google yesterday but didn't find anything  :-) :-)

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:52:04 pm »

ive typed in bowman pond yachts then searched the list until i spotted something that looked like the one in your photos !

Maggie

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:45:03 pm »

Hmm - I'm afraid I still haven't found anything - could you give me the links please?  {:-{

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:11 pm »

www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8554424 its lot 808 bowman pond yacht . its priced in dollars but that wasnt what i was looking at , more interested in how its rigged ! hope this helps

pugwash

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 07:17:03 am »

Maggie if you plough through this link there is a photo of a similar Bowman yacht being rigged up - It isn't identical but should
give you an idea how to do it.

Geoff

http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/archive/bowman-racing-yacht__o_t__t_10593.html

Maggie

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:49:24 am »

Ooh! That's great, thank you - it makes me think the poor thing may never have been rigged properly!

Is my yacht classed as a racing yacht?

*Sorry - total newbie!*

pugwash

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:52:07 am »

Sorry I can't help you there. My interest is grey things with guns on and full sized cruising yachts

Geoff

Maggie

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:30 am »

Oh! I remember big grey things with guns on from battle re-enactments in Peasholm Park in Scarborough when I was little - maybe that's what led me to asking for the yacht for my birthday :)

http://www.peasholmpark.com/content/view/9/9/

*Sorry - off topic on my own thread*  :embarrassed:

tony52

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:09:53 am »

Take a look at the Bowmancircle under number 4 - Pictures. If you scroll down, the yachts can be found. I am not sure but this yacth looks like one of the Olympic series.

http://www.bowmancircle.co.uk/page_1153654515843.html

Nice model - Tony.

Maggie

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 08:14:38 am »

Thanks Tony - yes, it has 'Olympic Series' stamped on one of the sails  :-)

Brooks

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 01:30:52 am »

Glad to see the old yacht getting another chance at the sea.

I would caution you that if you have any plans to sell her to a collector in some distant future, all your modifications should be reversible. Save everything you remove, just in case it's "the part" that everyone is looking for.  I don't collect at all, just passing on stuff I've read elsewhere.

Maggie

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 09:08:11 am »

Thanks, Brooks  :-) Good advice .. although unless she's worth millions, I shall be quite happy to just have a working model to sail  ..  I've contacted my local pond yacht club, but no reply yet - I hope they'll be able to help me  O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.