Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power switch fpr my scratch build sub.  (Read 3145 times)

canuck

Power switch fpr my scratch build sub.
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:29:03 am »

I'm nearing completion of my first scratch build submarine, a WWII, 2 man chariot. The model has an overall length of 42 inches.
I need thoughts on how to attach a power switch unobtrusively to the outside of the model.
Can anyone in the model sub. building community share with me what has worked well for them and may be good for a novice sub. builder?

Comments appreciated.

andyn

Re: Power switch fpr my scratch build sub.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:53:10 am »

I'm not a sub man, but I have seen it done by one of the antennae on the tower being a piece of piano wire that connected to a switch in the WTC. If memory serves me correct the owner used rubber bellows around the wire.

Hope this helps :-))

canuck

Re: Power switch for my scratch build sub.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 05:41:01 am »

That sounds simple enough. I'll think on how to disguise a piece of wire as a deck fitting.
Thanks Andyn.

das boot

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:59:02 am »

Here ya go...a dead simple to build on/off switch.

Rich

canuck

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 11:57:41 am »

Hi Rich:
This one would be easy to disguise among the fittings on the model. As all electronics shoud be "off" when one makes contact there should be no current flowing (zap). The worst that could happen is if one advertantly left the radio "on" and motor set at full bore......
Thank you for the suggestion.

das boot

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:11:11 pm »

A further refinement is to use knurled nuts on the exterior, that way it's easier to tighten the main wire up with wet hands. Just make sure when you turn it 'off' you tighten the nuts up again to avoid the wire jumping about in transit and switching itself back on.

Rich

redboat219

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:37:12 pm »

How about using magnets and reed switches like those from small bulgar alarms.

canuck

Re: Power switch for my scratch build sub.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:16:45 pm »

Thanks to all for the ideas.
Your ideas have sent me down the follow design path....
There is a steering wheel on the outside of the model (static until now), I can use it as the power on/off switch.
The shaft of the steering wheel passes into the model. To the inside end of the shaft I'll solder a piece of flat bass stock and allow the shaft to make a 1/4 turn to the other terminal which will be formed by a stud with nuts set as a friction fit on the brass flat stock. I'll include a compression washer on the shaft to prevent the steering wheel moving on it's own when it's not engaged.

hollowhornbear

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:40:18 pm »

just a thought make sure you use lock nuts on the switch end otherwise vibration may loosen or tighten them, stopping you switching on or off.
just my ha'pence worth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 19 queries.