Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone in the Basingstoke area?  (Read 1460 times)

Bobderham

Anyone in the Basingstoke area?
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:59:41 am »

Hello,
After several years of abstinence I returned to my preferred boating lake last sunday in Basingstoke. Delightfully it was very well attended. Having no web presence I had feared that the club had folded.Not so. Lots more yachts than 5 years ago and a friendly atmosphere of shared interest. Now, where in my shed did I put...? I met one other mayhem member.Any others? North Hampshire, Basingstoke,Alton perhaps as far afield as Reading?
cheers
Bob

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Anyone in the Basingstoke area?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:52:57 am »

Jay Beasley goes here quite a lot.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

mjed

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:07:06 pm »

Hi Bob, It was me that got chatting to you and encourged you to get those old boats out. Our chat got me thinking and you're right, there's very little on the web about this great pond facility. I posted a single page web overview on my web, along with lots of other jottings but am prepared to maybe develop a full website in my spare time. I've seen loads of great models that could be shared with others. I'd like to see more yachts and wondered if we could get some not too serious racing going with the likes of my Graupner Trueblue or the Kyosho Fairwind (there were 3 of these on the pond) on Sunday.

I'd love to get some details on the delta wing electric plane that got brought to the pond and flown. It was really entertaining and brought the pond to life in a third dimension. My link is at http://www.mjed.co.uk/basingstoke%20model%20boaat%20club.html

Though many of the members perhaps don't use the web, we could get some photo's of their models and create a feature if anyone fancies helping me? I'd like to suggest the idea of a web to Gordon Philpott when I get down next, and thought that maybe we could attract new members and get a sense of new goings on at the pond. Maybe we could get more members and use the money to create events etc. In the many evenings I've been down, there are certainly lots of kids and parents that could be attracted, even with simple boats. We could even pool some of these unused models that we all have. Mike

mjed

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:07:58 pm »

After Bob's query and discussions with Gordon, I have developed a website at http://www.basingstokembc.co.UK I hope with help from other modellers and computer literate individuals that we can develop the site and have a window on this club that has over 40 members and lots of great models. If anyone wants to help with pictures, features or ideas for the site then please contact me through the web. Without stepping on toes, I'd like to encourage new modellers to the pond, particularly youngsters as I started my modelling at a very young age. I suggest we have some competitions, maybe with a feature in the local Gazette to encourage youngsters. Apparently there used to be model exhibition days but this hasn't happened for a long time due to red tape requiring silly insurance cover and that's a real shame. Maybe we can do something about this?

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 04:41:08 pm »

I'm just North of Basingstoke, in West Heath, Baughurst.

Used to sail at Basingstoke and was a member of the Basingstoke MBC but work, redundancy etc got in the way and I've only just got back into building something to sail in the evenings

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.