Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paints and painting  (Read 5987 times)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
paints and painting
« on: November 14, 2006, 12:38:28 pm »

How about a separate thread on paints and painting? There is a lot of good info and tips scattered around the forum, would be good to see them in one thread martin?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

laserblue16

Re: paints and painting
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 01:54:10 pm »

I could do with some help on this one. Painted the red(bottom half) of my hull yesterday, masked up this morning( thoroughly) and painted the black. Took off the masking tape and paper.....ARGH, bloody black has seeped under the tape in a few places, ah well, looks like its back to the brushes!!!.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:57:57 pm »

Isn't Stavros going to write a book on painting model boats ?? Leastways thats what he said on my posting about renovating a boat that I found in my loft that I had forgotten about.[ Boat not loft ]

Richard 8) 8)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:04:12 pm »

I could do with some help on this one. Painted the red(bottom half) of my hull yesterday, masked up this morning( thoroughly) and painted the black. Took off the masking tape and paper.....ARGH, bloody black has seeped under the tape in a few places, ah well, looks like its back to the brushes!!!.

You needed to rub over the edge of the masking tape with the wrong end of a pencil or something similar.
Did it on my corvette using ordinary car masking tape and even with the joints in the plates of the hull I never had any seepage. :)

Richard 8)

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 05:54:05 pm »

laserblue16 you should have used either tamya fine line masking tape available from all good model shops or the cheapest way of doing it is go down to your friendly local electrical supplier and ask for 1/4 inch or metric equivalent  insulating tape.
How to use the stuff,simple apply first to the model and THEN apply masking tape over it,simple as chips.
Dicky d not a book but an article for either of the model boat mags

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 06:03:30 pm »

Never. Must be enough in your head for at least a small book. :)

Richard :)

laserblue16

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:23:56 pm »

Sanded, repainted, sanded, repainted, sanded, repainted. Thank goodness for that. She looks right now.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:40:04 pm »

Airbrush! Once you get the hang of it, you'll never stop using one.

laserblue16

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 02:23:07 pm »

Have just bought an airbrush and compressor, opened it and put it away again. One day i will get up the courage to try it out, but just for now i will stick to aerosols and brushes. By the way, can i use an airbrush for enamel paint, and if so what mix of paint to thinners?? Thanks. Chris.

ambernblu

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 02:37:22 pm »

Chris...

There's an excellent Model Rail mag DVD tutorial on airbrushing - can't go wrong with it, it even covers cleaning and maintenance.

http://www.railwaymags.com/nav?page=railwaymags.contentspage&view_resource=5343788 (then click on DVD Trailers and scroll down to airbrush expert!) I bought the Video version quite a few years ago and its excellent!)

Worth a look - maybe get someone to buy it for Xmas!  ;)

laserblue16

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 03:58:50 pm »

Looks good. Thanks for that. Might write it on me list for santa!!

ambernblu

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 04:40:27 pm »

Chris,

Have just dug out my video version and assuming the DVD is the same (or more advanced now probably) it runs for almost an hour and as per the trailer which showed a few snippets of the various sections of the tutorial, it gives an all round good grounding in virtually everything from the types of airbrush, how to mix enamels and thinners for airbrush use, to masking, cleaning and maintenance of the airbrush and weathering techniques - albeit geared to model locos and rolling stock but the principles are exactly the same.

Cheers, Brian

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 04:47:47 pm »

Very impressive looking dvd - every other one I have ever seen tends to be more like airbrush art- great to see one made for the modeller

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 05:04:21 pm »

It depends on the viscosity of the paint, Humbrol enamel paints require less thinner than Revell, and Pheonix paints have a special dedicated thinners which require even less thinning down. The best advice i can give is to start with 50/50, if the droplets are heavy, then more thinning is required, on the other hand if the paint is looking light and easily runs, well then it's too thin. You need to find a good balance, when you paint for a living as i do, then you will know the right viscosity just by mixxing the paint and watch it run down the side of the mixing jar.
For any over sprayed or bleeding is best taken care of before the paint has had time to fully cure, i use a lightly soaked cotten bud in thinners, then the wipe the affending area away!

laserblue16

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 05:33:14 pm »

This is great, i'm learning loads and am now off to play with my airbrush. Cheers all. Chris.

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 10:53:52 pm »

Should have painted over the edge of the masking tape with red paint first, let dry, then apply the black paint. The red paint will seal the edge of the masking paint, preventing any black paint from seeping under it; any seepage of the red paint under the tape doest matter, as it's the same colour as what has already been painted on the bottom half of the hull.

laserblue16

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 05:50:27 pm »

Have just found a good airbrush factsheet. If anyone wants it sending, let me have your email address and i will send it. Great for novices( like myself).

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 02:38:25 pm »

Has anyone used Airbrush City products - they have a sale on right now

Does anyone care to make a recommendation from their range of products illustrated at http://airbrushcity.com/abk1/?

I am thinking of going for their biggest and self-proclaimed best, model #2007GF (last in the list) - $239.99 reduced to $129.99. Does anyone see good reason not to buy this model at this price?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.