Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weathering tips, Part One "Oil Washes"  (Read 2490 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Weathering tips, Part One "Oil Washes"
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:16:47 pm »

I thought i would share my hints and tips on weathering. I don't for one minute regard myself to be a big head, nor do i have the answers to all things weathered! I hope my tutorial will help those who may not have had the chance to try an weather their model boat for fear of getting it wrong or simply not knowing where to start.
Firstly...remember these words "Less is more", it is far better to under weather a model than to over weather it!

I'm going to cover the mystery of oil washes in this section:

Oil washes can greatly enhance a models appearence by adding depth and bringing to the surface hidden detail in a model. There are many oil paints available on the market, i would recommend "Winton Oil Paints" available at most art shops. The colours i would recommend are, Paynes Grey, Burnt Sienna and Raw Umber. You can use these on their own or you can mix them to create your own colours.

You will need the following: Paynes Grey Oil Paint, Large paint brush, fine paint brush, cotton buds, plastic mixing tray, white spirit.

Ok...squeeze a small amount of Paynes grey into a mixing tray followed by a small amount of thinners and mix. You want the mix to be a "medium" mix to start with! Now using a large paint brush completely wash the surface to be detailed (the surface should have plenty of moulded detail to get the best effect). Don't be frightened as i realise how horrifying this bit might look to you...but trust me it's not permanent, that's the beauty of oil washes as if you don't like what you see then just wipe it away! Walk away and give yourself 30- 45min's before returing for the next bit. You need to make sure the surface is completely dry before continueing (the oil will go matt when fully dry). Now with a cotton bud gently wipe the oil away until you leave just the amount of weathering you like (for stubborn parts dip the cotton bud in white spirit to aid you). Any raised parts or pits will hold the oil in place to highlight the detail on your model. Once you've achieved the desired look on the area you are doing then you will need to seal the model with a good varnish.

That's it for now! Let me know how you get on  :-)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Weathering tips, Part One "Oil Washes"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:53 pm »

Funny you should post this on the same day that I posted this one

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5657.msg189121#new
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »

Thanks Voyager, this is gonna be great!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 07:55:46 pm »

Oh my word...how on earth did that happen lol.

You did a lovely weathering job on her Bunkerbarge, nice work....very realistic i must say!!!

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 07:57:30 pm »

Your welcome Martin  ;) You can't really go wrong with oils, nothings permanent until you want it to be...good luck with it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.