The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Seaport Tugs

Another Dutch Dickie

(1/7) > >>

pompebled:
Good evening gents!

After mainly reading on this forum most of the time, I got me a second hand Dickie Harbour Boat (including the translation error on the stern...) in very good condition, considering the first owner bought it in 2001 (yes, all documents and stickers were there in the original box, including the sales slip: €99,95....)
I paid less than a third, including shipping and couldn't resist to run it as it came out of the box, yesterday afternoon.

I changed the Ni-Cad pack (also from 2001) for two 2S 4000mAh Lipo, wired in parallel, so runtime wouldn't be an issue.

All I've read here on the forum, about the handling, was true; the boat refused to run straight and the steering corrections made for a very unsettling ride at first.
After I was convinced it wouldn't tip over, I tested the range and lost contact at 25 - 30 metres, reasonable for a toy.

Even on 7,4V the tug was quick and ran almost at hull speed.
I managed to drain some 2000mAh out of the Lipo's before I got cold and decided to call is a day after more than an hour running full throttle (as if I had a choice...).

I had left the tower with the monitor off, as I wasn't too sure the weight high up wouldn't get me into trouble, as it was quite windy.
At the edge of the radiorange, I experienced some glitching, causing the pump to run sometimes; as the end of the hose stuck out on top of the wheelhouse, some water was squirted inside, as it turned out, when I took the drain plug out, nothing dramatic, but, had I ran the entire battery, I'm not so sure if my maiden had ended so well...

Tonight I took a screwdriver and took the boat apart.
First a standard servo, receiver and ESC will be fitted, then I'll go through the wealth of possibilities to alter this tug into a more scale looking boat, guided by the many threads on this forum.
As long as the weather stays good, she'll be sailed, when I know what to do, the alterations will take place.

Best regards, Jan.

pompebled:
I hit a snag removing the rudder; how do I go about it, as the propshaft is in the way.
Does the hexagonal piece come unscrewed and the propshaft slides in the hull?

The testrun showed the motor allignment was rather good not very noisy (not smooth and quiet either), so I'm going to leave that alone.
A quick inspection showed that he brushes looked brandnew, they hadn't even worn in on the commutor.
This boat must have been played with very rarelt since 2001...

Regards, Jan.

Martin (Admin):
See:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12897.msg123665#msg123665
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6588.msg97416#msg97416

pompebled:
Thanks Martin,

I got as far as the pictures, but haven't pulled the shaft out yet, as I wasn't sure if the coupler part inside the boat was to come off, or if the hexagonal part on the outside was screwed on.

If I understand correctly, I have to pull the shaft, and the internal coupler part will come loose?

As I intend to use the stock shaft,prop and motor for now, I don't want to damage things (too much).

Regards, Jan.

DickyD:
Just take off the prop, leave the shaft where it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version