Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Dutch Dickie  (Read 19043 times)

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Dutch Dickie
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 11:45:50 am »

As the stock prop has this peculiar brass insert, push fit onto the stock shaft, it obviously won't fit on my 'regular' M4 threaded shaft.

I took the brass insert from the stock shaft, drilled the hole out to Ø3,3 mm and threaded it with M4.
At first glance, it doesn't look bad, even the slight wobble it had on the stock shaft, seems to be less.
To confirm that, I'll have to wait for the Acrilate kit to dry, so I can fit the proper size shaft and coupler and do a test fit.
Now I can run the stock prop next to a few brass props I have in my spare box.

(Note to self: take the time to run in the new brushes in stead of ruining the collector on the first run...)

Now I'm off to watch the last F1 race.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 02:47:38 pm »

I had the new 545 motor run in for four hours at 2,6V, the Ampdraw was 0,3A unloaded.

Yesterday I made a motormount out of 3mm ABS sheet, as I fear the kit bed under the motor will not harden sufficiently to allow the boat to run on the indoor venue coming weekend.

Once installed, I fitted the double jointed coupler and ran the motor again, now with the shaft attached, the ampdraw was 0,7A.
After I filled the stuffing tube with grease it shot up to 1,2A.

I left it to run in for an hour and the ampdraw fell back to 0,7A.
Not bad.

Next is the refitting of the rudder and prop, I hope I got the stuffing tube in, with the correct length so the stock prop will fit...

Pictures will follow.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 07:30:58 am »

Stupid me...
I hadn't measured correctly and the stuffing tube was sticking out too far to allow the prop to fit inside the Kortnozzle, so I have 'dremeled' a small section out of the vertical 'rudderblade' to make it fit.

After that, off to the water for a testrun, oh joy, it rained. Well, the boat is watertight.

As anticipated, the new driveline is much smoother than stock, the only thing you can hear up close, is the whining of the ESC at low revs.
Apropos low revs; the 545 motor in combination with the Thor 15 ESC allows for very low revolutions, you can see the individual blades at the lowest setting, talking about crawling...
As it was windy, this low revs could not hold the tug in position against it, but in the hall, where I'm going to run it this afternoon, it should work nicely.

Having the prop a few mm further into the nozzle also affects the reverse steering, which is much more responsive, compared to the stock position, maybe it has to do with the prop having a tighter fit inside the nozzle.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 05:23:14 pm »

I had a thouroughly enjoyable afternoon at the model fair, where I ran my tug in the indoor basin.

I also had my maiden in using the tug as intended; towing a 10' passenger ship, displacing some 300Kg, together with an experienced tugboat buddy who took the bow as I was steering the large ship from the stern.
This was huge fun!

I had the towing line at the bow, but that proved not very effective, it worked though.
Later we switched the ling to the winch at the aft deck and I had  go a pulling the ship.

How time flies when you're having fun..., the time slot for us boaters rushed by (we alternated with the truck drivers, in order to avoid channel doubling).

Today I removed the aft winch and added a towing post close to the superstructure to be able to tow even better, as tomorrow is the last day of the venue and I want to give it another try!

The Lipo's are recharging at the moment, as I spent two hours along the canal, walking the tug.
It was getting dark when I got back, so I'll need to sort out my navigation lights if I want to run more this winter.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 02:57:02 pm »

Well, I finally managed to get the LVC of my ESC to cut in...

After a three hour+ run, exploring the canals of or city and two one hour stints in the basin of the annual fair the motor stopped, conviniently in the middel of the canal. My runtime is just a tad over five hours continously.

Fortunately my wife just rang me, so I could have her bring me the rescue tools from my home nearby, with a piece of string with a ball on the end the boat was retreived quickly.

The weather was bright and during my tour on the city canals, I ran into some photographers which took pictures of my boat in action and of the rescue, as soon as I've received them I'll post them here.

The tug also has accompanied us on holiday in Germany, where it has cruised the river Fulda, running in a fast current is very exiting I can tell you.
The boat has also a switching module now which allows me to remotely switch on four functions:the running lights, the intirior lichting og the steering cabin and the spotlight on the roof which has been modified to house a bright white LED, the fourth option is still vacant.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:50 am »

The photographers I mentioned earlier never send me any pictures (so far) so I'll add one from our holiday in Germany on the river Fulda.
In the daylight the added lights are barely visable,(exept the floodlight) but they work, I tested it during a night run on the relative sheltered water in front of the lock near the campsite.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 12:37:35 pm »

And another picture with all lighting on full ahead into the 5-6 km/h current.

The interior lights reflect in the water.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »

It had been lurking in my propbox for some time now, so I finally replaced the stock prop with a Ø 45 mm four bladed Raboesch.

The topspeed is slightly higher, but the propwalk is too, I now have to correct the steering when going full throttle...
I'm not sure this really is an improvement, time will tell.

Throttle response seems smoother and extended; there now is a difference between 80% throttle and 100%.

Too bad the propshaft isn't centered in the Kort, otherwise an even bigger prop would fit easily, now I maybe can get away with a Ø 50 mm prop with the tips cut off.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 12:00:41 pm »

A small update on my Dickie, bilge keels have been added:

The material is 3 mm ABS sheet, with three tabs, going through the hull, it should be a firm fit.
Everything is 'welded' in place with a goo of ABS scrap solved in Acetone, once the solvent has evaporated, it's a solid joint.

I recently got myself a Mobius camera and had to try it on the tug; these video's will stay on my harddisk, as the whining of the ESC at partial load makes them rather annoying to watch...

Switching the Thor 15 Li  ( www.cti-modellbau.de ) which works at 1KHz, for the  AS12/15 RW from Modellbauregler ( AS12/15RW BEC - Modellbau-Regler.de Shop ) made all the difference, as this ESC works at 18KHz when running low rpm and switches to a higher frequency when full throttle is applied, the only whining that can be heard is the switching between these frequencies.

As I used the whining of the Thor to determen if the motor was switched off, I have to get used to the much quieter AS ESC and position the throttle very carefully to stop the motor, no problem if you have eyes on the boat, but as you can see at 9:45 in the video, I didn't get it quite right and left the throttle on a smidge...
 I don't have the throttle spring loaded as you may have guessed.

When making the video, I hadn't compensated (yet) for the extra weight on the bow, so the stern is light, causing some of the twitchy steering (next to the gusty wind).
http://youtu.be/wUIt1F0iSyY (watch in HD)

Groeten, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 12:48:44 pm »

Great job!  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.