Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weathering tips, Part Two "Dry Brushing"  (Read 2035 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Weathering tips, Part Two "Dry Brushing"
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:11:34 pm »

For those who enjoyed part one then here's part two:

Dry brushing is used to highlight raised surface detail, such as painting figures clothing, scratches, rust etc. I would recommend only dry brushing with enamels as acrylics dry off far too quickly and the results aren't very good from my own experience.

For best results you want to find the thick settle paint at the bottom of a tinlet of "humbrol", so best not to stir!
If your looking to achieve a light surface rust effect then i would go for a red/brown colour. Dip the paint brush into the bottom of the paint and then using a piece of kitchen roll wipe away the paint until you can JUST see faint streaks of colour! Now your ready for dry brushing....lightly apply to the desired area and repeat until you can start to see faint traces of paint being applied, keep going until you've achieved the right amount and hay presto!

You can try this out with for example a dark grey on a main coat of black (looks like grime and soot). For scratches use matt silver or gun metal.

Below is an example i did on a winch drum using Dry Brushing using "Oily Steel" and "Red/Brown"

Good luck!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.