Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spraying Humbrol Satincote  (Read 3200 times)

Jim

Spraying Humbrol Satincote
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:52:33 pm »

Tried some Satincote varnish for the first time tonight but the finish is not quite as good as I was hoping for.
I airbrushed a test piece and noted lots of tiny specks (probably air bubbles) on the wet varnish. Almost (but not quire) all of these disappeared during the initial 30 minutes of drying, but the dried finish feels slightly rough to the touch.  I was hoping for something a little smoother.

The varnish was well stirred and mechanically mixed before and after thinning 50/50 with white spirit. I sprayed using my trusty £10 Badger airbrush and diaphragm compressor.

Couple of questions before I continue experimenting: Any ideas how to avoid the "bubbles"?  Anyone tried thinning Satincote with Humbrol Thinners instead of the recommended (more crude?) white spirit?  I will be spraying a hull which already has Ronseal Polyurethane varnish sprayed over Halfords acrylic paint.

Would appreciate any thoughts / experiences.

Thanks, Jim

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Spraying Humbrol Satincote
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:23:50 pm »

Why are you spraying over Ronseal varnish with Humbrol ?  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

snowwolflair

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:38:02 pm »

Satincote has a particle size that will cause an airbrush to clog and froth.  Given your need I would use a good quality flat brush.

I avoid white spirit and dont even use it for brush cleaning.  Proper turpentine is much better.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:59:41 pm »

Why not just spray Ronseal?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:13:23 pm »

I agree with Bob. Ronseal iinterior polyurethane is the bees knees, you shouldn't need anything else.

Colin

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:38:31 pm »

Hi Colin,

I'm coming to the point where I need to get some satin topcoat on my Pilot Cutter.

I see you and many others are recommending 'Ronseal interior polyurethane' . I went to Ronseal site and there seems to be a multitude of varnishes - can you be more specific as to name. I don't want to get the wrong one as I don't expect all interior varnishes are waterproof.

What method of application would you recommend?

Thanks in anticipation

longshanks

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:01:36 pm »

Yes, there are a lot of varnishes! Steer clear of the quick drying acrylic variety as they are not really suitable for model boating use as they can absorb moisture and go milky. The Polyurethane versions, either matt or satin are the ones to go for. The reason for choosing the interior version is that the external varnish contains UV light inhibitors which give a yellowish cast to the finish. UV protection is important if the finish is to be exposed to the elements year round but that is not the case with our models. The interior version dries clear, is 100% waterproof and gives a really tough finish, you can brush it or thin it down a bit and spray it. Many top class modellers reckon it is the best you can get and I have never been disappointed with it. It will go on happily over Halfords acrylic spray coats and most other finishes.

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-70078-ronseal-ultra-tough-matt-coat-clear-varnish-750ml.html
http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-70079-Ronseal-Ultra-Tough-Satin-Coat-Clear-Varnish-750ml.html

Colin

Jim

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:07:04 am »

Thanks for the replies. Dicky, I am spraying over Ronseal indoor polyurethane (my normal varnish of choice) as the finish wasn't quite as good as I had obtained on several previous applications. Not exactly sure why. Anyway, based on comments here, it's back to good old Ronseal.  Snowwolflair, I note the tip about using Turps - thanks. I'll give it a try.
By the way, I notice stocks of Ronseal Polyurethane are being run down in my local Homebase / B&Q / Wickes / Focus stores, in favour of the quick drying types. Maybe the beginning of the end, so perhaps need to stock up! Cheers,Jim

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:16:20 am »

Yes, a lot of the new paints & varnishes now on sale are not as good as the previous versions. Part of the drive to make everything waterbased I think. Blackfriars also do decent Polyurethane varnishes and you can find them in local hardware shops.

As you say, maybe a good time to stock up a bit. An unopended tin should be good for a long while and you can keep it with your 100 watt light bulbs.  ;)

Colin

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:11:41 pm »

Hi Colin

Thanks for clarifying that - off to get some this weekend  :-))

longshanks

Jim

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:35:25 am »

Pleased to be able to report that Vigilant now has a lovely satin sheen, achieved with Ronseal thinned 5 parts varnish, 4 parts white spirit (Turps next time Snowwolflair  :-)))
Thanks for the help folks. Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.