Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Comtesse query  (Read 19110 times)

Sailmaker

Comtesse query
« on: September 10, 2009, 09:09:25 am »

I have nearly completed the Comtesse build and have a question about the jib sail shape.
The  jib seems to have been cut incorrectly unless it is a new shape and modified for some reason.
As can be seen in the pictures the inboard end of the jib boom points upwards by an excessive amount.
Looking at the lower sail edge the cut is very different from the plan view, it runs upward to the inner edge causing the boom to slope up as well.
There is no way to overcome this and I think it looks wrong and in my opinipon it looks stupid.

Has any member built the Comtesse that could post or send me a picture of their boat so as to compare the sail sshape.
I envisage a fight with the company to get anything done.

Looking at the plan shows the jib boom to be just below the main boom which means the jib is an inch or so short.

thanks.

Bugsy

Re: Comtesse query
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:09:40 pm »

There are a couple of pics here which may be of help to you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478851

I've just ordered this kit myself so will follow your thread with interest.

Gary.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Sailmaker

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 10:19:15 pm »

Thank you both for posting your pictures, there seems to be two different sail shapes.
I read somewhere about problems with the Comtesse when all the deck fittings and safety rails were fitted.
It would seem that Robbe have recut the jib to a different shape so the boom can clear the side rails.

I don't like the new layout but will have to live with it.

The best place to get the kit is here  http://conrad.com/
Currently it's £96.

Bugsy

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:10:00 am »

The best place to get the kit is here  http://conrad.com/
Currently it's £96.

Not if you live in France, unfortunately. I've ordered my kit from Conrad International and it cost 132 euros (inc delivery)  {:-{

Still the cheapest over here though.

Sailmaker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:57:24 am »

Yes I see what you mean, I must have been lucky because Conrad UK were selling for £96 inc tax and delivery and took 5 days to get here from France.
There was a £30 difference in price compared to other UK dealers.

I would make a suggestion about the build.

The main sheet pulley is positioned too high so the sheet can come off the pulley at maximum serve throw.
The Hitec sail servo has far too much throw for my build and the transmitter stick only needs to be at half way for full sail deploy.

I would suggest that you line up the servo height and pulley before you glue it in place, will need a new slot cut in the bulkhead.
It's also difficult to get the main sheet around the pulley so I used a length of solder and tied the sheet to it.

The main shroud wire was hard to solder so I used plumbing flux to help out.

Good luck with your build...

Sailmaker

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:27:23 am »

I did a test float to check the balance etc and scared the fish at the same time.
This is a first sailboat build and it seems to look ok.
The fittings need installing then off for a test sail.

Bugsy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 07:54:06 am »

Looking at those lilies, it's a good job you don't have a bulb keel  :-)

What have you covered the deck with ?

Sailmaker

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 09:56:05 am »

The deck is covered with Walnut strip, 4mm x 0.5mm. The finish is not as good as I would have liked but that's life.
I have included pictures of the radio setup and long shot of the deck.

My lack of experience has affected the overall finish, especially the deck and I decided not to multi colour the hull in case I ruined it.

I made a mistake and used deck stantions on the bow rails and am now 3 short for the safety rails.
Still loads of fiddly bits to fit yet.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:31:04 am »

Looking at those lilies, it's a good job you don't have a bulb keel  :-)
Speaking of the keel; the Comtesse is very similar to the Graupner Saphir and in our group there were some sailing their Comtesse together with the Saphirs (and my TT Voyager).

The could not keep up, despite similar hull length en sailsurface.
The answer to that 'problem' was to remove the thick keel from the Comtesse and replace it with the much thinner keel (and bulb) of the Saphir, including a keelbox, to made transport easier.

The converted Comtesse is now equal to the Saphir and also gives my Voyager a hard time every once and a while, much more fun to sail with.

But, weeds are a bigger issue now...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 11:41:11 am »

In fairness to the boat, the Comtesse is not a racing yacht.

Neither was the original 1:1 Contesse, a cruiser, although there were Contesse class races.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 08:46:45 pm »

We have 3 of these boats in our club but none of the jibs are sleeved up like that --- mind you they are older versions--- Are you sure you have the jib on the right way round???  If you have the luff and leach reversed it would more than likely stick up like that!
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 08:58:51 pm »

Been speaking to one of our members who has the boat and he said he moved the jib tack forward 3/4 of an inch  and she sailed better also it leveled out the jib boom
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

tony23

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 11:04:30 pm »

Jee's where did you get that beige receiver and servo from  {-)

Sailmaker

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 09:04:11 am »

I just noticed the picture that Martin posted is the same as mine. The cut of the sail determines the placing of the boom and as far as I can see short of replacing the sail nothing can be done. I still think it's to do with the sail clearing the safety rails.
The jib can only be installed one way round  and it's impossible to get my arm into the bow of the hull to do move anything.

I was wondering what is wrong with using the Futaba M series receiver/servo combination. I bought the set in the late 1960s in a model shop in Abingdon and it's worked fine ever since. I do not intend to spend loads of money just for the sake of it.
I bought new M series cables from http://store.modelpower.co.uk to make an adapter for the Hitec sail servo and that works fine.
See the picture of my North sea trawler installation. This includes a hombrew PIC ESC that works well.
My Comtesse is finished, all that's needed is courage to sail it for the first time.

Bugsy

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 09:27:04 am »

Sometimes you have to laugh at peoples comments  :-)

If the electronics work for you, thats surely all that matters, isn't it. As regards the jib, it will, of course, only fit one way.

I'm just starting on mine so will post a few bits on the build as I work my way along.

One question regarding the decking SM. Do you have any idea on what the total length of planking was required?

Good luck with the first sail.

Gary.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 11:34:45 am »

Nothing wrong with old radio gear...
Just be weary of those spring load AA battery boxes, I've had a couple split on me.
Use a couple of red Royal Mail elastic bands (from any nearby pavement) to help hold it together and a
 little white silicon type grease on all the electrical surfaces to help prevent corrosion.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Sailmaker

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 12:20:36 pm »

Thanks for the battery tip Martin I will do that.

Regarding the planking timber, I purchased 20, 1 metre lengths of 4mm x 0.5mm Walnut and have 4 lengths left.
I did not waste much so to be on the safe side you need at least 16. I used a combination of super glue and a contact adhesive to lay the planks.
Can you check yor jib sail and see what the bottom cut looks like.

Bugsy

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 12:54:18 pm »

Thanks for that.

I'll photo and post a pic of my sail shortly.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 01:29:52 pm »

Hi Sailmaker

Sailing is easy, getting fast is what takes practice  ok2

You don't need courage, just a fair wind  :}
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bugsy

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 01:35:18 pm »

Photo as requested SM.

Gary.

Sailmaker

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 11:01:02 am »

Thanks for the sail image Gary, it seems the cut is the same as mine which explains the boom position.
It would be nice to know why Robbe changed the shape.

Bugsy

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 01:58:04 pm »

No problem.
I decided to do some work on the mast and rigging today and now see exactly what you mean about soldering the stays  >:-o , it simply doesn't work. I've used 'crimps' in the end, much easier and probably just as strong.

Gary.

Sailmaker

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 08:56:54 am »

I thought at first that the shroud wire was stainless bit of course it could not be.
It seemed to be a type of shiny wire that for the 2 main shrouds I ended up using plumbers flux. There is a danger here that some types are acidic and may damage the wire.
For the jib one I used a different electronic multicore solder that worked first time. For the bow and stern railings I used the same multcore solder and sprayed them white.
I have not decided whether to install the safety rails as I broke 3 deck stantions.

Bugsy

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 08:36:04 am »

I've done a couple of modifications, one to the location of the pulley on the bulkhead (following your comments) and one to the forestay reinforcement (it doesn't fit flat due to the raised seam inside the hull).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.