Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working lights for 1/96 scale models - help needed  (Read 4139 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Working lights for 1/96 scale models - help needed
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:30:46 pm »

Is there a way you can add working lights (navigation colours, mast, interior, etc) to small scale boats particularly in 1/96 scale? LEDs seem too large and fibre optics too expensive and complex. Has anyone had a go at this?

Cheers
Simon  %)

marmoi

Re: Working lights for 1/96 scale models - help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:55:41 pm »

Hi Simon,

Lights are possible, as long as you are very careful and good a fiddly jobs!

Small LEds are available and a good place to start looking is the model railway shows where you can find helpful things like this;

http://www.toottootmodels.co.uk/N-Gauge-colour-light-signals.htm

Once stripped down you have minature LEDs wired and ready to go, you will just need to make sure you have the correct resistance for the size of battery you are using.

Regards

Mark

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:09:11 pm »

Thanks for the info Mark. Where could I get the right sized resistors from?

Rex Hunt

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:24:30 pm »

Here is a link to help with the wiring

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Long leg of the diode is +ve.

resistors and diodes are available from many places...but I tend to use Rapid Electronics.

Much better service/choice than Craplins.

Leds use a lot less power than incandecents like grain of rice/wheat bulbs, and don't produce much heat.

Rapid also do the data sheets on line that give you the factors that you need to use the above site succesfully.

Vs is the supply voltage of your boat.
If and Vf are given on the data sheets. Don't try to mix leds that need say 20mA If in the same circuit as those that need 30mA.

The site works out for you the correct value of resistor, correct wattage, and even gives you the colour code if you need it for the resistor value.

Good luck.

It's great fun...but needs a little planning.

My current (not a pun!) project will need best part of 100 leds!

Rex

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:49:34 pm »

Cheers for that Rex! All very helpful. What scale are you working in (re: the project with 100 LEDs)?

All the best
Simon

Mark47

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 01:21:39 pm »

Vs is the supply voltage of your boat.
If and Vf are given on the data sheets. Don't try to mix leds that need say 20mA If in the same circuit as those that need 30mA.

Rex
Hi Rex, can you expand a little? Information I have read on the Internet has given me the impresion this is OK to do as long as the correct resistor is in place for the relevant LED.

How's Hermes coming along? Have you done all that sanding yet?

Mark

Rex Hunt

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:55:37 pm »

if you have several LEDs in series....if one takes 30mA...they will all try to take 30mA.

This means that the smoke will come out of the smaller device and it will cease to function.....Piff Paff Puff!

Electronics is really fairly simple.

It is all based on the study of smoke.

Every component has its built in supply of smoke..........when contained all will usually work well.

However.....when the smoke escapes, the component refuses to play any more....and will need replacing. This causes a brief but unusual smell to exude....often followed by the user using Anglo Saxon expletives,....which doesn't actually help matters......and the user develops a hole in the pocket caused by the demise of the 'blown' component.

Sorry....but there is no way of getting the smoke back in once it has escaped form the package.

Only answer is to replace the package with a new one, with its own built in supply of smoke.

For my Hermes update...have a butchers at the Modelwarships UK site Aircraft Carriers section.....Rex's Hermes.

Suggestions appreciated!

Flight Deck needs nearly 50 leds on its own!

Rex

(in a flippant mood coz its Friday!)

:-))

ZZ56

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 01:30:38 am »

LEDs may be cut down, as long as you don't damage the metal bits inside.  The case is simply clear resin.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 08:06:17 am »

Component Shop can supply 3mm ultra-bright LEDs and the necessary resistors. If you obtain a (free) copy of their August 2009 edition "A Little Book of Lots of Batteries" there's a very useful article which explains how to choose, connect and fit the required resitors. 2p per resistor leaves 13p from Craplins for dead...............

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/ will find them.

I've permission from Iain Lewis to reproduce this article on our website; I just need a round tuit first  ok2

FLJ

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 09:26:35 am »

David, those Round Tuits are readily available in the tourist shops in Cornwall! :-) O0 :-)

Danny

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 10:28:07 am »

David, those Round Tuits are readily available in the tourist shops in Cornwall! :-) O0 :-)

Danny

"Great! I'll take four tourists and a couple of round tuits. Have them wrapped and put on my account, please."

Will see if I can get that LED article onto the website this week.

FLJ

Rex Hunt

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 11:38:50 am »

Can I suggest a link to this one too Martin, I have found it a great help?

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Rex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 23 queries.