Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: orca build  (Read 4580 times)

hollowhornbear

orca build
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:25:21 pm »

Hi All,
been posting here for a while in various topics, and thought it time i posted a build log.
Martin if you think this would be better elsewhere please move it, as i wasn't sure where to put it.
I have been dreaming of this for a while and then came across Pat tritle's plans ordered them cleared the board and started.
after careful study i decided to extend the keel below the hull, pat's plan shows it flush, but he added triangular strakes to help stop any sideslipping.
so without further ado here are some pictures.

hollowhornbear

Re: orca build
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:42:01 am »

orca gets its superstructure!

hollowhornbear

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:44:15 pm »

yep their the ones although i got mine direct from Pat here's the link
http://www.patscustom-models.com/boatplans.htm
he does some other movie /tv boats.
I'll be adding to Orca to make here look even more like she does in the movie.

hollowhornbear

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:50:56 pm »

a few more pics

AlanP

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:44:03 pm »

Ill be watching this build with some interest, just one question so far, are you using balsa or ply, hard to tell from the photo's.

Alan

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 12:37:28 am »

Hi, I got a lot of info on this website, there are a lot of still shots available that will give close up detail, and check out the "JT Builds", althoough he does not do RC just static, they are by far the best examples of Orca models I have ever seen.

I got B & Q to mix up some paint after getting a paint sample via that website from Universal Studios no less :-))

Hope thsi helps qwith your build, if you need any info just pm me

www.createforum.com/operationorca/posting.php?

this link should work

hollowhornbear

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:34:48 am »

Hi Alan, I'm using ply hull framing and balsa for most of the rest of the build, pmdevlin, thamks for the link have already joined operation orca, and with pics there and plenty of freeze frame on the DVD i'm sure i'll get there.
i'm contemplating detailing the interior although this will have to be fudged a bit to accomodate the motor, a 6v decaperm (at the moment).
hope this answers some questions, any more feel free to ask.

keef666

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 11:53:52 pm »

Looking good so far, did one myself few years back,  and it hasn't been in the water for a while now, maybe waiting for a rogue shark to be spotted,
 also got a mate whose lent my plans, had them enlarged and his will be 6 foot long, he's going to put three action men in when she's built, and i can't wait, 6 foot long  %%

hollowhornbear

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 12:35:52 pm »

here's a pictorial update, mast parts, pulpit plank and rails, and dry fit of parts to see how she's looking.

hollowhornbear

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:37:28 pm »

will post some more pics later.

hollowhornbear

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 01:57:17 pm »

more pics as promised, feel free to comment or ask questions. I think i should mention that's the third pulpit plank i have made, the plan shows it parrellel with a constant radius end, which after watching the film is wrong. i still have to add a small pulley to the front end. But after careful study i am happier with this one.
now the pics.

hollowhornbear

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 02:00:45 pm »

and some more

keef666

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 10:19:49 pm »

Thats coming along nice, when i did mine in balsawood with liteply deck, i needed a lot of lead to get her down to the waterline, keep on meaning to post some photos, will when i dig them out,

keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.