Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rubber tube coupling  (Read 2850 times)

lozvik

rubber tube coupling
« on: September 12, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »

Ive taken out the plastic huco joint leaving just the two brass inserts with the splines, (this seems to quiten things down considerably) what is the best tube or similar for the replacement, the piece of tube i have fits the splines well, but im not sure if it would slip round once in the water, any suggestions welcome, cheers

Big Ada

Re: rubber tube coupling
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 03:25:02 pm »

Hi Lozvic,
Hucos dont normally make that much noise, have you got to much of an angle at the joint ?.
You could try rubber gas pipe to join prop shaft to motor.

Len.

lozvik

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:31:52 pm »

its as straight as poss but still makes quite a bit of noise my bait boat is made from ply which obviously amplifies things, someone suggested a piece of rubber tube which i tried and can honestly say its made a massive difference. the only thing thats bothering me is that i can turn the spline inside the tube quite with my fingers and i wondered if anyone new a way to stop it, maybe super glue or something

Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:11:43 pm »

drill through and insert a bit of paperclip wire. Anothe possibility is a brass tube ring over it to compress the plastic onto the splines.

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:38:03 pm »

Any decent model shop that does aircraft should have the stuff you require.

The flying lads use thick walled large bore silicon tubing for their exhaust couplings. Take your brass Huco coupling with you and just try them and get one that is a tight fit on the coupling. A 1ft length should last you years. You will find that it will not slip if you get a good fit.

Huco couplings, engineering wise, are made to terrible standards, and most have some sort of built in wobble. Putting that tubing between the two ends absorbs all that, and things go very quiet, very quickly. In fact, in the end, I stopped buying the couplings and made my own better quality versions, still with the tube between though.

The local model boat club have been using this method for many many years, in fact I think it is one of the first things new members are shown how to do when they have a noisy boat.

Bogs

lozvik

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:45:39 pm »

Cheers guys

Big D

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 04:24:59 pm »

Hi
 I agree with "Bogstandards" reply, I have been using This system of coupling for years
and have not had any problems with it at all.
  I cut the length of tubing to make the coupling the same length as the original. Because if
it is to long it will screw up.  Give it a try.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 06:37:42 pm »

Hi , i use fuel(petrol/diesel) pipe which i buy from halfords it fits tight over the splined couplings and does not require drilling and pinning .
I have used this type of tube for a lot of my tugs without slippage .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »

I had a coupling break on me last weekend, solved it right away with silicon tube :-)) :-))
Alan

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 09:28:51 pm »

silicon tube does work well but only for the right applications , thats whay i use the pipe  i think it's better in high torque areas .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.