Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deformed ABS hull  (Read 3520 times)

WingRider

Deformed ABS hull
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:53:19 am »

I recently purchased a kit with an ABS hull. The hull and deck are in one piece with an opening cut out for access into the hull. My problem is that the ABS deck is angling down some into the hull preventing a good mating of the superstructure to the deck. Can heat be applied with a hairdryer or heat gun to straighten it back out? or is better to build a wooden coaming around the opening and brace the opening up with braces? There is nothing in the instructions concerning this. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I'm planning a build log for the kit soon. A 1/32 Vospar Perkasa.
This is the first time I've fooled with an ABS hull. {:-{

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Deformed ABS hull
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:44:59 am »

What kit is it ? have you any pictures and someone may be able to help more.

Peter

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:48:31 am »

You say the hull and deck are pre joined.

If that is the case, it could have been done during the joining process, in which case both parts are not in the correct position to each other, and no amount of heating or bracing will get them into their correct positions. It can only get to an acceptable compromise of being somewhere close.

Personally, I would put it back into the vendors courtyard and see what they can come up with. It is no use maybe damaging the hull and deck trying to get it realigned, THEN complaining it is bent.

I am a great believer in 'if it isn't right, it is the vendors problem, not mine'.

People are too easily duped nowadays into accepting shoddy goods and paying good money for the privilege of having to put it right themselves.

If they try to fob you off, just tell them that you have a worldwide audience, and you will be going 'public' with their problem.

If you do it right, you will have no need to try to repair it yourself.

Bogs

DARLEK1

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 11:55:38 pm »

I don't know too well ABS hulls apart from the Billings type ones, but, I do know they can't be bent back.
" Bog's"  post about bouncing it back at the vendor is OK, but, I have had situations before where people have purchased a fibre glass hull years before and left it propped up somewhere or lying in the attick etc, then had a complaint that it had twisted sometimes years later, the latest one 10 years later.
 What is the vendor supposed to do in this case Bogs?
 I have 27 hulls here framed out, that have not twisted due to the framing and the oldest one is a County class destroyer, I have had this for12 years so far and it is still as straight as a die.
 I am building a Calypso for someone now on an ABS hull and all's I can say is, what a bag of w""k. ;D

Paul... :-)

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:31:05 am »

Paul,

In all fairness I was talking about a pre joined one from a kit, as was stated.

With reference to your Billings hull, if it is that bad, contact them, I have only had very good dealings with them, and they do replace bad or missing bits with no argument. As do both Graupner (very good) and Robbe. Most UK kit manufacturers are the same if you have a reasonable complaint, or will usually try to help if it isn't. But don't expect free replacements if you have cut a lump out in the wrong place. In that scenario, you would be expected to pay for the replacement parts plus carriage. The vendor cannot be held responsible for your bad handywork. That was why I recommended not to touch the hull, but contact the seller.

I know all about glass hulls being bent from bad storage AND bad manufacture, been there, got the t-shirt, and baseball cap.

When a glass or plastic hull is bought, anyone in their right mind should check it out as soon as received, and if it isn't up to spec, then the vendor should have it inserted.
All I can say, if you don't check it out, then don't complain when it is found to be bent, or deformed under bad storage conditions.

I can honestly say, from the mid 60's, I have seen almost every sort of fault with moulded hulls you could imagine (and put a lot of them right), but it does seem that even nowadays, some people will try to sell shoddy workmanship and expect the buyer to put it right themselves. We have laws now that cover these sorts of things, whereas in the past, it was ALWAYS buyer beware.

BTW, I can't see anywhere in my post where it says do not frame a hull. My reference was to attempting to straighten things out where two parts had been previously joined incorrectly. Straighten the bent hull with framing, the deck bends out of shape, and vice versa.

Bogs

DARLEK1

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 01:12:14 pm »

I know you were Bogs, read what I said correctly, I was using it as an example.
 Paul... :-)

WingRider

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:04:12 pm »

Thanks for the information guys, sorry to not get back to you all sooner, but I want to the coast on holiday as you say. I plan on having some pictures up sometime this week so you can see what I'm talking about. This a Hooben kit as seen here; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074019&highlight=vosper
I don't think this is a screw-up by the factory but the nature of the processing of the kit. If you'll notice the picture which shows the gun rotation installation, you'll see that the edges of the opening follow the camber of the deck, mine droop down. Anyway, pics to follow soon. I want to correct the problem and build the kit, not hassle with the manufacturer and get another hull with the same problem.Thanks again for your input and suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.