Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin motor set up, Tank steering or mixer?  (Read 5079 times)

jasda3350

Twin motor set up, Tank steering or mixer?
« on: September 13, 2009, 05:26:57 pm »

I have converted my model slipway small rescue boat to twin screw. It currently has one esc controlling both motors (Speed 280s).  I want to make it more agile for docking and steering courses etc

I want to add a second esc and control the motors through a mixer to make it turn almost on the spot and to have better steering control in reverse. 

I have a 4ch radio and understand that a dual stick method of controlling the motors is also an option

Any recomendations?   

thanks for your time

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Twin motor set up, Tank steering or mixer?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:33:47 pm »

Probably the easiest method is to talk to Action electronics - Dave will happily take some of your hard earned in exchange for a little unit that will do exactly what you want.

The website is on the traders page.

Remember to tell him you are a mayhemmer - you get a discount much to his annoyance  :-))

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

das boot

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:41:32 pm »

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing, I emailed Dave the ActIon Man, he came up with the ideal thing plus I got a free wiring diagram. How's that...FREE!!

Seriously, contact Dave, he'll get you sorted.

Rich

artisan100

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 06:53:08 pm »

"Remember to tell him you are a mayhemmer - you get a discount much to his annoyance"

Not since July the First, sadly. <:(

Geoff

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 07:04:33 pm »

After a couple of years frustration, I fitted one of Dave`s units in my Aquarama and it is superb.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 07:22:43 pm »

What you need is one of Daves P94 lites DUAL ESC AND MIXER it will do all you want on 2 channels including tank steering and mixing. Give him a ring.

I have one in my Model Slipway Sentinel and it is excellent.  :-))

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

GG

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:31:19 pm »

jasda3350,
               I'm not going to tell you what to rush out and buy because both methods, mixer and "tank" steering, will work BUT both make different demands on your skills.  I'm happy to sail with either method, provided the model is moving at modest speeds.  Steering a fast model with differential control of the throttles can, in my experience, be a very imprecise method.

Also, does your transmitter have any built in mixing functions?  What you want is often termed ELEVON-MIX and will combine the conventional rudder+throttle sticks in the fashion you want.

So, I suggest that you buy a second ESC, which you are going to need with either method of controlling the model, and try "tank steering first.  If you like it, a tip is to imagine you are holding the model in your hands when operating the transmitter so your fingers on the sticks are trying to rotate the model, that's great.  If the transmitter does not have a built in mixer then at least you will be deciding if you want to buy a separate item to install in your model.

Let us know how you go on.

GlynnG

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:11:42 pm »

Here's an article I wrote for Model Boats mag a while back. It will explain the pros and cons, I hope.
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Twins%20Ver2.pdf
The little Rescue Boat is a tad too small for the P94 Lite, but a pair of P68 1Amp ESCs and a P82 Micro Mixer will do the job. Omit the P82 for Tank Steering.
FLJ

Cklasse

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 04:59:48 am »

The tank steering method is what I intend to do with my 1/72 scale Airfix Severn lifeboat. I will drive 2 modified micro servo with a 7ch heli Tx without a rudder and esc to save weight. I hope it is easy to drive in this way. Will try out in the next couple of week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.