Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metcalf TSDV Graemsey Supply Vessel  (Read 7711 times)

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
Metcalf TSDV Graemsey Supply Vessel
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:27:44 am »

Hi,

I'm very interested in making the Metcalf Mouldngs TSDV Graemsey Supply Vessel my next building project. Just wondering if anyone else has built this kit and has any comments? ie. plus and minuses, value for money, etc.. Many thanks. Cheers.

Bill.

Workboat

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Metcalf TSDV Graemsey Supply Vessel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:39:39 am »

Not built one of his offerings but have read plenty of bad reports on the quality of his mouldings and customer service plenty of posts on this site about this, would want to see what I was buying before I parted with my cash.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:51:06 am »

Bought one ,built it and happy with it ,yes there may be a few errors on the pland but i havent come across a kit that don't .
The kit Dave supplies is very comprehensive and a joy to build, on mine i used a different hyab type crane to the one supplied as it looked nicer infact i still have the originall kit unmade in the shack 

I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:58:50 pm »

Many thanks for the info gents. My main concern with this kit is with the fibreglass mouldings. I heard that when this kit was first released the mouldings were of very poor quality-pin holes, lots of flashing etc.. Metcalf even admitted this and later stated that improvements in the mold process for later kits would be far superior. Hope this true. Portside, your Graemsey looks great! I'm envious! What motors did you power it with? Cheers.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 02:57:01 pm »

There was a review in Model Boats magazine a little while back if you can get hold of a copy - August 2001 Issue.
Model Mags

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dash8man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 03:09:02 pm »

Thanks Martin. Got the Model Boat Mag review along with a review in Marine Modelling. Both are fairly positive on the kit.

Bill.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 06:24:43 pm »

thanks there dash8man  ,
i fitted a pair of 540's to which there was a thread on here about it,i was going to power them seperately but ended up using an electronize fr15 and she runs ok on that setup the only thing i was concerned about was the ballast as the 12v 7ah battery was a bit far forward on mine and i had to dump a lot of lead down the side of the rudders as she tended to push her nose down at full chat.
daz

DaveB

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 01:38:26 pm »

Hi
I built Graemsey a couple of years ago the hull moulding was not at all good and took a lot of extra work to get to the right finish, also the superstructure moulding took a lot of work, before building check the propshafts to make sure they are true its also worth adjusting the size of the acess on the foredeck to fit the superstucture as there is a lot of slack. Its not all bad news when finished it looked very good and sailed very well.
Dave B

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 02:15:58 pm »

Funny that the name of the vessel is spelled "Graemsay" (see picture above) yet Mr Metcalf's website etc insist on "Graemsey". Wouldn't exactly instill me with confidence in the rest of the kit.................  ::)
BTW did you fit those "quieter" 540's from Electronize, Portside?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 05:54:19 pm »

No FLJ i decided to leave the hunter systems rs540's in as the ran ok ;had her out today on the water but i blew the electronize fuse will have to re lube the shafts as they were squeaking a bit .
I am thinking of putting a wash board on the stern as she ships a bit of water over the back and straight onto the rear deck ,as my deck is only held down by gravity and a tractor water can get in there

jenno

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 07:45:46 pm »

dash8man,
                i had no trouble when i built mine apart from water on the deck  same as portsideII so i raised the hatch about 10 mm.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 06:30:34 pm »

dash8man nice idea raising the hatch been in the workshop today and had a thought and this is what i came up with

the door is hinged at the bottom and is held to the tail gate by two strips of ally

not tried it yet but if it works great

done a bit more to the crane and removed the chap from trying to nick the tractor and put him to work for his sins

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 08:19:31 pm »

been out tonight on the water at Goole ,tried out the water guard on the back works ok andalso put the original props back on that came with the kit as the brass one;s are to go on my nangee and they are good

god i love photobucket so easy

daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.