Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMAIL ATTACHMENTS FILES PDF/CAD  (Read 2176 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
EMAIL ATTACHMENTS FILES PDF/CAD
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:01:40 am »

Hi
Got an email the other day and it had two types of attachments, PDF and CAD.

While I can work with the PDF file which was opened and sent to My Pictures also put on to C.D.

The CAD is a little out of my league, as I've no cad experience. Will the CAD file be exact same as the PDF file in everyway or would it be a better drawing. I take it  I would need CAD on the computer to open it. I don't know what CAD programme it is but do they all work together. For instance would  one CAD programme open another CAD  files/drawings.

Seaspray

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: EMAIL ATTACHMENTS FILES PDF/CAD
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:14:19 am »

I know little about the field, so in my mind that qualifies me to have an opinion.....

I think there are many CAD programs, each trying to increase market share. Each of them use a proprietry file format (though there are open source CAD programs as well). In order to get market share, each CAD program will usually read several competitor's formats, and output in a few other formats apart from their proprietry one. The most comon 'standard' format is .DFX, which most programs will read, and which is often used as an 'interchange standard'. CAD programs will usually output as JPG or PDF as well.

A CAD format is usually a 'better' drawing - you can do more with it, but only if you've got the right CAD software. And CAD software, even the easiest, can be a little hard to learn how to use. If you just need a standard print, .PDF is fine and you can ignore the .CAD. If you want to alter the drawing or play with it, you will need to use the .CAD software.

You can get an idea of what CAD program was used to create it by looking here: http://filext.com/file-extension/CAD . It might be QuickCAD or CADstd.... You can often download free readers, restricted function 'lite' versions of CAD packages, or trialware and read the file that way. But it will probably take you a while to work out how to manipulate the image....

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:43:47 am »

If you just want to print, most copy shops will be able to print the CAD file.

If the PDF was is sized for A3 or A4 paper, then you can have problems enlarging. The reason is that as you enlarge the line will get fatter and blurrier (is there such a word?).

I believe the CAD file will print the lines crisp and clear; and as the size of print is increased, the lines will not. Depending on how the drawing was set up.
But I stand to be corrected.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:59:11 pm »

down load auto cad design review, think it,s called. go to auto cads site and look for it. it is freeware.
you have layer control, can measure, print to what you want, and all sorts of simple tasks. dead easy to use. get my boss to use it, and if he can any one can.
pdfs depend on how they were saved when sent to pdf printer, and paper size, scale all sorts of rubbish. real pain. hate 'em.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:00:41 pm »

cheers for the info lads

Seaspray

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:43:37 pm »

Hi,
All of the above are correct. You don't say what the extension is to the file name, but if its .DXF, then most cad programs will open it, and most companies have a free reader available, and the Autocad one is better than most.
Most print shops can print .PDF files, but the quality depends on how they are set up. Myself I mainly draw on A1 size sheets, but create a pdf in A3 size, reducing all the line thicknesses by half as I do it. This means that I can then print out (in my case I draw 1:24th) from the pdf with no scaling in 1:48th and at 2x scale at 1:24th, and the line thicknesses are correct on the sheet. I model in both these sizes. Works for other combinations of scale as well, if planned in advance.
Hope this helps a little
cheers
kiwi

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »

The file name is .DWG

Seaspray

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:54:45 pm »

.dwg is a auto cad file
 if you want me to play with it, tell me what you are after and send them to me and will have a gander
colin
grumpy old XXX

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 02:46:47 pm »

Try this site Seaspray

http://www.infograph.com/products.htm

Top left hand box is a free download of a dwg reading programme.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 04:10:35 pm »

Cheers Ian will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.