Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting a new Basswood model  (Read 2796 times)

mpegjohn

Painting a new Basswood model
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:15:28 pm »

Hi,
We have built a basswood model boat, and are wondering how to paint it.

We have read to use household primer/undercoat, followed by some household gloss.

Will that be OK?

Should we use some form of varnish as well?

As you can tell we are very new to this, so any advice would be very helpfull.

Regards,
John.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Painting a new Basswood model
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:51:18 am »

Hi John

Will it be a static model or will she get out on the lake as well?

Whatever you go for check out the threads that deal with paint compatibility.
And if you are using two different types of paint, even similar types from two manufactureres, do a test piece of wood.
If you start with enamel paints, stick with that, or use only acrylics. It is possible to use both but this seems to be where most problems lie.

You can use household paints. If it is a larger scale model and a subject where the original would have been brush painted, no problem. Just use a scale brush, maybe a 5-10mm artists brush.

May people also like to use automobile paint 'rattle cans'. Try and get the same primer.

When doing the parts that will be natural wood, I like to use a variety of wood dies. I use different dyes (or mixtures) on different parts. I do this because I think that if all the wood on the model is of uniform colour, it looks unreal.

A model can be finished with a matt (or even satin) varnish. If the varnish is of the same type (e.g. acrylic) as the rest of the paints, then touching up the model is easier. I believe that Plasticote can cause problems when toughing up.

I am no expert and I am sure others will be able to give more advice.
But if you look back through the posts on this board you will see this topic has been covered before, and all the information you need is probably already here.

It would be nice to see some pictures of your model as well  :} :}
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.