Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Textured Deck???  (Read 5524 times)

Mark47

Textured Deck???
« on: September 20, 2009, 05:42:30 pm »

I'm about to start my Trents deck and I got to thinking. What's the best way to do it?

I am going to use kids play sand to get the desired effect. I just cant decide whether to glue the deck, sprinkle the sand and then paint.

Or

Paint base colour, sprinkle sand and coat with finishing colour.

Or

Mix sand into base colour paint and apply, then paint top colour to finish. I think that although the sand will be mixed well doing it this way. The brush will give an uneven  distribution.

Anyone employed any of these techniques?

Mark

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Textured Deck???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:04:30 pm »

I went to my local chandlery and bought a can of International Interdeck matt grey, a tad expensive at £22 but gives a great anti slip deck finish.

Russ

Mark47

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:20:36 pm »

Thanks for the info Russ.

I don't want to put any more cash out just now. I told the mrs if I got the kit everything would be there give or take a couple of things. So far I've spent an additional £210 not including electrics and I've still to get Speedline windowsto get as well.

Mark

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »

I would definately recommend that you test both the techniques on a piece of scrap first to get an idea of which would work best.  I think painting then sprinkling the sand over the wet paint has the best chance but you would have to do small sections at a time otherwise the paint will start to dry and loose it's ability to hold the sand.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Mark47

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:40:17 pm »

I would definately recommend that you test both the techniques on a piece of scrap first to get an idea of which would work best.  I think painting then sprinkling the sand over the wet paint has the best chance but you would have to do small sections at a time otherwise the paint will start to dry and loose it's ability to hold the sand.

That's what I was thinking, just waiting for my son to go to bed. Then I'll get stuck in. O0

Mark

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:10:45 pm »

hI MARK47
hi this is what i use to get a no-slip finish on my decks it called rocket powder my method is paint a area of deck (say the fordeck) then with the rocket powder (snip a small hole in the top) hold it about 18inchs/ 24inches from the deck gently sprinkle it on looking at the deck to get an even covering (repeat untill the whole deck is coverd)  then let it dry! . then dust off rocket powder  that hasnt stuck to the paint  then re- paint the deck. thats it  finished.
Destroyer42

Mark47

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:23:23 pm »

hI MARK47
hi this is what i use to get a no-slip finish on my decks it called rocket powder my method is paint a area of deck (say the fordeck) then with the rocket powder (snip a small hole in the top) hold it about 18inchs/ 24inches from the deck gently sprinkle it on looking at the deck to get an even covering (repeat untill the whole deck is coverd)  then let it dry! . then dust off rocket powder  that hasnt stuck to the paint  then re- paint the deck. thats it  finished.
Destroyer42

Where do you get it?

Mark

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:27:48 pm »

hi Mark47,
http://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/pages/index.html 
I have attached the link.
Destroyer42

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:34:18 pm »

two simple ways of doing it, get some plastic bumper repair paint its got a fine texture, looks good or get some stone effect from model workshop and spray that then put your top coat on both work well.
both give a consistant Finnish

Peter

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 08:56:54 pm »

Hy HS93
B&Q do a small tin of doorstep/tile paint made by International for about a fiver, it has the grit or whatever they use already added, I think they only do it in a brownie /red similiar colour to Halfords red primer.
Dont know if this helps.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:00:10 pm »

Sorry guys that last post should have been headed to Mark 47,  %% I know, I know,  it,s an age thing
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Mark47

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 10:56:15 pm »

There seems to be loads of ideas out there. O0 %% %%

Mark :-))

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 09:48:33 pm »

Hi, I used the grit that came out of a sparking plug cleaner, it is extremely fine & is about the right
scale, I did get some correct non slip L/Boat paint when I made my Arun but it was way to coarse.
I painted the deck matt black & sprinkled the grit into the wet paint, it worked a treat.
                                             Nemesis

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 09:52:37 pm »

Some people have simply glued wet and dry abrasive paper on the deck and painted it with fine coats. It gives an even consistency.

Colin

Mark47

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 08:24:42 am »

Some people have simply glued wet and dry abrasive paper on the deck and painted it with fine coats. It gives an even consistency.

Colin

I used this on a Tyne I built years ago, but after a few years it started to lift.

I've went for painting and sprinkling sand. I will post pics when the top coats of paint have been applied in a couple of days.

Mark

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 04:19:51 pm »

I had the same problem of finish for the deck of the Trent I am building. Whilst thinking about the problem I found this in my local branch of Homebase.

1: It's a spray paint to give a fine textured finish on vases etc.

2: Deck sprayed with the paint, I know it's the wrong colour at the moment as they don't do it the required light grey !  8) It will have a thin coat of the correct colour when the base coat has hardened.

3: Close up of the texture.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Mark47

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 09:54:36 am »

That looks cracking Mike! :-))

I ended up going with the sand Idea. I will post picks soon, once I have painted the deck in the correct colour.

Mark

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »

i spoke to phil locke (17-21 on here)about this non slip deck....
 i used his method and that was mixing the sand into the basecoat of paint, this was brushed on, then rubbed back in a few areas where high spots occurred, the top coat colour was added and its stayed put and gives a good effect !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Stretch

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 11:16:56 pm »

Sand would be scale if your boat was an actual boat ..... matte paint or a fine powder would probably be closer to scale.

I used salt once thinking that the salt would absorb the paint , well it worked great however if you look at it with scale in mind it looks like a bunch ow two inch round rocks on the deck . The model was 1/24 scale.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 11:23:37 pm »

textured bumper paint gives a nice even Finnish.

peter

bbdave

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 07:31:20 pm »

i would have thought that scaled down standard matt paint would suffice for non slip

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 09:31:04 am »

I used halfords bumper paint . on my tyne lifeboat.  if you can fined a color suitable .

spray the deck to get an even coat of color , let it go off for 30 minutes, then holding the can about 12 to 18 inches above
the deck spay straight out so the paint falls gently onto to the painted surface. blow of the paint dust. and you will have
a rough deck surface, which I believe is a good affect noticeable but not like course sandpaper

Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.