Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maltese Falcon  (Read 2327 times)

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
Maltese Falcon
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:25:15 am »

While on holiday the last two weeks in the Isle of Man, I heard on the radio that the 'Maltese Falcon' had moored in Douglas Bay. For those who don't know of this mind boggling yacht, see here for more information.

http://www.symaltesefalcon.com/about.asp

There's only one statistic needed really, it cost £160 MILLION to build!

The next day I happened to drive past Onchan Head on the coast road and my wife nearly screamed when we came over the top of the hill and the 'Falcon' was still there, and quite close to the road too. Needless to say we parked up and took a few photos, then to our amazment the engines started and she moved off toward the south east and out of the bay. Even better, as she went she unfurled her sails and I was able to take an entire sequence of shots from bare poles to the full set of sails being set.

The sails unfurl sideways, from their storage positions INSIDE each mast, and travel along the yards till they are fully deployed. It's not very clear, but there is a HUGE Falcon motif on the centre sail of the main mast, and there are better pics of that on the web link above.

An amazing co-incidence that we just happened to be there at the right time, as she was in Sardinia two days before and off the coast of Portugal by last night!

[Hmm, the piccies didn't load. I'll try another method.....]

Regards
Kit

Wasyl

Re: Maltese Falcon
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:28:19 am »

Well done, to get those pics,But she does,nt ring my Bell,I can think of a lot better ways to spend £160,000,000,

Wullie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:08:50 pm »

How good is that.  :o
 I'll order one in Mayhem colour for Wicksteed 2010!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Wasyl

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:53:01 pm »

Why not push the boat out,and go for R Abrhamovich,s, £740,000,000,yacht,complete with missile and laser defense systems and a minature sub, 2 helicopters and 2 pools,and a fuel bill that,ll choke all the donkeys that are on the planet {-)

Wullie

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »

Blimey!  MF rings MY chimes, so hard the clapper needs replacement

I have a plank on frame version planned at 39 inches long, and a 'Merican friend is going for one much larger

Martin,  mine will be 1/88th scale.  Would you fund me the scale price (180million/88)= £1.81million? :embarrassed:
For thay money I would do the colour AND the boats AND the recreational sumbarine :}

andrew

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:38:49 pm »

It seems the MF's most recent buyer may be a Manx resident, thus the lightning fast trip to the island. It's not obvious from my piccies, but she was flying a Manx flag when she sailed, all-over red and a gold 'Three Legs' symbol.

A model MF would be an eye catcher for sure, would the sails furl and un-furl in scale fashion though? That might need a LOT of sail winches!
Regards
Kit
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.