Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The changing shapes of fishing vessels  (Read 4073 times)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
The changing shapes of fishing vessels
« on: September 23, 2009, 03:58:42 pm »

I think this photo I took this morning sums up the vast difference between a classic wooden 75ft trawler and her brand new , still fitting out , steel replacement

Furthest away is the new Fruitful Vine BF240 , nearest right is the original Fruitful Vine BF240 just being renamed Shamariah FR245

Original wooden Fruitful Vine BF240 being renamed Shamariah FR245

New Fruitful Vine BF240 still being fitted out
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: The changing shapes of fishing vessels
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 04:14:29 pm »

Almost looks like a Springer!  {-)

I suppose the cost saving of construction (Using slab sides) outweigh the fuel  running costs with of all those "edges" causing drag.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:20:16 pm »

I would also guess that square means a bigger load capacity. And more powerful modern engines make lumpier boats easier to push through the water.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

artisan100

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:07:49 pm »

It looks as though it belongs in a children's TV series. {:-{

Geoff

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:48:31 pm »

Hi Davie  :-))

Hope things have settled down now.

Yes when I came on to your site some time ago I was surprised at the shape of these boats have become. I take it, it is to do with health and safety, stability and storage area. They also look like they are self righting.

Seaspray

dan

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:01:23 pm »

this is a silly question, but why is the hull so deep, surly they wont fill all this space with fish?

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:01 pm »

Almost looks like a Springer!  {-)

I suppose the cost saving of construction (Using slab sides) outweigh the fuel  running costs with of all those "edges" causing drag.

They are about 10-15% cheaper to build with the hard chine hull Martin and quite a bit quicker to build as well. Fuel costs are getting lower with the new designs of bulbous bow , semi-bulbous stern skeg and new LIPPS propellers and high-efficency kort nozzles. To compare this design to an older steel design of the same length would mean this would need more power to steam at 10 knots than an older design from 30 years ago although burn not much more fuel. Some of the early hard-chine designs were pretty fuel hungry though.

I would also guess that square means a bigger load capacity. And more powerful modern engines make lumpier boats easier to push through the water.

Yes the fishroom in the new boat would be bigger than the older design but when the wooden Fruitful Vine was built she was a whitefish pair trawler so all her catch went in together starting from the aft side of the hold next to the engineroom bulkhead. With prawn trawling you keep the prawns stored forrard ( starting at the foreside of the hold working towards the middle ) and the fish stored aft. This is so they can discharge the prawn catch as soon as they tie up onto the lorries to the factories. The old Fruitful Vine has a 500hp Caterpillar main engine and the new steel one has a Mitsubishi main engine of 650hp but will fish with almost identical gear.

Hi Davie  :-))

Hope things have settled down now.

Yes when I came on to your site some time ago I was surprised at the shape of these boats have become. I take it, it is to do with health and safety, stability and storage area. They also look like they are self righting.

Seaspray

Yes things have finally started to settle down ( I didn't mention on here but my Father passed away on the 29th of August from C.O.P.D. after 40 years of heavy smoking so not a total surprise but still sudden ) thankfully. The safety aspect has driven the design of these new boats because of the restrictions on the amount of days they can fish they have to fish in very bad weather at times and the new designs have 15-25% more reserves of buoyancy than older designs. They do roll faster than a round bilge design however.

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 10:16:51 pm »

Thanks Davie, thought you would know the answers!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:28:50 pm »

If you want to see a step-by-step series of photos of how Parkol Marine at Whitby build new steel twin rig trawlers look here

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=989

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=988

Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.