Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billing, Mary Ann - Before I take the Plunge..  (Read 6274 times)

Aidi

Billing, Mary Ann - Before I take the Plunge..
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:43:32 am »

Howdie,

Just a quick note to say hello and introduce myself.    I am new to the world of boat building, but have experience in other fields of model kits.   

My aim is to attempt building a Billings model, and at this present time I am looking at buying the Mary Ann as my first build.   Main reason i have chosen this one is my father built one about 25 years ago and has it on display at home. Likewise this will only be a display model.   I figure that it would be good to have a go and see how my build experince compared to his (if he can remember!!)

I am not going to rush into this, i am taking my time and reading as much as i can before taking the plunge.

Best Rgds
Aidi

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billing, Mary Ann - Before I take the Plunge..
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:49:42 am »

Hi Aidi

Welcome to Mayhem. We hope you'll enjoy your stay with us. It would be nice if can post plenty of pictures of your build. If you have any problems, then I'm sure someone on here will assist you.

Lets see if you can 'beat' your Dad's Model    :}

cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:41:15 am »

Welcome Aidi and remember that there is always someone who knows the answer to any question you may have...Just ask away. No question is too simple....Enjoy your build and as Kenny said, don't forget the photos..

Barry

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:38:49 pm »

Welcome to the Mayhem, Aidi

Its a friendly and helpful forum, full of real experts on most subjects under the sun.

Have we mentioned that if YOU post pictures of your build WE will pass complimentary comments?
andrew

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 12:39:10 pm »

Welcome aboard.

The Mary Ann is a nice model.

It would be great to see some postings on your project. A build log would be even better. It would also allow you to pose questions and get advice from other builders as you go along.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:39:31 pm »

Welcome aboard Aidi !

"and remember that there is always someone who knows the answer to any question you may have..."
       Barry, do you know where I put my blue RNLI pen?!?!?    %)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 04:43:27 pm »

Martin,

Didn't you lend it Stav at Llanberis?? %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

Aidi

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 07:12:42 pm »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  I have a Mary Ann sourced about 20 miles from me in Bournmouth, so i might even pop down tomrrow and get it.

I will of course do a build log of my progress and accompany it with photo's.

All i need to do now is make a list of all the tools and materials i will need to get me underway.   

Rgds
Aidi

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:52:28 pm »

Hi there Aidi, and good luck with your build. Whereabouts are you? At 20 miles from Bournemouth, you may not be far from me, in North Dorset. Send me a PM if you don't want to advertise your home area. I may be able to help you with local clubs and sailing waters.

Danny

Aidi

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 11:46:52 pm »

Hi there Aidi, and good luck with your build. Whereabouts are you? At 20 miles from Bournemouth, you may not be far from me, in North Dorset. Send me a PM if you don't want to advertise your home area. I may be able to help you with local clubs and sailing waters.

Danny

Pm replied to

Aidi

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:10:19 pm »

I guess i am after a bit of reassurance before i take the plunge and buy my first model.

As per my initial introduction, i am keen to have a go at building the Mary Ann from Billings due to the fact my father built one a number of years ago.

My main concern is after looking at the instuctions for the boat on the Billings website.  They are pretty basic to say the least.    Having said that, the Billings boats are very popular.   Can i assume that in most cases, taking a step back, looking at what needs to be done and thinking about how you are going to achieve it is the way forward?

I have read many posts here from other modellers and gained a great deal in information on what is involved.  I dont think its beyond my capabilities, but just want to be sure that i am not going to buy this boat, take one look at it and wonder what i am letting myself in for!!

I would be intruiged to hear from others who have been in much the same situation as i am in now, and how they came to their decision to give it a go!

Rgds
Aidi

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 01:20:40 am »

I don't know if anyone out there knows the difficulty level (beginner, intermediate modeller, expert) level of this model.
Some of the models with few instructions assume a reasonable level of modelling experience.

I don't know your level of building experience, but what I would say to any new modeller is:
If this is your first kit, it may be better to start with something designed for beginners to boat modelling. This way you will learn a lot and still be in your comfort zone.
There are a few people who have bitten off more than they can chew, get deflated, and quit the hobby with a part finished model. This is both sad and avoidable.
If you buy from one of the larger model shops, that advertise on here, they should be able to advise you on an appropriate model for level of experience, so that your first experience is a pleasant and rewarding one.
Then you can move on.

If you are new to the hobby, you may be in a hurry to get on the water (I was). If so then get something that is fast to build, and will get you on the water quickly. You can then build a more complex boat at leisure.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 08:54:17 am »

Billings class this kit as for "Advanced Beginners". Their definition is thus:

This level is for those who have tried to build a model ship before, or perhaps one of plastic. These models also have a simple construction, though you will meet a number of 'challenges' on the way!

Doncha just LURV the way they've sneaked the word "tried" in there?!

FLJ

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:57:30 am »

The Mary Ann is described as an Advanced Beginner's model. In my opinion, don't let this put you off, as if you are keen on this boat, it will help you through the difficult times, of which there will be some. That though is half the fun, working out how to go about something and with this forum available for help and advise, I reckon you should manage it. The secret is to keep asking....

Manufacturers instructions are notoriously poor, but then again, when you have finished it, you get a real sense of achievement..

Barry

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:44 am »

Topic renamed.   :-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 10:23:11 am »

All i need to do now is make a list of all the tools and materials i will need to get me underway.   

Rgds
Aidi

Have a word at Westbournes Aidi, they will put you right.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 10:24:45 am »

Danny
Look under his name Danny, Blandford Forum.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Aidi

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 11:28:02 am »

Thanks Guys for the comments,  In my own mind i think i will be able, but just wanted to be sure.  I am sure there will be lots of searching on the forums and questions to be asked!

I plan on taking a visit to Westbourne tomrrow and having a chat with them.  As said, i am sure they will point me in the right direction

Dicky, i updated my profile after Danny got in contact with me via PM   :-))

Great forum guys

Rgds
Aidi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.