Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2mm thread 3 blade props  (Read 7192 times)

Wasyl

2mm thread 3 blade props
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:47:06 pm »

Hi guys,i,m looking for a supplier of 2mm thread 3 blade props, i,ve sourced the shafts from SHG,but they don,t have the props,

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 2mm thread 3 blade props
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:03:34 pm »

2mm thread props are quite hard to come by. An option is to get a 2mm nut and glue/solder it into a M4 prop.

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »

Hi Colin,tell me about it,SHG do the shafts but not the props?I read somewhere that is pos,to get inserts for 4mm props,but damned if i can find it,I suppose i ght have to up the size to 4mm shafts, which would mean altring the existing A frames on the Italeri S-boot,

<:(

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:21:40 pm »

I think one of the suppliers, maybe Prop Shop, will do you 2mm props at a price but otherwise you'll have to make your own inserts. I have done it myself. You can epoxy a 2mm nut into the 4mm hole in the prop. Use metal epoxy for a better bond. On a scale model it should work OK.

Colin

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:25:14 pm »

I got a pair of shafts from Astec last year they are some he make himself so may not be listed but they are 2mm shafts with a M4 end to take M4 props they are stainless so a nice job email him .

Peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:32:09 pm »

I don't quite understand that. How can you have a 2mm shaft with a 4mm thread on the end? I've seen it the other way round though.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:50:54 pm »

an adaptor that increases the shaft diameter. I used to used to use them to use 2BA props on a 4BA shafts
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:51:52 pm »

That's strange Wullie, have SHG stopped supplying them or are they out of stock?  I bought my 2mm threaded props from them to fit the shafts on my own u-boat so I'm not sure why you can't get them anymore.  Mine do actually have plastic bushes in them so they weren't 2mm originally.

Do you have a lathe?

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 12:00:47 am »

I don't quite understand that. How can you have a 2mm shaft with a 4mm thread on the end? I've seen it the other way round though.

Easy

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:50:03 am »

I picked up a 2mm shaft with a 3 blade prop from Jerome (SHG) at the last show a month ago. It's the same as the one in the Slipway Puffer kit. It's not shown in their 2008 Catalogue, though. Why not give 'em a ring?
FLJ

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:30:09 am »

Cornwall Model Boats do plastic ones. LH and RH.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/plasticm2.html
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

allnightin

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:12 am »

SHG use 2mm shafts for the conversion set for the Italeri 1/3th S-100 E Boat.  They supply 3 bladed props (30mm diameter I think) for this which were 4mm but which they have adapted down to 2mm.  I'm still waiting for mine because they only had one of the handed types at the moment and were waiting for more to come.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 05:46:44 pm »

Cornwall Model Boats do plastic ones. LH and RH.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/plasticm2.html

Yup. The Cornwall ones are probably from the Graupner range? I got a 2mm prop shaft with prop from Cornwall recently, and a different 2mm prop shaft with prop from Hobbies (who also do just the props.) The Hobbys one is a lot finer pitch than the Graupner one. You can see a picture of both on my RAF Tender build log  - http://modelboats.hobby-site.com/RAFPics1.html - I don't recommend the Hobbies shafts, but the props look fine...

Wasyl

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 06:31:30 pm »

thanks guys for all the input and advice,and the sources,As for SHG not having the 30mm props to fit the 2mm shaft,well i think  lthat was me being negative,as i could,nt see them on their site so i assumed they did,nt do them,i saw the ones on Cornwall,and they look good for what they are,as for the 4mm fitting a 2mm,i remember years ago i used to get heli-coils for bigger sizes so i assume you,ll get them for smaller,or i can go down your road Colin,and fit the nut,

As for a Lathe???
the last time i used a lathe was in 1962 in the metal work class at school,making a plumb bob,

Wullie

Dreadstar

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 01:38:45 pm »

George Turner models supply a 4mm - 2mm brass reducer which should help . :-))

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 04:19:22 pm »

Hear is how Astec do it 2mm shaft M4 prop adapter on end. shaft  is in Stainless steel

peter

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 04:47:35 pm »

Prop shop do 2mm thread 3 and 4, 5  bladed props 3 bladed 10mm dia and even a 5 bladed 15mm dia, and are not expensive, and are one of their regular sizes, no special tooling etc they are normally in stock.

You get a quality product at the end of the day, a true scale prop that will out perform the cheaper variety. With less load on your motors too  O0
Here are a pic of what they do for you to think about. ( I have no connection to them at all .only as a satisfied customer ) They do the prop shafts too ( correct ones with bearings.. the nuts in the pic on the prop end are only there for storage so I don't loose them)

Regards Sub.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 05:21:24 pm »

Prop shop are some of the best Cast Products  about  .there shaft are very nice to some have stainless outer tube as well

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.