Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug engine sound effects?  (Read 15132 times)

lighterman

Tug engine sound effects?
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:48:13 pm »

Hi there every one!
i asked about sound Fx for a model tug i am building and wondered if anyone knows the type and supplier for the unit in this model i found on you tube.
and does anyone know if it programable to make the air start sound every time it goes from ahead to astern..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cJVmWUzws

heres hoping someone can help out
Thanks in advance

Martin

barryfoote

Re: Tug engine sound effects?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:01:14 am »

Morning Martin,
The sound units are made by this company.

http://www.modelsolutions.ca/

Not cheap but sounds great to me.

titoneri

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:53:54 am »

Try Graupner new units Nr 2382  much better, easier to use and a much better price with uk support.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:24:20 am »

Try Graupner new units Nr 2382  much better, easier to use and a much better price with uk support.

Have you got a Graupner unit Titoneri?
 Love to hear it.  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

lighterman

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:09:34 am »

i rather like the sound of this, anyone out there know the make of the sound unit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cJVmWUzws

lighterman

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:13:49 am »

damn.. i have already asked this question.... and had 2 replies.. teach me to read before writing... or as the old man used to say IN-GAUGE BRAIN BEFORE STARTING!

any how.... how is everybody? :)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:33:22 am »

Fine thank you.  I hate to see a guy talking to himself!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 06:02:54 am »

I've email the guy but no response.
  I still think it's the JJC unit... now no longer in production....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX3biLUAtkI&NR=1   :-))

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlnDbndomcY - http://beier-electronic.de/modellbau/index.php
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:13:47 am »

Take yourself down to a suitable river or harbour and listen to ships' passing. What do you hear? The sound of the water's passage around the hull; perhaps a rattle from deck machinery; maybe something being moved on deck; the thrash from the prop if the ship is in ballast.

What you do not hear from the bank/quay (other than as perhaps a low hum) is the sound of engines. I have heard some models with engine sounds that are over-amplified to the point that, if it were real life, the crew would all have been driven mad and deaf. Smaller craft may well have engine sounds audible to observers but for anything of any size, engine sound effects are pointless.

Cheers,

Barry M 

chrise

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 11:20:17 am »

What you do not hear from the bank/quay (other than as perhaps a low hum) is the sound of engines. I have heard some models with engine sounds that are over-amplified to the point that, if it were real life, the crew would all have been driven mad and deaf. Smaller craft may well have engine sounds audible to observers but for anything of any size, engine sound effects are pointless.

Cheers,

Barry M 

I largely agree but there is that heavy rumble of a large ship/ tug engine which is almost felt as much as heard & can be heard for miles in the right weather conditions. Unfortunately I have never heard it modelled.
Chris

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 01:03:57 pm »

Chris,

You might hear a bit of a rumble on a multi-cylinder, high speed diesel when it revs up but otherwise very, very, little. This one goes into the same box as the 'Green Flash'.

Cheers,

Barry M

chrise

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 02:10:54 pm »

If you stand on the banks of the Mersey in Liverpool or at Portishead Point in the Bristol Channel or somewhere similar, particularily at night, you can very clearly hear the rumble of the ships going by. You can clealry hear the ships coming before you notice the lights. It is however, I agree, not the sound of a "mechanical engine" but just a very heavy pulse rumble.

I have also sailed the Channel at night in a small sailing boat & believe me you can hear large ships coming for miles. It is an uncomfortable experience when you cannot see them!

Chris

lighterman

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 04:47:15 pm »

Thanks for all the replies!
yes you are right about the sounds of engines i know for a fact you could hear one of our old skippers long before you heard the tug! it was the sounds of the air start then the engine picking up, that i rather liked, just needs the collision alarm that we had with this certain skipper. you would clang clang clang (slow astern).. clang clang clangclang (full astern) then the voice from the wheel house &*it ..@%it  STAND HARD!!!! (boing...)
:)
when i world on the older direct reversing tugs the scene in the morning of the big white smoke rings as she started and the steady THUMP THUMP..
i think thats why i build lighterage tugs to bring alive those sights and sounds... now be honest folks how many of us stand at the pond side in a world of our own and make the noises as you go through the card??? %%... where are my pills?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 04:59:00 pm »

You cant hear the engine, all you can hear is the exhaust note and with generators usually a higher pitch than the Main Engines you tend to hear these.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 05:22:42 pm »

I have to disagree about the engine sound's , we have a tug in goole that you can hear over a kilometer away (thats how far it is from my house to the docks) and the sound is not a dull drone but a heavy exhaust and roaring diesel engine as she drags a ship of 4,000 ton around the docks (she probably weighs no more that 5 ton).
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »

" now be honest folks how many of us stand at the pond side in a world of our own and make the noises ....."

That's ridiculous..... but embarrassingly true.
I defy anyone that has ever had a model train set to deny getting their eye down to track level as the train came round the oval again for 350 time! Even I was was leaning this way and that with my surfer girl just last weekend.
( http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20082.msg193850#msg193850 )

Boat sound just breath life into sometimes lifeless models..... it's no worse that having still figures on the deck!  :-)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 07:18:16 pm »

But it is still the exhaust note you hear NOT the engine.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

chrise

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 11:07:13 pm »

But it is still the exhaust note you hear NOT the engine.

Bob

Yes that is most probably true. The mechanical bits are very well hidden. The original point was that boats with large engines do make a noise but it is not the mechanical clatter of most sound boards. I have yet to hear a sound board that does a good big engine "exhaust note".

The other problem that I have is how the sound board responds to throttle. Modellers change throttle in a completely different way to engineers of large ships. Idle to full power to idle in three seconds is fairly common in a model but unheard of in a superrtanker. Sound boards are normally too responsive & make the throttle response of a super tanker more like that of an F1 engine.

Having said all that if sounds makes it more realistic to the guy who spent the time & money then that is absolutely fine with me.

farrow

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 11:36:49 am »

Why not record the sound of an Arctic lorry it is much the same noise, ie a large diesel exhaust, except the marine version is more silent. What people hear or feel is the vibration from the prop. Though yes you will hear a large vessel from the distance on small private pleasure boats, because in those you invariable live below the waterline and the sound vibrations from an engine room do travel long distance through water, but in modern commercial ships crew quarters are required to be on or above the main deck so they will not hear those sounds.

farrow

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 11:48:26 am »

Hi Lighterman, yeah I know what you mean about with the sound of the old slow rev, air reverse diesels. They had a very distinctive noise and sounded impressive, plus it made the skipper think about his engine movements because of the very limited amount of movements before the air bottle could be recharged again, I have heard of collisions because the air bottle ran out before it could be recharged.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 01:11:37 pm »

Main engine airstart compressors are always run during manoeuvring to keep the bottles topped up for direct start engines. The problem comes when the Old Man or the Pilot become too enthusiastic and demands more stops/reverses than the compressors can keep up with. Stories of the Engine Room 'phoning the Bridge and saying "You've two movements left - which ones do you want?" are not unknown. Not a problem that steam ever had.

Barry M

farrow

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 10:00:13 pm »

Yeah that is what I mean, I know of one story concerning the tug Expellar at Chatham Dkyd, she could manage I believe between 7 to 9 movements on her bottle. When assisting a vessel out of the Lock to No 1 Basin, the Pilot asked too much to quick and she hit St Marys Wharf at half ahead and broke a stay. But it did mean when operating these vessels you had to plan and judge your manoeuvre very carefully.

Steam Head

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 10:51:47 am »

Re prices of these sound modules.

In OZ, (today), the Graupner is AU$337, (from Cornwall boats), and the Canadian one is AU$215. ( http://www.modelsolutions.ca/)

No Contest whatever, especially as the Canadian unit out ranks the Graupner with features by far.

Where I sit, a MUCH better deal, as the service from both countries to Australia, at best can be questionable, or as usual from the companies I normally deal with, superlative.

The Canadian one gets my dollars, and tonight.

Sounds stupid, I know, but in all the years I've been on-line, I've been dudded once, (by an English company who shall remain nameless).

Just thought you would like to know.

Best regards to all,

Steam Head.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 11:22:57 am »

Right, so you have a thing about English companies, so you buy a sound unit from a Canadian company owned by an Englishman. Makes sense I suppose. {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Timo2

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 11:47:40 am »

Hi All

FLJ new unit all sing and dancing  MP3 unit 8to10 weeks away ?

P100 Noisy Thing - Progress Report
I guess the news about this exciting new sound unit is out now. The prototype units we had at the show were misbehaving a little but we think we've sorted that out now. The next step will be for Dr Tim to come up with the software in a user-friendly form, then we will send out a few units to selected customers for testing and feedback. Once that's been done we're into writing the manual and producing the first 100 units. We reckon these should be available around February next year. For further information as it becomes known then please send an E-Mail to Iwantone@actionp100.co.uk. We will send out a "global" reply once we have final details of spec, price, delivery etc. Please don't ring up Dave and pester him about it - he has a LOT of soldering to do!

Timo2

Built by a modeler for modelers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.