Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stabilit Express  (Read 11577 times)

maw

• Shipmate
Stabilit Express
« on: November 18, 2006, 09:34:48 am »

I'm sure that someone out there can help.
I've just got some Stabilit but I can't read the German instructions.
what is the mix ratio to use?

Thanks Mike

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Stabilit Express
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 10:05:59 am »

Have you got the 3 size mixing dishes and the 3 size ladles. If you have you are away.

If you only want a small quantity then put small ladle of powder in the small section of the powder container,then fill to the top from the tube. Mix with stirrer.

Takes about 5 minutes to dry ,you wont move it after then.

Richard :) :)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

maw

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 11:16:52 am »

I haven't got a 3 size mixing tray, I've only got the one (see pic)
From your last post I'm wondering if a level spoon measure of powder in the mixing recess is then topped up to the top from the tube?

Thanks

Mike

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:40:29 am »

You've got it in one, Mike. When using Stabilit I tend to put the required amount of powder in, then add half to three quarters from the tube, this allows you to mix without spilling half of the mixture out of the bowl. Once mixed thoroughly, add the rest from the tube to top up, and again mix thoroughly, but don't take too long, or it will have set!

Danny

maw

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 12:26:39 pm »

Thanks Danny, I'll go that route

Mike

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:26:22 am »

It is super stuff. The best I have found for joining dis-similar materials. However, it does go off rapidly. I tend to spread it with a cheap artist's paint brush and then discard the brush. That is not as wasteful as it seems as I use Stablit only occasionally for jobs where I am joining different materials (say, wood to plastics). Then only when I have doubts about the grip and longevity of other adhesives. Stablit is too expensive for general and repeated use.

Roger in France.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 10:19:13 am »

As said before- the ratio is a spoon of powder and the rest filled up with the mould.
But I have found out that Stabilit had some negative attributes. By using the wrong ratio, or after a long time it will start to splinter. Any surface (i.e. fibreglass) must be roughend and cleaned with Acetone. Although it will not connect perfectly with polyester-moulds.
This is the reason why I`d prefer UHU ENDFEST 300 for any glueing jobs. The ratio of UHU is 50/50 and you can mix it in your wanted quantities as with Stabilit you have to fill up the bowl to avoy any mis-ratio.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 05:04:11 pm »

I really like Stabilit but I've found that Devcon Plastic Weld is just as good and a darn site cheaper!

http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct.cfm?familyid=182

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 05:13:48 pm »

I've used Stabilit for many many years - and yes it is expensive but it works. Some of the original stuff has splintered but that has only been in the 'wet' parts of submarines. I've also used the UHU version as it was originally more cost effective - but the price gap seems to have closed lately.

Andrew

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 11:52:46 pm »

Here is a translation of what is written on the box:-

"Ensure the adhesive surfaces are clean and dry (use a solvent such as acetone). With metal and plastic roughen up surfaces to increase bond strength. Put a spoon of hardener powder into the mixing tub and fill up to the edge with resin. Thoroughly mix with the pointed end of the spatula. Apply mixture thinly to both surfaces. While setting, hold the parts together with tape or a clamp (for approx. 20 minutes). Use the mixture within 10 minutes. After hardening, the remaining adhesive can be removed from the well by tapping from below. Storage: Please keep in the packing. Store in a cool place, avoid temperatures above 30 C"

I think this ties in quite well with the advice already given, I think the 10 minutes is a bit optimistic - it has usually set by then! I have tried the UHU equivalent which is cheaper but I still prefer Stabilit, Alan

maw

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 11:49:56 am »

Thanks for the box translation, I'm enlightened!  :)

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:03:05 pm »

I really like Stabilit but I've found that Devcon Plastic Weld is just as good and a darn site cheaper!

http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct.cfm?familyid=182

bought some today from Westbourne Models .............................. it even smells the same as Stabilit ! wonderful.
in my own little world

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:19:18 pm »

Rob..... some use to claim about the drug-abuse of the youth.... and you sit in your workshop sniffn Stabilit????  :o
No good example.....  O0
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 11:30:26 am »

i figure the average "yoof"  "chav" or whatever they are known as , havnt got as far as discovering Stabilit yet.. to expensive when you need to buy bling as well .

as for sniffing, there is nothing finer than plumbers plastic pipe glue on a hot day in a shed !  ( beware the side effects, im a plumber and have been trained in them !)  not that i would condone any little motherless sniffing anything less lethal than cyanide gas.
in my own little world

Adam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 02:04:55 pm »

If you need Stabilit Expresse you have to be quick. It's taken out of production.
At least here in Holland.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 04:06:57 pm »

A Model World had plenty at EPIC O0

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.