Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: any one out there interested in airboats, or am I the only one building them  (Read 9533 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Is this the site? - cajun Gator Air Boats
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

d-jnana

• Full Mayhemer

Is this the site? - cajun Gator Air Boats

Looks very like it from the homepage , though I haven't had a chance to look through it yet.

Cheers

Gary

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer

Check out Canadianairboats.com -good gallery and video. I really like the 16'beam by 30' long twin motor one.

d-jnana

• Full Mayhemer

Check out Canadianairboats.com -good gallery and video. I really like the 16'beam by 30' long twin motor one.

I feel a 1/12th scale comming on. Pair of big 4 strokes? Ally hull? HHHHMMMMMMMMM

Back to reallity how do I explain that one to the wife.

Model air boats have three prices:-
What you think it will cost.
What it actually costs.
What you tell your wife it costs.

lildavid

Hi,
 Our pond has sprung a leek and has settled at 2.5 inches, and thought an air boat would sail on it while repairs take place, Did some rough drawings for an 18incher, my query is ,if anyone could answer, what size prop will i need running from a 540 ish motor on 7.2/8.4v does it have to have more than two blades ??? please bear in mind that this will only be a fun boat and not needed to be seriously fast.
Cheers Dave

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Dave

You might like to build something like I have. Its cheap, easy to build and goes very well.

Hull - block of polystyrene foam, 25" x 11" x 3".  Taper the underneath from 1" at the bows to full depth at 8 "  back from the bows.

Cover with thin balsa ( I covered the underneath of mine with thin styrene sheet but I like to slide it up our concrete slipway when leaving the water)

Hollow out to take the radio gear (mine is in a small waterproof box - a mini size  rx and a small aircraft size controller.) Also hollow out for the battery pack.

A 500 motor using an MFA Olympus belt drive gearbox with a 9" prop gives plenty of push on a 7 cell pack ( 8.4v)

Balance is very important. Balance the whole lot at 2/3rds back from the bow.  Mine weighs 3lbs 14 oz ready to go.

The prop is protected by a hoop of thin ply with the twin rudders (linked together) 9"x2"  supported on the hoop at the top and the deck at the bottom.

A standard servo is recessed into the foam and linked to one rudder .

A driver giving an irreverent gesture completes the model  :D ( This is not compulsory though ;D

Don B

lildavid

Hi Don B,

just looks like what im wanting thanks for the info will let you know how i get on

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.