Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Billing No 472 - Mary Ann Build Log  (Read 26277 times)

Aidi

Billing No 472 - Mary Ann Build Log
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:04:19 pm »

Well,  here we are!    After nearly a week of reading the internet, joining this forum getting opinions and advice, I went out today about bought the Billing Boats "Mary Ann" No 472.   Along with the boat itself, i got the basic tools to get me underway.    

There is a reason why i chose to build this particular model.  About 30 years ago my father built the exact same model.  So, thought it would be good to have ago myself and see if I can achieve the same sort of results as he did.   He does not know i am doing this, and if all goes to plan I will give it to him when its complete.   Not sure what he will do with two... but it will be interesting to compare techniques!!  Anyway, back to the build itself.

The boat was bought from Westbourne Model Shop and the chap who I spoke to (sorry forgot his name) could not have been more helpful!  I didnt even have to ask for the box to be opened to look inside.    At this time i have just opened the box and looked at the contents and taken the pictures below.  Next task will be to check that everything major is there.

This is a first time build for me so i am sure there will be some ups and downs and a few questions to be asked.  But, if all goes to plan this will help someone else in the same position as me to give it ago.

Best Rgds
Aidi

PS. If you are planning on using this build log to aid in your own build of this model, please read all the way through prior to commencing your build.  There are numerous "hints and tips" which have added at various stages which could aid you prior to comencing a particular step on the build

Thanks very much
Aidi

barryfoote

Re: Billing No 472 - Mary Ann Build Log
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:15:02 pm »

Looking forward to the start.. :-) :-) :-))

ajb68

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »

Good luck with the build , hope all goes well for you  :-)) Regards Andy

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:53:21 pm »

Hi Aidi

I have built one of those. You can see a few pictures of my build here:- 

http://lutonmodelboat.co.uk/maryann_gallery/index.html

Have fun. I must admit that I did enjoy the build.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Aidi

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:59:12 pm »

Many thanks for the link Bob,  I am sure i will be refering to the pictures a fair bit during the build

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:04:34 pm »

Aidi

I still sail the 'Mary Ann' regularly. In fact it is one of my favourite boats.

If you need any detail photos let me know and I will see what I can do.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Aidi

Step 1 - Read & Measure then... Read & Measure again!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:31:20 pm »

After much studying of the plans and looking at the picutres of Bob's build, I made a start.  Being new to this I was probably a bit over cautious.  Double checking that I had the right bits of wood and  double checking the measurements as per the manual.  Over all, it took me a bout 45 mins to get to this stage!  Anyway, its only the first step, but I quite pleased with how its gone so far.  

Rgds
Aidi

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 01:07:53 am »

Hi Aida

I am looking forward to watching this build.

As for taking your time. You can never take too much time. Whenever I hurry, that is when I make mistakes.  :embarrassed:
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:33:29 am »

.....and remember the old saying...."Measure twice, cut once"......

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 08:55:26 am »

Aidi,

One of the first things I did was fitted the propshaft.

I did not use the propshaft provided but bought a new Graupner shaft from Westbourne models which I then cut down to size.

I drew the outline of the frame on a piece of card and then cut a piece the size of the shaft from the stern frame along the line I wanted.

Using the outline to ensure the frame was the correct size and shape I then glued the shaft in place with araldite being careful to ensure the frame remained flat.

This was the simplest and easiest way I could think of to complete this operation. Much easiier than doing it later.

Hope this helps.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Aidi

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »

Thanks for the tip Bob. I did notice you had done this in your pictures.   Would you still suggest doing this even though its only going to be static?   I dont have any intention of going down the RC route with this build.

Rgds
Aidi

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 07:57:55 pm »

Aidi,

Sorry, I just assumed that your intention was to sail it.

In that case the propshaft supplied will be fine.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Aidi

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 10:59:46 pm »

Just a quick question if anyone can help...  Can i assume that the main board with the laser cuts of the vertical frames are in the correct order from bow to sternl?  

The two bow and two stern pieces are pretty obvious, its just the ones in the middle which i am concerned with.  

Rgds
Aidi

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 11:18:50 pm »

Aidi,

If you look at page 21 of the handbook you will see a drawing which shows all the frames numbered.

You then have to match these frame numbers to the drawing on page 12 to ensure you get them in the correct place.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Aidi

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 11:33:48 pm »

:embarrassed:

... The old saying comes to mind...  RTFM!    Thanks for the quick reply Bob,  much appreciated

Rgds
Aidi

Aidi

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 09:44:00 pm »

I am pleased!   :}

It amazes me how doing something which in reality is pretty simple can give so much satisfaction.    Last thing i did last night was to glue together the length of wood which makes up the keel and where the frames slot onto it.

I have just removed the clamps and sanded the odd bit of glue off the surface.  I am quite pleased with the result!

Aidi

Aidi

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 07:58:50 pm »

Its starting to look like a boat now!  All of the frames are now numbered in the correct order, and the small spacers between each frame measured and lettered.  Much to my delight when the frames were positioned, the spacers fitted in the gaps just perfectly.  I guess luck was on my side tonight (more than i can say for my day at work!)

Time to get the set squaure out and get the frames and spacers glued into position.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 08:06:17 pm »

Nice shine on the bench  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Aidi

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 10:26:26 pm »

Another shot after the first of the frames and spacers have been glued into position.

barryfoote

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 08:33:23 am »

Looks a good steady start. Just ensure the frames are all square and sat low enough on the keel. Sorry if teaching granny to suck eggs...

Aidi

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 09:31:21 pm »

Things are coming along nicely!  I did have a scare and a moment of panic though!  After the frames had been glued into position with a lot of care to ensure they were square, one of the frames had moved and was tilting over to the right (looking from the stern).  Wasnt really too sure how to proceed, so after asking the question over in the tech forum, i eventually decided to give it a small "wiggle" and much to my delight the offending frame came loose without any damage.  Guess i was lucky this time, or didnt use enough glue in the first place!

Anyway, the ribs which go between the frames are now in place and the horizontal strengthening bars glued into position.   A quick tip here... make sure that the 3x5mm strip which runs the length of the boat will fit in the frame parts 2 and 9 before you glue those frame parts into position.  On frame 2 they fitted just fine, but on frame part 9 i had to chisel a small amount away so it would fit in the gap. This would have been much easier being done before the frame part was in position!  When it came to fitting the supporting strips they proved to be quite difficult to hold into position.  With a bit of care i managed to utilize the small clamps which i already had.

So far I have even exceeded my own expectations.  I am very pleased with the progress i have made.  Next is getting the deck into place and before i know it ill be starting the planking!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 02:24:28 am »

Looks a good steady start. Just ensure the frames are all square and sat low enough on the keel. Sorry if teaching granny to suck eggs...

Yep, I can second that.
I had a frame sitting too high when I did my first attempt at a scratch build. Luckilly the glue was not fully set before I realised. Pulled it off, re cut, and glued again.

Your boat is coming on nicely Aidi
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Aidi

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 11:20:48 pm »

Not much progress over the weekend.   The deck is the next thing to go on.   Just spent the last hour going over the model and found a couple of areas which needed attention with a bit of glue!    A couple of areas took a bit of thinking about to get some sort of clamping in place, but with a couple of elastic bands and some of the off cuts its amazing how you can figure out a way!

Hoping to get the deck in place over the next few days

Aidi

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 06:58:28 pm »

The decks are now in place!  The slots on the decking which fit between the frames needed a bit of enlarging so it fitted nicely.  I was a little unsure to start with, but after seeking some advice (thanks bob) they were suitably enlarged, and the deck fitted like a charm.  Again, a bit of modification so the two deck pieces joined nicely along the edge and it was ready for glueing. 

Make sure you have clamps with enough reach so the deck is secure against the frame of the hull.  I ended up using a combination of small clamps, clothes pegs and elastic bands!  I also found that velcro straps were useful to keep the decks tight together in order to get a nice snug joint along the centerline.  Again, i took my time, sought advice and with a little latteral thinking came away with a nice tidy finish.

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 07:14:50 pm »

Aidi,

An interesting point! Your deck sections don't appear to have the overlay printing that mine had.

The overlay print was certainly useful in positioning the cabin. If you look at the pictures of my build you should see what I mean.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.