Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Billing No 472 - Mary Ann Build Log  (Read 26295 times)

Aidi

Re: Billing No 472 - Mary Ann Build Log
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 07:49:09 pm »

Did you have to lay planks on your deck, or varnish over the top of the pre-drawn lines?   From what i understand, the later versions of the Mary Ann use a planked deck which would count for it not having any markings on the deck

Sound about right?

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 08:06:26 pm »

Aidi,

I always plank my decks so the overlay was not useful for that. However the overlay printing showed the position of all the main deck fittings so helped alot with the positioning of them. Saved all that measuring. It was just a surprise to see it missing (If that makes sense).

Keep up the good work.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Aidi

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 08:17:05 pm »

Would sure have made life easier, thats for sure!   But it will be another challenge to work out and keep the ole grey matter ticking!

Aidi

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 12:07:13 am »

Following on from what you pointed out Bob,  I totally forgot, but there is a template which will make marking out the position of the cabins etc on the deck easier. 

If you look at the the very first set of pictures on this thread, the very bottom picture shows the template included in the kit.  This should make it far easier for placement.

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:08 am »

Look's like they now print it on paper instead of the deck.
Bob Vaughan

harrin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 01:01:42 pm »

Here's couple of pics (text in Finnish only, sorry!) of building my Mary Ann. Very nice boat, one of my favorites, and sails very well.

http://www.sulara.fi/artikkelit/maryann.htm

Aidi

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 04:16:08 pm »

Lots of sanding and fettling to get the edges of the decks and the frame verticals nice and flush.  I should have probably used a lower grade of sandpaper to get started and get the basic shapes before finishing with the 600 which i already had.  Over all i am pretty pleased with the result. 

Following on from the conversation about the deck markings, i have cut out and placed the provided plan on the deck. Again i was real pleased that everything lined up and it ran straight down the centerline.. Beginners luck?

Also, thanks to Harrin for the link to his build.  I am sure some of your pictures will become invaluable as reference points as i progress.

Aidi

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 07:23:34 pm »

Just a quick question before i start doing the planking.    I see from some pictures that some have used nails to hold planks in place.   Is this a personal preference or something that is recommened?   

Aidi

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 10:10:37 pm »

At this stage i have decided to go ahead without using nails.  If the need arises then i can still go ahead and use them.

If there is one stage which i have been looking forward to and at the same time be anxious its the start of the planking.  After some more reading on the subject I have managed to get the first one into place. I used a plank bending tool to put some cuts in the back side of the strip to help get it around the curves. I saw the planking clamps being used in another build, and thought they were a great idea.  I got them from Miskin Models and they are excellent! The velcro straps also came in useful again to keep the gap on the extreme bend as close to the hull as possible.  Lets hope the rest of the planking goes as good as the first!

More Coffee

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 10:40:35 pm »

Nice build ..

The velcro straps ...now thats a pretty slick idea  :-))

barryfoote

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 07:33:03 am »

Don't be afraid to use "nails" or more accurately pins to help with the planking. Just try not to push them in fully, so that when the plank is dry they are easily removed. Once you get to the heavily curved sections I think you will probably need them, although I do like your velcro straps idea.

Barry

More Coffee

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 01:23:31 am »

as Footski was saying ..and in addition there is a pusher tool for the pins ...may want to check into that ..maybe ..

barryfoote

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 08:18:30 am »

Those pusher for pins are good but be careful. It is very easy to push too hard so the pin almost buries itself in the wood. I try to start the pin off with one and finish it with a small hammer to the depth I want..

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:21 pm »

Aidi

Thank you very much for the build log - clear and interesting :D

I too would not use pins/nails, but every other clamping device known to personkind.

Don't forget the humble rubber band, and its larger brother the strip of model aircraft elastic (6mm x 1mm approx)  ~A metre length of this will wrap 50 times round a hull and apply pressure over a length of plank - and it can "reach" into difficult areas if you trap a block of something (balsa, hard foam) to transfer the force to where you need it - like the lower planks of a hulll near the keel.

Also remember the inner tube - bicycle, motor bike and car (and lorry).  Available free :} from tyre places. 
Heat resistant to about 200deg (stick it in the oven with the parts)
Slice across the tube to make small rubbber bands
Use as a long , strong bandage
slice round the tube to make strip (see above)
Stuff inside something and inflate gently to apply pressure in difficult places

watching and applauding on the square leg boundary
andrew

Aidi

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 12:10:55 am »

Not a lot of progress over the weekend.   After starting a quick thread about planking, i have finished doing the second layer of planking and going to decide how best to continue tomrrow.   Its been suggested that it might be better to start from the keel and work up, or even start in the middle.   Not sure which is the best approach yet.

The first two strips have gone on quite nicely.  A bit of sanding at the end to get rid of the small step, but that was to be expected.

barryfoote

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 08:03:30 am »

Now that looks great. If you decide to start planking in the middle. leave those planks on. I would even try the next two on either side, but try them dry to see how the bend goes. If it is too much, you will have to start trimming.

Barry

Aidi

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »

After my post with regards to planking, i have started to plank from the keel upwards.  First two layers have been applied and not looking too bad.  I am finding the planking clamps which i bought invaluable, and keeps everything nicely in place. 

Probably not the best job in the world, but i am pretty pleased with the result considering its my first attempt!

This will be it for a short while as work is taking me away from home for the next 10 days unfortunatley.

Greggy1964

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 11:39:50 pm »

For steaming planks I use an old steam wall paper stripper, the hose is attached to a length of lagged PVC drain pipe big enough to fit your longest plank.

The hose goes through a bung screw fixed at the bottom end and a removable bung at the other in which is cut a vent hole with an adjustable cover.

The pipe is supported at an angle of about 45 degrees to ensure the steam rises and the planks are evenly cooked.

Slip your planks in the tube, replace bung and cook for about an hour or so depending on plank thickness - don't forget to top up the reservoir on the steamer though!

With gloved hand remove bung and pull out rubbery planks as you need them, quickly clamp in place on hull before they cool and leave over night.

The planks don't have to go exactly in their finished positions, just closely enough so they remember the tight curve you want them to follow. This way you can fix a bundle at one go and shape them for final fit when they have cooled and set.

Its a slow job but your planks will go around tight curves!

Aidi

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 09:59:14 pm »

Howdie,

It seems like an age since i last posted here and did some work on the boat.  I should be heading home this weekend, so with a bit of luck ill be able to get started again next week and get some more pictures uploaded.

Rgds
Aidi

Aidi

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 10:25:43 pm »

After the best part of 4 weeks being away, I have finally managed to continue with the planking again. Not knowing any different, i think its coming along ok.  The planks seem to being going into place ok.  Hopefully over the next few days ill be able to progress more with the planking.

Aidi

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2009, 04:46:12 pm »

The planking is not so simple now! The curviture of the stern means alot more attention and shaping of the planks as they are laid. So far i have had to insert 2 stealers, but i reckon there will be a fair few more before i finish off.

Rgds
Aidi

Aidi

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:42 pm »

After a few reservations about how to proceed last week, things seem to have come together and one side of the hull is nearly complete.  I couldn't resist running the sandpaper over one side of the completed stern and smoothing it down a bit.  Nothing too vigerous, just enough to get the effect.  I'll not do it any more until the hull is complete.

Had a couple of areas where i found the planks were not sitting onto the frames as they should. It seems the frame is at fault so it will probably mean gluing a bit of wood to it, then sanding down so the planks will glue to them. Anyway, this will be it for a while, as work takes me away for yet another 2 to 3 week :-(.

barryfoote

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2009, 10:12:02 pm »

Not easy, but very rewarding. A great job so far.. :-)) :-)) :-))

Aidi

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:11 pm »

A bit annoyed today  :(( :((

Whilst glueing some of the last remaing planks, i pushed too hard on the hull and managed to break off two of the posts which are on the deck level of the model.   I dont think it will be too much of a problem as they shoudl be able to be glued back into position when i put the strip around the top of the deck.

I am more annoyed that i have managed to get so far with the build and break something at this point.  Oh well, i guess its one of the joys of models... if something happens, figure out how to resolve the problem and move on!

Planking is nearly complete, and looking forward (with a bit of anticipation) to starting the sanding and filling of the hull.

Rgds
Aidi

barryfoote

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2009, 09:57:06 pm »

Aidi,

We all break them at some time. Stick them back on, they will be fine when it all comes together......which reminds me, on some models those above deck struts are removed after planking on many models. Are they with your build?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.