Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billing No 472 - Mary Ann Build Log  (Read 26307 times)

Aidi

Re: Billing No 472 - Mary Ann Build Log
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2009, 10:12:36 pm »

On the Mary Ann, the struts remain in place.    I think what i'll do is get the strip around the struts in place, then glue them back in position.  With the surface area being so small it would be near on impossible to glue them at this time.   

Aidi

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2009, 10:30:15 pm »

Finally... The last plank on the hull has been put into place!  its taken a good while to get this far, a number of hurdles and much scratching of the head, but its all paid off and although its not the prettiest at the moment I am pretty pleased with the result.  I reckon once its been sanded down and good use of filler it will be ok.

Any good tips on sanding and filling which might help me along my way??

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2009, 06:00:51 am »

Aidi ....good looking traditional under water hull lines

Before you start the external hull sanding....you may wish to consider reinforcing the internals of the hull with glass tissue & fibreglas resin - this will provide two benefits  :-))

1) you will have a hull with planking that will not distort or deform when sanding
2) you will have a water tight hull for the future

Keep posting .jpgs..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

barryfoote

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2009, 08:18:31 am »

Derek,

As Aidi is building this as a static display model only, there is no need to fibreglass the inside... %) %)

Aidi,

Try to use a small sanding block if you can to keep the sandpaper flat and even. Check the results regularly as the planking can go too thin in places if you are not careful..

Aidi

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 09:04:07 pm »

I was a little nervous getting on with the stage of sanding and filling.  I knew that in some places the planking would be quite thin, and was worried that i would break through the hull and end up having to patch it.   Lucky for me, after sanding to get a smooth surface on most of the hull, no holes appeared!!

Took a while to figure out the best method to get the filler applied.  Found the best way was to use my old Sky Viewing Card!  Seemed to have worked quite nicely.

With this being my first attempt at building a plank on frame, i have probably used a lot more filler than most!

I dont think the pictures below really do it justice, as when i run my hands over the hull its nice and smooth.   There are just one or two areas which need just a tiny bit of filler, but overall i think its ready for me to have a go at painting.  More reading on the various techniques involved i think!  BTW, it will all be done with a brush.  The only exception might be the primer.

barryfoote

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2009, 10:10:43 pm »

Aidi,

Coming on nicely, but I am afraid you are some way off painting it yet. The paint will show up any imperfection so get back to work sanding it really smooth. Then when you think it is done, sand again. Then try a thin coat of primer, preferably sprayed. This will show up imperfections you didn't think were there, so it will be back to sanding again. Hard work, but it will be well worth it in the end.

Barry

john j

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2009, 10:44:46 pm »

I`m watching this with interest  :-)) Whats the deal when the hull is varnished instead of painted, as regards the filler ?

Is it the case the joints just have to be perfect ?

Is it ok to plank the hull from the top and bottom, and meet in the middle ?

cheers
                                                  john

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2009, 01:28:22 am »

johnj.........asks.... "Whats the deal when the hull is varnished instead of painted, as regards the filler ? - Is it the case the joints just have to be perfect ?

Well jj...essentially yes....but we have a few 'helps' we can apply

1) using thicker planking material allows for a greater sand off & can eliminate the need for any filler...[model planking of 1/8" or 3.17 mm is not uncommon]
2) planks will need to be tapered towards the FWD & AFT locations
3) the planks will also need angular tapering on the top & lower face....... :-)) ....just visualize a true rectangular plank butted up to the next plank when going through a change of section  :o

A member here kno3....has a splendid example of a varnished planked hull ice breaker.....search under live steam & 'knor3' ......

I would not necessarily suggest this latter construction for your first planked hull  >:-o .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

john j

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2009, 01:46:41 am »

Hi derek,

Thanks for the reply, i think this is gonna be a very steep learning curve.

Aidi

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2009, 04:01:17 pm »

Aidi,

Coming on nicely, but I am afraid you are some way off painting it yet.

Barry

After a lot more reading, i went out and got some P38 Filler from Halfords.  A bit of experimenting and I can see where you are coming from Barry!  The P38 is much easier to work with than the filler i was originally using, and the finish with it is like glass!   Takes a while to get it that smooth, but its worth the effort!    Ill get on with doing the rest of the hull and post some pics as i go

Rgds
Aidi

ajb68

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2009, 05:31:23 pm »

Its looking very good mate , keep up the relentless sanding it will be worth it ! i think the model you are building is what my old command used to look like when she was built  :-))

Regards Andy

ajb68

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2009, 05:34:25 pm »

Just a thought but is there a set of plans available for this kind of boat , bigger of course about 3 ft
Regards Andy

Aidi

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2010, 07:54:30 pm »

Well after a break over Christmas, i have gotten started on the boat again.   Not a huge amount done to be honest.   Got the planking on around the vertical posts.  It was my first attempt at bending this thin ply, but it didnt come out too bad in the end.  Didnt make it any easier having broken off a couple of the posts at the stern.

The small drain holes (scuppers?) look quite nice.  Maybe a small amount of work to just perfectly square them off.    Probably down to inexperiece, but i seem to have used a fair amount of filler!   I started off using this white putty stuff, but soon found that it was not that good.  Started to use P38 and it gives a much better finish.  One of the sides of the hull is nearly done, and the other a good evenings work to get it looking and feeling nice.   

Overall, i am quite happy with my progress being it my first build.  Looking forward to the next milestone, laying the first coat of paint!!

Rgds
Aidi

Aidi

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:52 pm »

After lots or reading on how to best get the strip to bend around the hull, i opted for hot water and soaking the strip of wood for a few minutes.  I was pleasantly suprised how easily it bent into shape. I left it clamped over night for the wood to dry and it kept its shape quite nicely when it was time to glue it on.

With the hull now nice and smooth all over, the rubbing strips have been glued into place along with the chain plates. Just a small bit of sanding to do to cover up and small marks and it will be ready for a coat of primer i think.  The small vertical rubbing strips were quite fiddly to do, but i got there in the end!  The main rubbing strip around the hull went on a lot easier than i imagined.

Rgds
Aidi

Aidi

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »

Not posted here for a while, i hope you hadn't thought i had abandoned the build!   Had a bit of a hectic time of late, but should be back to it now.  Hopefully a few pictures in the coming days.

Rgds
Aidi

Aidi

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:20 pm »

Another milestone reached with the build.  Today i finally finished the hull paint work!  I have done it with Humbrol Satin by hand and pretty pleased with the results.   Its by no means the best it could be... that i guess comes with experience!   There were just a couple of areas on the hull which could have done with a tiny bit of filler, but i decided against filling them as it would give the hull a bit originality.

There is an ever so slight ridge between the two colours on the water line, but I am not worried in the slightest about it.  I dont envisage it being handled by anyone when its complete!!

I achieved the finsh by using 2 coats of dulux primer and undercoat, and very lightly sanding with 1200 wet/dry.   Then 2 coats of satin white again very lightly sanded with 1200 wet/dry.   2 coats of satin brown for the bottom of the hull with 1200 wet/dry.

Maybe a little unconventional, but once it was all dry, i dipped some kitchen towel in water and gently buffed the coats of paint.  This brought it up quite nicely! Its now not too dull and not too glossy which is the result i wanted.

Overall, considering its my first attempt i am pretty pleased with the result!

Rgds
Aidi

Aidi

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32:04 pm »

I started on the deckhouse mounting this week. Its not much to look at, but it was quite a challenge to put together.  Because of the thin ply it was difficult to get it in position and suitably clamped down in order for the glue to set.  To make things a bit easier, as you can see in the picture i used some off cuts in the corners to give a greater purchase for the glue, and it also make the job way easier to clamp.  The beam across the mounting was not so much for strenth, but to keep the two sides parallel when glueing.  I couldnt see the point in removing it, so left it in situ.

The front angled part of the mounting again was a challenge.  After sanding down the edges to ensure a good fit on the angles, with some pins, tape, clamps and some selective language it all went together.  A bit of sanding after and i am please with the result.

The next bit was to sand the base of it so it matched the contours of the deck.  Again, took a while but it now a nice flush fit.   A bit more prep and it will be ready for painting!

Rgds
Aidan

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2010, 05:17:20 am »

She is really looking good now. I love the hull shape.  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

barryfoote

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2010, 08:08:25 am »

She looks beautiful. All that sanding was worth it in the end... :-)) :-)) :-))

Aidi

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »

More work on the deck objects this week, and also started laying the decking.  A few of the small deck objects were a real pain to glue.  Took a bit of thinking to get them right, but overall i am pleased with the results. The curve on the foredeck hatch was easier that expected.  I ended up using my food steamer! 10 minutes in it gave the plywood perfect flexibility to create the curve.

Also started on the decking.  So far so good!  There are a couple of areas where i will need to fill gaps with ever so small stealers (is this the correct term to use when refering to deck planks?) will be the order of the day. 

Everytime I look at the next stage it kind of overwhelms me on how to best achieve the result, and i often wonder if i  am going to cock it up. But, i have quickly learnt that patience is a virtue whilst building this model, and that extra few minutes figuring out how to approach it really does pay off.

Aidi

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:18 pm »

A quick update on where I am with the build.  The decking is now in place and the first coat of varnish is on.   The pilot house is well on its way too.  It might not look much at this time, but many hours have been spent to get it to this stage.  All the detailing around the windows and the rear door took a fair amount of time and patience!

Again, I am pretty pleased with the outcome.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.