The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Any Other Builds

waterproofing fast electrics!

(1/2) > >>

boatmadman:
I have run my first fast electric mono, and find there is some water gets up the flexi shaft. This appears to have been splashed around onto the receiver rendering it dodgy!? >:(

Can anyone give me some tips on leak prevention, and also some form of waterproof box(?) for a receiver?

Thanks

Ian

ukengineman:
I have a Graupner Key West and I also seem to get water up the flexi shaft. This is despite the fact that the direction of the spiral should prevent this happening. A simple way of waterproofing receivers, batteries etc is to fit them in balloons. This is an old idea but it does work.
Alan

Fast Electricals:
Here are a couple of ideas on how to contain any stray water that gets into your boat, if all other methods of prevention have failed. Try fitting a cowl made fron an old aerosol lid around the motor end of the prop shaft. It will stop watert being sprayed around the inside of your boat.

Cut some foam dishcloths to fit inside your hulls. They will soak up any stray water and stop it sloshing around; and by noting the damp areas, you should be able to tell where it is coming from.

Neil

BobF:
Hi
I have a Key West, and I get no water in at all.

I always fit a piece of silicone tube over the top of the rudder tube, so it just nips the rudder shaft to act as a water seal.

I used to run a club 500 which during the first season was was always completely dry.
The second season, despite all efforts, it was always well filled with water after each race.
The third season was again completely dry.
I had changed nothing, so am completely baffled.

I have a couple of projects on the go, which are a Kyosho Blue Streak and a Dateline Predator
both submurged drive, and powered by 700BBs. They both have very bad water ingress which I am trying to cure at the moment
Bob

BobF:
Hi,

Thinking moore about water up the prop shaft.
 If a PTFE thrust washer is used, and as the thrust is against the end bearing of the tube and the boss of the prop, no water should really be able to go up the shaft should it. Even if a normal brass or s.s. washer is used as a thrust washer, this should still all but seal the outer end of the tube.
Any thoughts on this.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version