Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Bounty  (Read 2713 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
HMS Bounty
« on: September 27, 2009, 06:37:59 am »

Here are some photos of HMS Bounty, built and modified from the Artesania kit by one of our two lady members, Margaret O'Nelll. Margaret is a retired nurse, and has also had a varied life having worked as a deck hand on a fishing trawler in her younger days, as well as helping her late husband run a farm. She goes sailing periodically on "Soren Larsen", a tall ship built in Denmark in 1948-49, now based in New Zealand. "Soren Larsen" starred in the TV series, The Onedin Line, and also appeared in movies such as The French Lieutenant's Woman, Count of Monte Cristo and Shackleton.

Margaret built the model of HMS Bounty for the Ballina Naval and Maritime Museum, and is also involved in restoration and refurbishment of other models in the museum's collection. She brought the model to our club's sailing day this morning, where I took the photos. All members present were extremely impressed, and I felt the photos were worth sharing here on the forum.

Peter.

PS The photos were taken inside our club's storage container, as there was a 30 knot wind blowing which may have caused havoc with the rigging.

Damien

Re: HMS Bounty
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 08:44:49 am »

An excellent model by a master craftswoman a delight to view, thanks for posting Peter.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brooks

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:57:14 am »

Very nice, convey my compliments! The cutaway is neat.

Her Bounty reminds me of my cruise on HM Bark Endeavour (Hull to British Virgin Islands, 60days). I believe they shared ancestry. That blunt bathtub bow is very distinctive (and a bear to steer, Endeavour kept wanting to swerve, ala a tailwheel plane's groundloop). I hung my hammock just out from under the center grating, good ventilation, but you needed your sleeping bag. The Australians and New Zealanders aboard were great people. And we had superb food :-). Endeavour is a beautiful ship, a lot of love went into crafting her, and it shows.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:11:09 pm »

Great vessel, well done.

.... I see Margaret  gave up on the planking half way thorough! Yes I hate planking too!  %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:11:12 pm »

Very observant, Martin  ;D

Here is more of Margaret's work, this one is a model of the "Endeavour". She obviously persevered with the planking this time.

Peter.

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 06:08:18 am »

Beautiful work.
Hope i can get even half way to that standard with my HMS Supply.
cheers
kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.