Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Sailing Canoe Video  (Read 2487 times)

Greggy1964

Model Sailing Canoe Video
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:35:22 pm »

It's taken me nearly two days to sort out a video clip and work out how to put the video up on youtube but at last we have it.

Here's a 3 minute clip for your pleasure, it's a bit out of focus in points because the camera was on auto focus as I was trying to sail the model and take video footage at the same time.

She really goes don't she?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfiAmpvd-GA

Enjoy

Greggy1964

Re: Model Sailing Canoe Video
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 05:24:52 pm »

Here is another short video showing details of the hull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5J_SV399-g&feature=channel

bikemec

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:59 pm »

What a lovely boat, I work as a canoe instructor, (see avatar)

I was thinking of doing this as a larger version with an action Man (GI Joe) to hide the electrics the origonal had a rudder system operated foot levers via ropes. I did free sail this one but need a larger sail and much larger lee boards

The boat is a PBK 17 and I did the sail and lee boards to scale to a pattern by the designer

Greggy1964

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 11:01:22 am »

Hello Bikemec,

Thank you for your comment, the actual boat was designed as a morph between a canoe and a sailing dinghy. I like the sleek shape of canoes but wanted something I could sit in with space hence the broader beam.

Your model looks great, when and if you build your larger model don't forget to take photos of the build and put them here!

I personally like to see folks attempting the more unusual sailing model subjects and I would be interested in watching your project develop.

The bigger the model the better it sails I find, so a GI Joe sized model should perform much better. I'm guessing by the photo that your current model is about 6" to 8" long.

My daughters had G I Joe and Barby figures and they were 12" tall which are about 1/6th scale, so your new model would be about 3ft long I would guess. At that scale you could add ballast and there would be plenty of room for miniature radio gear.

My canoe has about 1kg of ballast under the floor boards and a pivoting dagger board and rudder and as the video demonstrates, model types such as these can be made to sail successfully.

It is important to get the sail area to match the underwater profile including hull, dagger board and rudder so that everything balances around the centre of effort. This way you limit the side slip when sailing and all the energy in the sail is used to drive the model forward.

I have found this forum to be friendly and free with technical advice so would encourage you to post questions about your new canoe design.

bikemec

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:32:49 pm »

I'm building a tug and a few static canoes just now so this will be my next project,

the model above was about 2' long The table it's on is 3'6" X 5' it sailed ok with some stones for ballast, and it needed it.

I thought your boat was similar to a Rob Roy canoe, semi decked and Lapstraked hull

I also like more unusual sailing craft so this will be created at some point,

Agree about the site the search button has been my friend, so much on here. I you want if about real size canoes worth looking on the forum at www.songofthepaddle.co.uk nice folk there too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.