Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ticket to Ryde!  (Read 2211 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Ticket to Ryde!
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:10:53 pm »

Wightlink brought their new passenger ferries into service today so I went down to have a look. They are a great improvement on the previous "FastCats" with a sun deck which makes a superb viewing platform of the Solent scene. This is the first exterior deck facility on the route since the withdrawal of m.v. Southsea in 1988.

They would make an interesting modelling subject as they are propelled by conventional screws rather than waterjets.

Anyway, I had a great day with a fish & chips lunch in Ryde!

Some more pics in my album on the Model Boats site: http://www.modelboats.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=8044

Colin

hover tim

Re: Ticket to Ryde!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:34:39 am »

Very nice wont be cheap though the car ferry is over priced so i bet this wont be far off i still think the hovercraft is better and faster

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:23:19 pm »

The first 10,000 passengers who book online are offered a £5 return.

Standard adult day return is £14.20, £11.00 fo5r a half day return. Various offers on Wightlink website. My ticket was a seniot citizen half day return at £8.26 which i thought was fair value!

Hovercraft is boring, stuck inside and surrounded by spray!

Colin

hover tim

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:18 am »

You may think that but its only for 10 mins and i rough weather its great and watching the hovercraft derat is always entertaing there always someone watching hovercraft and they never get stuck in the sand unlike the white link car ferry 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:52:27 am »

Yes, the hovercaraft are certainly great to watch but when travelling across I always like to look at the view and take pics like this one(!). Can't do that through a salt stained window!

Colin

hover tim

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 02:14:46 pm »

I admit you cant see out of the windows but the new one has an anti spray skirt so you can see out the windows nice pic by the way

Sea Commander

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:12:32 pm »

Hi,

Now your talking,

Spent many happy hours on the old BR ferries, shanklin, southsea and was it the Ryde.

They were just great, spent many holiday pm's as a foot passenger. Once spotted a couple of Fairy Huntsman's racing across the Solent. It was just nice to be on deck in the open air watching what was going on. Camper Nicks was always worth having a look at on the way out of Portsmouth and of course we had a bit of a Navy back then. Also, caught the Royal Yacht a couple of times. 

Sorry, hope nobody is asleep

Cheers

Mark 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 11:47:15 pm »

Yes, always something to see in the Solent. And when you are in a small yacht, lots of things to avoid!

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:26 am »

hover tim.......I do not understand ..."the hovercraft derat" ...is it when the airbags deflate / collapse?  :embarrassed: ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

nick_75au

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 01:16:41 am »

With a name like that does the "Hoff" have shares in Wightlink {-)
Nick

hover tim

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 09:18:11 am »

no its just me not rading what i am typing it sould be hovercraft departing when the skirt deflates its known as comming off cousion if you go to my flicker site theres alsorts about hovercraft but also some pics of some goings on on the solent thery are on
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19759955@N07/page38/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19759955@N07/page39/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.